Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2010, 23:07   #1
ned78
Regular poster

Rover 75 Cdt Tourer & JCW MINI Cooper S

Default 02 CDT Auto giving 29 mpg

As the subject says, my lovely 02 CDT Auto Tourer is giving me a paltry 29mpg on a good week. Now I do carry a lot of weight, I'd estimate somewhere around 100 kilos in the car permenantly due to my SMART repair business being run out of it. But should it be that poor?

I had the oil changed recently, the air filter, it's remapped by a reputable company to 150Bhp, I cleaned the MAF (Well, it wasn't dirty to begin with). So I'm not sure what the story is. Should I have better economy, or is there any other parts I can investigate/swap?
ned78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 06:52   #2
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned78 View Post
CDT Auto Tourer is giving me a paltry 29mpg on a good week. Should I have better economy, or is there any other parts I can investigate/swap?
Hi

Suggest you start by checking the engine temperature using the onboard diagnostics. Check out this thread thats currently running.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=66358

Not relevant to high fuel consumption, but don't forget to check your plenum drains, and your PCV. There's lots of info on all these subjects but if searching for something specific Google is better than the search button at the top of the page.

Happy motoring.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 17:22   #3
ned78
Regular poster

Finally got around to doing some checking today, and got to plug my 75 into a Launch. Coolant temp was 91.76, inlet temp 60.66, airflow 476.00 mg/stroke, (At tickover) airflow sensor voltage 2.1v, so as far as I can tell, they all seem okay.

I did find a glow plug relay fault stored into the car, which indicates a glow plug may be shot. Do the glow plugs run constantly on the 75? I know on modern diesels they tend to, which improves the efficiency of the burn cycle. I'm thinking if I have one or more which are MIA, it may be causing poor efficiency.
Old 9th September 2010, 17:31   #4
djw40
Gets stuck in

Ford Kuga

Is it mainly town driving?

If so, given the load, probably about right.....
Old 9th September 2010, 17:34   #5
ned78
Regular poster

It'd be a combined cycle, never really stick in stop start city traffic TBH. I've driven plenty of 320d's in my former job and the mpg was superb, I just find the <30mpg hard to swallow, especially when I hear of 75's here returning nearly 50! My JCW Cooper S can do 30mpg, and that's with uprated injectors, uprated supercharger, and oodles of power. Surely a nice diesel lump should be more frugal?
Old 9th September 2010, 17:56   #6
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
especially when I hear of 75's here returning nearly 50!
I think there's some optimistic thinking amongst some owners!! the auto is heavy on fuel in urban areas as it seems to hold too low a gear a lot, well at least lower than i would choose in a manual, having said that we get 35 out of ours on mixed runs with a dodgy stat (82 C max) and 40 on a run so something is amiss as when I can be bothered to do the stat I'm expecting a nice jump in economy. I think that in general CDTi auto gives 5 to 7 mpg less than manual
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 17:57   #7
ned78
Regular poster

Quote:
I did find a glow plug relay fault stored into the car, which indicates a glow plug may be shot. Do the glow plugs run constantly on the 75?
Thanks for the replies guys. Could someone comment on the above if they've experience/knowledge of the M47 engine?
Old 9th September 2010, 17:58   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The kind of terrain you drive in makes a big difference..

As does the way you drive.. "Loads of wellie" costs a lot!

If you don't get into top gear (5th) much then your MPG wont be up to much either..

Long, med speed Mway journeys give the best MPG returns..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 19:34   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
As the subject says, my lovely 02 CDT Auto Tourer is giving me a paltry 29mpg on a good week. Now I do carry a lot of weight, I'd estimate somewhere around 100 kilos in the car permenantly due to my SMART repair business being run out of it. But should it be that poor?

I had the oil changed recently, the air filter, it's remapped by a reputable company to 150Bhp, I cleaned the MAF (Well, it wasn't dirty to begin with). So I'm not sure what the story is. Should I have better economy, or is there any other parts I can investigate/swap?
29mpg is quite a lot worse than I got whilst towing a 1250Kg caravan, before I started my efforts to sort the engine out - a manual GB BTW. It was beating 40mpg solo since sorting out the EGR + MAF + PCV it started doing better than 45mpg, which I hope to better since having a new stat fitted.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 07:51   #10
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer

Just under 33mpg for mixed driving for me. I think its the auto which knocks the efficiency of the engine.
Matt
Matt1960 is offline   Reply With Quote