Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2020, 22:29   #171
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent.

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts

I've been over here in France for the last 20 years and here also now and then before that for another 10.

I've found that the French vastly over-value things. Especially cars.

However, after having said that the guy you are dealing with will never get anywhere near what he's asking for his car.

Make him a silly offer and if he says no then just walk away from it after giving him your phone number.

If that car went to a French garage with all those faults that French guy would have to take out a mortgage to pay for it with what French garages charge.----

I've done that silly offer thing with two houses I've purchased over here and in both cases got many thousands of pounds off the asking price.--

£11,000 in one case and £40,000 in the other.
Old 14th June 2020, 11:28   #172
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
Congrats!

A very nice place to live.
My grandparents used to live 40 years in Chatelaillon just a few miles North, nor so far from Saint-Jean d'Angély.
At last we have exchanged contracts!! As you can imagine the current situation caused a few issues but we have made it in the end. One advantage for us was that we were able to negotiate the purchase of a second “”house” that was the original Coach House - you can see the old large entrances on either side of the main door where the horse drawn carriages would be put away.

Fantastic that we have managed to get that as well.

A Renault Traffic has been bought and we are servicing/checking it this week, loading it up and my son and DiL travel over to pick up keys on Friday.

I’m tempted but quarantine when you come back does not suit SWMBO and me so just have to wait a bit.

So hopefully we will be there in the Autumn.
Old 14th June 2020, 17:34   #173
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent.

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
At last we have exchanged contracts!! As you can imagine the current situation caused a few issues but we have made it in the end. One advantage for us was that we were able to negotiate the purchase of a second “”house” that was the original Coach House - you can see the old large entrances on either side of the main door where the horse drawn carriages would be put away.

A Renault Traffic has been bought and we are servicing/checking it this week, loading it up and my son and DiL travel over to pick up keys on Friday.

I’m tempted but quarantine when you come back does not suit SWMBO and me so just have to wait a bit.

It sounds very interesting.

Any possibility of some pics ??
Old 14th June 2020, 17:39   #174
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent.

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
It's a £200 car in the UK - but things are rather different over here. He's asking 1k for it, but is only willing to negotiate in front of the car presumably because he doesn't want to upset its feelings .

As much as I'd love another ZTT, if the price can't be negotiated far below his asking price I will
Any luck with your potential car purchase ??---
Old 14th June 2020, 18:15   #175
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 remapped - Rover 214i cab mk2 1994

Thumbs up

Quote:

I'm delighted for you and that happy end!
Anyway I know which brand of cars I would garage in your 'original Coach House' don't you?!
I wish you that that ghastly quarantine will not last as long as the entire summer season.
I've just been part of a rally in the Montagne Noire (Black Mountain) in the South of the Tarn departement but... with the 214 cabby far much at ease in those twisty & winding country roads than the stately V6.
BTW We won two prizes: one for the most distant equipage (no merit TBH) and another because we got the highest score in the quiz we were given with the road book... Don't ask me how we achieved that...
There were many jokes about that naughty 'social distancing': none of us has had any knowledge of somebody caught by the disease here. Only 5 casualties in my departement (Tarn & Garonne) and nearly no patient remaining in the hospitals. It's the end at least at the moment.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 14th June 2020 at 18:25..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorchester2 For This Useful Post:
Old 16th June 2020, 21:05   #176
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent.

R75 Saloon.

Dorchester2.

I read yesterday that the number of covid casualties in my department ( 79 ) was zero.----
Old 25th June 2020, 14:22   #177
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
I'm delighted for you and that happy end!
Anyway I know which brand of cars I would garage in your 'original Coach House' don't you?!
I wish you that that ghastly quarantine will not last as long as the entire summer season.
I've just been part of a rally in the Montagne Noire (Black Mountain) in the South of the Tarn departement but... with the 214 cabby far much at ease in those twisty & winding country roads than the stately V6.
BTW We won two prizes: one for the most distant equipage (no merit TBH) and another because we got the highest score in the quiz we were given with the road book... Don't ask me how we achieved that...
There were many jokes about that naughty 'social distancing': none of us has had any knowledge of somebody caught by the disease here. Only 5 casualties in my departement (Tarn & Garonne) and nearly no patient remaining in the hospitals. It's the end at least at the moment.
Hi - many thanks for the good wishes!

My son and DiL picked up the keys at the weekend and are enjoying a break sorting out a plan of action.

One interesting thing is behind some old wallpaper they found two pencil drawings of French and a German Soldiers

The German one is more of a cartoon and could possibly be holding a pistol.

I’ve sent pics to Phil and asked him to post them on here.

Any thoughts please let me know.
Old 25th June 2020, 14:56   #178
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Thanked 6,012 Times in 3,541 Posts

Quote:
Hi - many thanks for the good wishes!

My son and DiL picked up the keys at the weekend and are enjoying a break sorting out a plan of action.

One interesting thing is behind some old wallpaper they found two pencil drawings of French and a German Soldiers

The German one is more of a cartoon and could possibly be holding a pistol.

I’ve sent pics to Phil and asked him to post them on here.

Any thoughts please let me know.
Thanks Clive, I posted them up on Flickr into your album for the dogs, instead of making a new album. I hope that is ok with you.

Here they are, not altered or enhanced by myself. I have called them drawing 1 and drawing 2 to identify the files. If you would like me to darken the cartoon lines, do say

drawing 1

by Philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

drawing 2

Old 25th June 2020, 15:02   #179
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Clive, I posted them up on Flickr into your album for the dogs, instead of making a new album. I hope that is ok with you.

Here they are, not altered or enhanced by myself. I have called them drawing 1 and drawing 2 to identify the files. If you would like me to darken the cartoon lines, do say

drawing 1

drawing 2

Thanks Phil - very much appreciated.

We would love to find out more about the artist and research when and why they were drawn on the wall.

So looking forward to getting out there and getting started!!
Old 25th June 2020, 15:43   #180
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Thanked 6,012 Times in 3,541 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Phil - very much appreciated.

We would love to find out more about the artist and research when and why they were drawn on the wall.

So looking forward to getting out there and getting started!!
No problem, Clive. I am happy to help. One avenue you could try is to log into google and do an image search on each drawing by doing a copy and paste of each drawing in the search bar. I could do it, but I suspect you will have more fun yourself.

A drawing I inherited was in colour and it is called "The Awakening of Galitea" a pre-Raphaelite and a nude. The artist was a Frenchman who changed his name as it meant 'pig fat'.

In the year 2000, after I posted it up on the internet doing research, I received a request from a Texan collector in the U.S. who wanted to buy it, but I refused. I inherited it from my Grandmother who had kept it hidden out of sight in the loft. The nudity she said was something one should never see. I never sold it.

Hopefully you will be able to find the artist and the story behind the drawings.