Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2021, 18:27   #61
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Have to agree with that. It made me wonder how many traction engines Jeremy Clarkson’s Farm Lamborghini tractor could do the work of?
With him driving it you could probably count them all on one hand, and I'm not talking about a hand of pontoon!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:38   #62
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I think we are in agreement but expressing things differently. The point I intended to make was that a person should think carefully before expiring their trusted older car with a modern one because regardless of the make, ongoing costs are likely to be higher with the more modern vehicle.

It is likely to prove more economical to spend £1k on a trusty old car than to buy a newer one.

This is so true. I bought the Spice tourer with at least 200,000 miles on the clock though it said 198,000. I knew that for me to be happy I would be changing all the Brake components from the pedal to the nipples and all the suspension components including subframes. Little things like wheel bearings you do when you do the back plates as a mater of course the steering rack looked like it had been replaced. The Exhaust well baked bean cans rule OK, so that took a day with my TIG welder and some pieces of stainless and a length of stainless pipe. I’ll buy a stainless flexy joint and weld it in the cat looked better than the cheaper ones available as a stainless sports cat was looking like £500, I’ll do it when it fails must buy a length of pipe to replace the bit I didn’t do.

I knew this when I bought her and costed it at about £1200 worth of spares and either time when I felt up to it or £1600 pounds in labour. So we’ll under 4K for a new car which I would know inside out when I finished.

Pick a same size new car pay at 0% over 4 years and your deposit is more than buying the car and parts and doing the work and you still have a £360 per month bill for four years. Why do people work to pay the motor trade. Life is for living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 19:09   #63
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
I believe similar conversations and debates were had by devout Lanchester LD10 owners when the Ford Cortina was launched.

With hindsight, however, progress was undeniable.
We had this Barker bodied LD10 in the family for many years until around four years ago.

https://ibb.co/1qgkfRj

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 19:17   #64
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
We had this Barker bodied LD10 in the family for many years until around four years ago.

https://ibb.co/1qgkfRj

Both lovely fun cars brings a smile to my face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote