Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2019, 21:42   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Keep the rubbers as clean as possible, the new glass is very soft compared to the originals.
Hmm, I bet it's not though Andy

Gilly Splintex in Belgium were the original supplier, and as far as I know BS857 has remained the same since 1967.

I know that Pilkington in St Helens operate to the same standard, and I can't see any other manufacturers not complying.

The process of manufacturing curved tempered glass is very specific, the polished edge float is placed on a fused silica die which is lubricated with sulphur dioxide gas which is heated to 850 Celcius primarily for 80 seconds, then at 720 Celcius for 120 seconds, before being quenched with HVLP or compressed air for 15 seconds.

The result is a very hard glass, with a molecular structure that forms a "skin" to the outer layer (compressive prestress)

Glass tempering is an artform, and once the tempering furnace is set correctly it's almost impossible to get it wrong, and complying with BS857 requires regular batch testing of product throughout a production run shift.

A much more likely explanation is the quality of the felt liner of the door glass weather strip seals reducing in the later models.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2019, 21:44   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

That's odd Bri, I fitted a newly supplied glass and weather strips for a member on here and within 2 weeks it had scratched?! The glass in my old diesel is from a T reg car and does not have one line on it. Maybe its luck