Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th January 2017, 23:16   #6311
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Didn't get the tyres off the old wheels due to a snow shower or two making me think it was finally time for a winterweight tee shirt

Brian
I thought you northern englishers were a hardy bunch? we are waiting for the weather to cool down enough to put on a t-shirt when we are working on our cars. If it doesnt soon, I am going to have to use this one as a dipstick wipe. Waste not want not

http://newsthump.com/2009/02/22/geordie-man-buys-coat/

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 12th January 2017 at 23:51..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 10:08   #6312
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithst24 View Post
Got a nice set of Starspokes for my Tourer.....well pleased...collect on Saturday
Wheels now collected, will fit soon and post some pics up
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 16:58   #6313
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

I 'think' the old intercooler orings were no longer working aswell as they could.

The top one had swelled so much it had been pushed out the housing and the bottom one had actually split when I fished it out.

This is for comparison to the new viton rings from DMGRS.

Really quick easy job (15 mins bumper on) and I now have a fully functional turbo and no smoke out of the exhaust
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 19:05   #6314
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Nothing with my car today

Received a plea of help from Mats, a local member to say he was halfway through fitting his nearside replacement lower arm a colleague of his had obtained, and the rear bush was defunct.

No problem I said, I have a pair of decent quality bushes in stock............so could I find them?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................eventually laid my hand on the two new bushes after disgorging the contents of my garage

So off I trot up to Morpeth where he was working only to find the bush didn't fit on the new arm.........................cue a spell of dressing up the hexagon using a file which had previously had it's teeth soaking in Sterident

Now with the bush in place on the arm, came the chore of refitting the two bushes, bear in mind if I thought for one minute I'd be fitting anything instead of simply dropping off a couple of parts, I would have

A) not been wearing my good clothes
B) taken my tools with me.

Anyway, I got the easy rear bolt in first, nipped it down using the shortest 18mm combination spanner I've ever laid eyes on, and after a bit of tweaking, wound the front bolt in with fingers only to the almost home position.

With a 14mm combination spanner looped through the jaws of the ultra short 18mm spanner, I delivered the final nip.

New nut on the large balljoint, then entered the outer balljoint into the hub.

Pinch bolt secured, and run away home to face the wrath of Mrs MB, after saying I'd only be half an hour, three hours down the line.

That'll teach me to answer the phone when I have a bad back

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 19:16   #6315
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Nothing with my car today

Received a plea of help from Mats, a local member to say he was halfway through fitting his nearside replacement lower arm a colleague of his had obtained, and the rear bush was defunct.

No problem I said, I have a pair of decent quality bushes in stock............so could I find them?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................eventually laid my hand on the two new bushes after disgorging the contents of my garage

So off I trot up to Morpeth where he was working only to find the bush didn't fit on the new arm.........................cue a spell of dressing up the hexagon using a file which had previously had it's teeth soaking in Sterident

Now with the bush in place on the arm, came the chore of refitting the two bushes, bear in mind if I thought for one minute I'd be fitting anything instead of simply dropping off a couple of parts, I would have

A) not been wearing my good clothes
B) taken my tools with me.

Anyway, I got the easy rear bolt in first, nipped it down using the shortest 18mm combination spanner I've ever laid eyes on, and after a bit of tweaking, wound the front bolt in with fingers only to the almost home position.

With a 14mm combination spanner looped through the jaws of the ultra short 18mm spanner, I delivered the final nip.

New nut on the large balljoint, then entered the outer balljoint into the hub.

Pinch bolt secured, and run away home to face the wrath of Mrs MB, after saying I'd only be half an hour, three hours down the line.

That'll teach me to answer the phone when I have a bad back

Brian
But it sounds like you did the "right" thing.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 19:22   #6316
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Replaced the OSF spring on the new acquisition. Pretty obvious previous work has been carried out by cowboys.

Lower hub bolt rounded off, inner wheel arch liner had most of the fittings behind it, top strut washer was upside down and the strut top bearing lip seal not correctly fitted.

Gave the hub bolt a good soaking in Plus Gas, and after 10 minutes filing to take the bolt head down to a very tight 12mm, and with the impact socket hammered on, the rattle gun shifted it.

There was a fair bit of paperwork came with this car, and the previous owner paid good money for repairs, some of which have been carried out to an unacceptably low standard.

To be honest it's sad to see that standard of workmanship, but with a bit of fettling everything will be as it should.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 14th January 2017 at 20:25..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 19:26   #6317
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Replaced the OSF spring on the new acquisition. Pretty obvious previous work has been carried out by cowboys.

Lower hub bolt rounded off, inner wheel arch liner had most of the fittings behind it, top strut washer was upside down, strut top bearing lip seal not correctly fitted.

Gave the hub bolt a good soaking in Plus Gas, and after 10 minutes filing to take the bolt head down to a very tight 12mm, and with the impact socket hammered, on the rattle gun shifted it.

There was a fair bit of paperwork came with this car, and the previous owner paid good money for repairs, some of which have been carried out to an unacceptably low standard.

To be honest it's sad to see that standard of workmanship, but with a bit of fettling everything will be as it should be.

There is always a good reason to do the job yourself, if you can Mike
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 20:24   #6318
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep too true Brian - prefer working on the drive in the summer though.

Oh and the spring isolator rubber sleeve was missing, but luckily I had one in the garage.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 14th January 2017 at 20:47..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 20:52   #6319
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

77 years old, and been driving and repairing my own cars always apart from 3 inconvenient times. Once when I had been very ill ( new prop shaft bearings on a Daimler V8 250 Saloon, and front wheel bearing on way to get vehicle tax in 1966 after birth of my youngest , 20 miles from home. Got a garage friend who I have known for over 35 years, to change the timing belts on my 220sd. Everything else has been repaired, maintained by yours truly, and always will be until I can not climb under/ over and around my 75. As this will probably be my last car, I hope my health stays as good as it is now. ( gets down on knees ).
Old 15th January 2017, 08:19   #6320
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Lol

Anyhoo, busy day today, fitted Crowns to Mrs MB's Classicasseur, D

I never thought I would see the day 😎😀😎😀