Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2016, 10:29   #21
invoke-delight

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankson View Post
I'm 54 and I enjoy the look on people's faces when I drive my 75 into Waitrose car park, window wound down and ASAP Rocky or Lil Wayne playing upon the wireless set.
Heh... I fulfilled a lifelong dream in my 75 a couple of weeks ago... I've always wanted to drive around in a very refined looking car with the windows down and a really good classical piece blaring through the sound system, and I wanted to do it while I was still young enough for it to be really obviously funny (bear in mind that when I'm working as a supply teacher I often get asked "are you staff or student?" when I'm running for my photocopying).

So a couple of weeks ago, I was driving to Tesco for a prescription, browsing radio stations and just at the right moment, Mars from The Planets Suite by Holst came onto Radio 3. So up went the sound, down went the windows, and lots of middle aged women stared at me in horror, surprise or shock, I'm not quite sure which, I was too busy enjoying the moment. I just wish I'd had some fancy mustard in the glovebox. The best part was pausing at the traffic lights next to a very crowded bus stop. I had to draw on all my self-control to keep a straight face.
invoke-delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 10:33   #22
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
So, I still occasionally get mocked for driving a Grandad car.
Fubar
It would not bother me one bit, and I'll wager than any one of those mocking would remark on how good it was if riding in it.

I have grandchildren who have asked if it were a Rolls Royce, and I've said, "NO, it's better than that!"
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 10:40   #23
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR190 View Post
Does the 160 map really make a difference? My old 75 was a 135 xpower tuned lump
Yes it certainly does, especially in the higher gear range so much more torque.

Puts a smile on your face.
Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 11:04   #24
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Before I bought the Connie I was looking at the advert with my twelve year old grandson. He said that I should buy the car, and when I asked if he liked it he replied, "Yes, it's an old man's car." The very young can be brutally frank without meaning any offence.

He is very tall for his age and gets to sit in the front when his gran isn't there. He loves the plush interior and often remarks on the plastic cars that his mother and father drive.

Last week he asked how long I was going to continue driving. When I asked why, he replied that if I did give up driving, would I keep the car and he would buy it when he was old enough to get a license. It may be a "granddad" car, but it obviously still has appeal to the very young with a discerning eye.

On the other hand, a chap I speak to who is an ex biker like myself and loves quality cars, asked why I had sold the Daimler and bought "that", pointing at the Connie. I showed him around the car pointing out all the finer points of the car, and all the "toys". He said that he didn't realise they were so well made, and went off with a completely different attitude towards Rovers.

It just goes to show that people can hold quite strong opinions about cars without knowing the first thing about them.

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 11:12   #25
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

I'm only 30 + 14, owned since I was in my 20's + 17.

Can't beat it.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 12:23   #26
invoke-delight

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
On the other hand, a chap I speak to who is an ex biker like myself and loves quality cars, asked why I had sold the Daimler and bought "that", pointing at the Connie. I showed him around the car pointing out all the finer points of the car, and all the "toys". He said that he didn't realise they were so well made, and went off with a completely different attitude towards Rovers.

It just goes to show that people can hold quite strong opinions about cars without knowing the first thing about them.

Fifer
Maybe it's a biker thing, being able to see through all the image stuff to the heart of a great vehicle, but clearly if it is, the other guy hasn't developed it yet my parents always had bikes, and I remember as a kid the only car I was adamant I never wanted to own or drive (or preferably sit in) was those awful Austin / Rover Metros (and all the cars that were shaped like that) with the triangular back end like the old Renault Clio and Pegueot 206s... if that's supposed to be a young person's car, I'd rather be called a grandparent.

My granddad drove an Austin Allegro, now that was a grandad car.

Last edited by invoke-delight; 10th March 2016 at 12:24.. Reason: Austin made Metros too :O
invoke-delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 12:26   #27
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

I bought my first 75 Just after my 20th birthday, and have remained a consistent owner until the start of this year. I never minded the image, having bought my first car, a 1967 Rover 2000, at 18. I just bought mine because I liked it. Similarly, my girlfriend had a 75 a couple of years ago too. It's not unusual to be a younger owner really.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 12:34   #28
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by invoke-delight View Post
Maybe it's a biker thing, being able to see through all the image stuff to the heart of a great vehicle, but clearly if it is, the other guy hasn't developed it yet my parents always had bikes, and I remember as a kid the only car I was adamant I never wanted to own or drive (or preferably sit in) was those awful Austin / Rover Metros (and all the cars that were shaped like that) with the triangular back end like the old Renault Clio and Pegueot 206s... if that's supposed to be a young person's car, I'd rather be called a grandparent.

My granddad drove an Austin Allegro, now that was a grandad car.
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 12:58   #29
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default Is the 75 really a Grandad car?

The answer is of course it isn't a Grandad car, but is probably perceived as one, by many.

I have just returned from a trip down from Oxford and the amount of BMW 1 series (Rover 35 ) and BMW Minis on the road is unbelievable.
Both had a input from Rover, but I bet many of the people wouldn't have them if they were wearing Rover badges.

People don't buy cars based on how good they are, but rather by what the Jones's have next door, or what they are told to buy on the telly.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:19   #30
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilzin View Post
Don't give a monkey's chuff what is said about me n my 75 cos I always remember the old saying....

The only thing worse than being talked about is...NOT being talked about
"I wish l'd said that, Oscar........ "

Everyone l know is aware that l'm a Rover man & have been since my teen's, so no-one is surprised.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote