Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2021, 13:26   #51
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
What is the problem? These cars do use petrol, so what is high?
What has the water pump got to do with it?
The temperatures are fine, it looks to me.
Good morning and thank you.
I am relying on the recommendations of the 75' owners .
I've read everywhere that the optimum temperature of kv6 is about 90 degrees.

I know that my fuel consumption will be better if the engine runs at the right temperature. I also noticed that it takes a little time to reach its temperature (82°).
Shuriken_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2021, 13:39   #52
MGtom91
Regular poster

MG ZT KV6 (160)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken_57 View Post
Good morning and thank you.
I am relying on the recommendations of the 75' owners .
I've read everywhere that the optimum temperature of kv6 is about 90 degrees.

I know that my fuel consumption will be better if the engine runs at the right temperature. I also noticed that it takes a little time to reach its temperature (82°).
Same as mine, as posted before and takes slightly longer to reach operating temperature than before with the new stat opening earlier.
MGtom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2021, 14:16   #53
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
Same as mine, as posted before and takes slightly longer to reach operating temperature than before with the new stat opening earlier.
Hi, it’s weird, maybe the new thermostats aren’t the same as the original ones anymore. Because most v6 owners have higher temperatures than ours.
Old 7th July 2021, 14:46   #54
MGtom91
Regular poster

MG ZT KV6 (160)

DMGRS assures me that the batch is not known to be faulty and I trust what they say however, if not enough people (if anyone at all) report the low running temps to them then of course how can they be aware of any issues. 100% though they said these come fitted with 82° stats.

Unfortunately, I did not check what mine was running at before as I had the classic leak so just changed the lot. I'm assuming if it had an original MGR stat before, it would have been running hotter than it is now.

The things that bother me the most is come winter if the gauge struggles to reach mid way (75°), at the moment my aircon doesnt work so when this is working and the low speed rad fan is constantly running, will my car be EVEN slower than it is now to reach operating temp . Also how much running at 80° is going to affect fuel consumption compared to running at 90°
Old 7th July 2021, 15:23   #55
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

High fuel consumption is a well known fact of the V6. Worst with the auto box. These cars are not very fuel efficient, but driven with care can reach about 10km liter in automatic form.
I don't know where people have got this from, but only at very low temperatures and /or with a faulty temperature sender, will the fuel management system provide a rich mixture.
80 degrees is well above that.!
So to state the car has high fuel consumption (without specifying) and then suspect the water pump, makes no sense at all.
So I simply don't see any problem here!
Maybe just keep an eye on a possible water loss, and otherwise just enjoy the car.
Analysis paralysis is not going to help anyone!
Old 7th July 2021, 16:29   #56
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

This may help....

Message text posted by me on the 28th January 2017
Quote:
That is what i thought too until i asked X-Part about it and here is the reply....

"Hi,
PEM101050 holds thermostat PEL100370
According to the actual engineering drawing it has a range of S.T.O. ( start to open ) figures.
It was set at S.T.O. 88c until 1995 then it changed.
It now has upper and lower tolerances.
Set between S.T.O 80c and 84c so it is stamped middle tolerance of 82c

Fully open at 96c"

If the drawings were passed over to the Chinese then replacements may well have been made to the newer specs.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2021, 16:43   #57
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
This may help....

If the drawings were passed over to the Chinese then replacements may well have been made to the newer specs.
That also makes much more sense!
here, driving the car on a summers day, stepping out of it, you are engulfed in a sauna, standing next to the car.
The temperatures are very high, and the engine bay temperature ridiculous.
I think my MGF is set to start the fan in the engine bay (not the radiator cooling fan) at 110 (or 105?) degrees from memory to keep the engine bay cool!. (it is a mid engined car)
So high engine bay temperatures are not desirable!

I consider myself happy, if any of my cars run at mid 80es!!
Old 7th July 2021, 20:19   #58
MGtom91
Regular poster

MG ZT KV6 (160)

Question

I would be happier with mid 80s rather than 78 to 80. I have noticed something when driving, not sure if it means anything...

(Aircon off as its not gassed, econ active)With atc set to coldest, driving around, the car reaches 75° on the ipk and then it's there for another couple of miles and seems to struggle with the climb up to 80° and during driving, temp slowly fluctuates between 78 and 80°

... atc set to hottest, engine temp will climb steady straight up to 80° and maintain this temp.

Now usually, it is the other way around whereby, when you use the heaters, it has a cooling effect on the engine and takes longer for engine/coolant to get up to operating temp?

When at full temp 80°, into neutral and coasting sees the temp rise to 81° and then back into gear and gas sees temp back to 80° under load.
Old 7th July 2021, 23:31   #59
Shuriken_57
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
I would be happier with mid 80s rather than 78 to 80. I have noticed something when driving, not sure if it means anything...

(Aircon off as its not gassed, econ active)With atc set to coldest, driving around, the car reaches 75° on the ipk and then it's there for another couple of miles and seems to struggle with the climb up to 80° and during driving, temp slowly fluctuates between 78 and 80°

... atc set to hottest, engine temp will climb steady straight up to 80° and maintain this temp.

Now usually, it is the other way around whereby, when you use the heaters, it has a cooling effect on the engine and takes longer for engine/coolant to get up to operating temp?

When at full temp 80°, into neutral and coasting sees the temp rise to 81° and then back into gear and gas sees temp back to 80° under load.
I have the same thing on my car. I think the thermostat isn't as good as the original parts. The car takes a time to reach 80 82°.
Old 8th July 2021, 21:16   #60
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
This may help....

thankyou for this usefull post phil. this backs up what i have always claimed about the performance of my kv6 during warm up and normal running since fitting my kaiser stat. mine runs around 82 degrees . good to hear. .....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote