Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2009, 23:07   #21
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikTheGeek View Post
You say it clears your windows and makes the interior nice and toasty. How? I've heard before that they are supposed to swith the ATC panel on in the car, but mine doesn't. Or at least it doesn't light up to indicate it is on. I haven't actually sat in the car with the FBH running to see if warm air comes out of the vents, but I couldn't hear the air vent blowers when I was outside of the car fiddling with it all.

Does the ATC illuminate or is it just on, in the background, minding its own business, blowing air in to the car?

Or, after all that, do I still have a fault? Its the later 9xxxxx FBH that I have.

Mind you, at least when I start the engine and manually turn on the ATC, the air is warm coz the engine is warm!

Nick
If the parking heater is fitted and working properly then the ATC or fan should come on automatically when the FBH is active. I just have the basic heating system, not ATC but the parking heater works fine and, as previously said, 15 minutes is ideal even on the coldest days. I also fitted the Webasto T100 so I have the remote option.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 01:56   #22
billnick
Loves to post

ex 75

I'm not sure on this, but I thought you had to make sure the ATC was switched on before activating the parking heater, I know I do before I lock the car up for the night.

bill.
billnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:29   #23
NikTheGeek
Gets stuck in

2002 Range Rover P38

Tried this morning in the 1'c temperatures we have outside and the FBH starts up fine, but no life out of the ATC. In fact, sitting in the car there is nothing coming from the heater vents.

If, however, I put the key in and turn the ignition on without starting, the ATC/vents do blow warm air out. So the heat is obviously circulating around the engine.

Any ideas what to look for?

tnx, Nick
NikTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:37   #24
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnick View Post
I'm not sure on this, but I thought you had to make sure the ATC was switched on before activating the parking heater, I know I do before I lock the car up for the night.

bill.
Quite correct, Bill. The ATC/fan must be left in the "on" position.

Old 1st February 2009, 09:39   #25
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
Tried this morning in the 1'c temperatures we have outside and the FBH starts up fine, but no life out of the ATC. In fact, sitting in the car there is nothing coming from the heater vents.

If, however, I put the key in and turn the ignition on without starting, the ATC/vents do blow warm air out. So the heat is obviously circulating around the engine.

Any ideas what to look for?

tnx, Nick
Are you certain you have the parking heater fitted? Or just the FBH?

Old 1st February 2009, 09:40   #26
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The Parking Heater is an 'add on' to the fuel burning heater which is additional circuitry to switch on the ATC automatically.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:54   #27
NikTheGeek
Gets stuck in

2002 Range Rover P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The Parking Heater is an 'add on' to the fuel burning heater which is additional circuitry to switch on the ATC automatically.
Oh

In that case, probably not.

I thought that grounding pin3 (remotely) on a standard FBH was all you needed to do. I just presumed that pin4 on the 6 pin plug would send the signal to the ATC without any additional extras.

Ok, next obvious question: I have the FBH, I have the home made remote, what other bit(s) do I need???

Honestly, one day I'll have a warm car. It'll probably be summer before I do, but I'll get there.....

Nick

Edit: Found this thread. Any comments. Whould a connie have any of this done as standard?

Last edited by NikTheGeek; 1st February 2009 at 09:59..
Old 1st February 2009, 10:34   #28
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Grounding pin 3 is for the remote operation of the heater, the factory fit parking heater uses a couple of relays as well to switch on the ATC but I have seen a circuit where it is done with a couple of diodes (I have had a look but can't find it now, sorry).
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 12:08   #29
NikTheGeek
Gets stuck in

2002 Range Rover P38

No parking heater! Just checked and no wire on pin 4.

I can't believe I hadn't spotted that as now I've wasted a day and £30 on a remote. But hey, lesson learned and at least the engine will be up to temperature in the morning which will defrost the car more quickly once I'm in it...

I suppose I could start thinking about wiring it in to ATC if anyone has the info?

tnx

Nick
Old 1st February 2009, 12:17   #30
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
No parking heater! Just checked and no wire on pin 4.

You would only find the wire if the parking heater was already fitted....theres a number of threads on the subject if you have a quick search
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote