Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2015, 09:32   #1
yelnats
Avid contributor

MGZT-T CDTI+135 AUTO

Default european breakdown cover

Taking the ZT-T and van to France for most of June and need breakdown and repatriation cover- bit of a minefield for me-any recommendations or suggestions from personal experience would be much appreciated.
yelnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:35   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnats View Post
Taking the ZT-T and van to France for most of June and need breakdown and repatriation cover- bit of a minefield for me-any recommendations or suggestions from personal experience would be much appreciated.
Make sure they will bring you home if the cost of repatriation is greater than the list price for the car. Many will not.
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:00   #3
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Yes, Klarzy is correct.
It seems to be in the small print on all of the policies that I have looked at.
I am yet to find one that doesn't.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:05   #4
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

I had a quick scout around last week - many will only cover cars up to 10 or 12 years old. Cover for older cars can be found, but the costs will usually make your eyes water.

However, I did find a company who appear to be very reasonable for cars up to 15 years old.
http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/europe...n-benefits.php

I've not gone through their small print yet - the most important being as Klarzy has pointed out - will they repatriate cars of little value ?. I'm based in NE Scotland, so repatriation from France will be very expensive.

Edit - just read the small print

3. The costs of returning your vehicle to the UK if we believe that the cost of doing so would be greater than the market value of your vehicle in the UK, after the breakdown.
4. The costs of returning your vehicle to the UK if repairs can be done locally and you are not willing to allow this to happen.

Edit 2!
I wonder if you could get them to take the car to a French ferry port, and then use your UK breakdown cover to get the car taken home.......... there's probably something in the small print to stop this happening - but breaking the journey (and the liability) into 2 would probably mean than neither leg of the journey would exceed the cars value.

Last edited by ratchet; 22nd May 2015 at 10:20..
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 20:30   #5
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I'm getting a bit wrinkly so qualify for insurance through Saga and their European cover seems fine (I've read the small as well as I can). Use it on the car with caravan now and previously insured my 20 year old motorhome without quibble. I am away at the moment so can't check, think I pay about £110/£120 and I do 2/3 month trips twice a year.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 20:48   #6
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I have just had a look at the small print on the Saga policy and it the same old thing I'm afraid:

"We do not cover the following
If the insured vehicle is repaired before your scheduled return to the United
Kingdom then you will be responsible for returning the insured vehicle to the
United Kingdom at your own cost and for all associated costs.
Any amount to repatriate the insured vehicle that exceeds the current market value of the insured vehicle in the United Kingdom."

http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/brea...nce-table.aspx

Download the policy booklet and it is on Page 15 "7.3 – Returning the insured vehicle to the United Kingdom".

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 21:30   #7
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Thanks for that. I will study further, it begs the question of how the caravan is treated, market value wise of the total outfit. I have had a breakdown on the way down to Portugal in April, i called saga who were very efficient in putting wheels in motion for recovery but I subsequently found I was fairly close to garage (amazingly ex Rover in the Pyrenees foothills) and campsite so stood them down.

Thanks again
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 08:11   #8
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

we were in france last month and looked quite a bit into breakdown cover. this is who the majority ended up going with

https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/sing...eakdown-cover/

one of the cheapest for a week, no age limit on the car but the same as every other one we looked at, limited to the value of the car

recovery from France should not be too expensive so going off Glasses guide the car value should cover it

as a guide we had the TF (clutch failure) recovered from Italy a couple of year ago and the cost about £1500 so france should be a lot less than that.

just dont expect your car home in a day or two, ours took over 3 weeks

another thing..... no matter who you deal with all calls seem to go through a central call centre. we were with Peter Best Insurance but it was the AA or RAC who answered the calls depending on time of day we rang
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote