Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th September 2021, 20:40   #1
donc
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Brighter headlamps

Now that the dark nights are setting in I wonder if anyone has had success fitting brighter headlamps. I've a 2005 contemporary and though I've polished the lens the light output is no way near that of a modern car.
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 23:30   #2
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I find modern lights too bright, dazzling and wouldn't like to inflict them on anyone else.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 06:55   #3
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I use these

H7 Philips RacingVision GT200 12V 55W Halogen Bulbs

The best I've tried by far, and remaining legal for your MOT

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 10:49   #4
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I find modern lights too bright, dazzling and wouldn't like to inflict them on anyone else.
I entirely agree, all too often we are being blinded by over bright headlights, how are these things legal?.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 14:39   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

There are many vehicles that could do with the aiming being set up properly.
Apart from that the "modern" SUV designs have them too far off the ground.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2021, 18:29   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I was told that the modern "Reactolite" lenses and similar have a permanent minimum 20% tint. I have a pair of standard lenses for night driving and the difference is amazing.
Old 27th September 2021, 14:43   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I was told that the modern "Reactolite" lenses and similar have a permanent minimum 20% tint. I have a pair of standard lenses for night driving and the difference is amazing.
The risk is "losing" detail in the shadows, it can be rather dangerous.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 07:56   #8
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

During my time owning Rover 75 and MG ZT, I had a similar issue regarding poor lighting, This was an issue, but a fix is possible if you are brave enough to take headlamps apart !
My fix was an obvious one really when you think about it.
Most of us have either refurbished the outer lens on the lamp units (I had mine done for me professionally), and a slight difference was noted. But we need to understand that dust and debris will get into the headlamp body eventually. The projector lamps are notably the worst ones for this.
I removed the lamps from the vehicle, removed the lenses and bulbs. Using glasses lens cleaning wipes, I cleaned inside the globe lens and the external side of the globe. The re-assembly was far easier than the strip down surgery, fitted the original bulbs and re-assembled the car. The difference was great and long lasting.
So in short, if you decide to clean something, clean all of it to make the best possible outcome.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 12:19   #9
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
During my time owning Rover 75 and MG ZT, I had a similar issue regarding poor lighting, This was an issue, but a fix is possible if you are brave enough to take headlamps apart !
My fix was an obvious one really when you think about it.
Most of us have either refurbished the outer lens on the lamp units (I had mine done for me professionally), and a slight difference was noted. But we need to understand that dust and debris will get into the headlamp body eventually. The projector lamps are notably the worst ones for this.
I removed the lamps from the vehicle, removed the lenses and bulbs. Using glasses lens cleaning wipes, I cleaned inside the globe lens and the external side of the globe. The re-assembly was far easier than the strip down surgery, fitted the original bulbs and re-assembled the car. The difference was great and long lasting.
So in short, if you decide to clean something, clean all of it to make the best possible outcome.
This is a great idea, however not something I would contemplate realistically, and it is fair to say, the standard lights on the 75 are not good, so whenever I am able and it is legal I use my fogs as well, after all if so called running lights can 'blind' other drivers......
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 20:57   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
Agree. I suspect many of them are illegally set up to suit the driver after passing the MOT. Lots of super bright bulbs available off the internet which state 'off road use only' are probably 'on road' and swapped out for the MOT too. I really notice a problem in a low car and prefer driving the Transit at night.
Tried different night driving glasses and they all sacrifice detail. Helps to have a super clean windscreen and essential to look away and try to avoid being dazzled.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote