Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2015, 12:21   #1
grteam
Avid contributor

75 Mk II CDTi Saloon ''Charlie Bravo Tango''

Default VDO CD 413 downgrade to older Rover units

Hello all ICE connoisseurs. I have a March 2005 MKII new to me, must be mentioned I come from a 2002 Connie SE with Highline Satnav TV setup, proper stuff. To me it worked fine, never fancied so much the state of the art ICE units are trending now, I love those cars for what they were intended to be. Just love them, sir.
So now I ended up with a resonably nice and low mileage MKII CDTi that brings happy times to me and my 100% 75 fan family. All of a sudden I am no longer able to stick in my old fashioned cassette adapter, as the OEM HU is an utterly misplaced VDO 413 CD player unit. Works fine, Parrot included, but I can't hook my most advanced electronic device, a Samsung feature phone, and listen to my miriads of selected relaxing tunes. I have an offer to swap it with a Harmony, which would be fine, yet I might need adapters from ISO to Quadlock or what is it called, that I understand the Harmony and Symphony have. Any input would be more than welcome for following questions:
-What type of connectors do Harmony and Symphony have? I have here ISO connectors, and steering controls work, will they work without any mod with above HUs? (able to understand re-wiring, so I am not put off).
- In the unlikely event I keep the OEM VDO, has anybody experience with the 3.5 mm jack adapters at this type of old CD player? does it actually have a CD changer port (not being able to find out from different sources, but I think not, so I do not see how will it see as ''CD changer" the device at the other end).
If someone will ask why down grade, please consider beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like better the old fashioned colour matching (with airco controls) buttons. Sorry for long post. Thanks in advance

Edit: what way would you go in order to have 3.5 mm jack conectivity? Not refusing other aproaches actually, but not willing to spend much as other points need attention. Cheers

Last edited by grteam; 17th April 2015 at 18:34..
grteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 14:04   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The VDO and Symphony both have ISO connectors (the Harmony has BMW). If you fit a Symphony, you will need to remove (and insulate) the cable from pin 1 of the grey ISO connector, and for the steering wheel controls, move the Blue/Purple and Blue/Orange cables from the green mini ISO connector to pins 1 & 2 of the grey ISO connector.

Last edited by raykay; 17th April 2015 at 14:18..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 17:42   #3
grteam
Avid contributor

Anyone tried the Harmony with the OEM wiring for the VDO 413, provided is fitted with the standard adapter? would there be reason of modifing some of the wiring? Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 18:04   #4
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

The audio loom is connected to the main car loom at the base of the centre console behind the ashtray unit. Early cars had a 17 pin BMW connector (the same as the Harmony connector) later cars have ISO connectors.

If yours has the BMW connector, the Harmony lead will plug in with a BMW extension lead, if it is ISO, you will need an ISO to BMW adapter lead (rather than the usual BMW to ISO).

Last edited by raykay; 17th April 2015 at 18:06..
Old 17th April 2015, 18:11   #5
grteam
Avid contributor

Perfect, thanks for info, will look into it
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:17   #6
grteam
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
The VDO and Symphony both have ISO connectors (the Harmony has BMW). If you fit a Symphony, you will need to remove (and insulate) the cable from pin 1 of the grey ISO connector, and for the steering wheel controls, move the Blue/Purple and Blue/Orange cables from the green mini ISO connector to pins 1 & 2 of the grey ISO connector.
Raykay, could you maybe explain a little the reason for above 2 mods? I read around here pin 1 on the grey ISO connector is the mute for a hands free, which I already have installed, and works. Also the steering controls work fine withe the VDO 413x. Some other table explains as GALA (speed impulse? for volume while increasing speed?) So should I understand that ISO connectors are not wired according to a standard? thanks and sorry if sounds silly
Edit: I purchased a Symphony, still to be delivered.
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:47   #7
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by grteam View Post
Raykay, could you maybe explain a little the reason for above 2 mods? I read around here pin 1 on the grey ISO connector is the mute for a hands free, which I already have installed, and works. Also the steering controls work fine withe the VDO 413x. Some other table explains as GALA (speed impulse? for volume while increasing speed?) So should I understand that ISO connectors are not wired according to a standard? thanks and sorry if sounds silly
Edit: I purchased a Symphony, still to be delivered.
The VDO 413X has the steering wheel control wires in the green mini iso plug.

The Symphony radio has the steering wheel control wires in the Grey iso plug..

The Gal speed dependent control only seems to work with factory fitted Symphony and Hi line sat nav units. You need extra connections to the rear window aerial and the larger aerial amp as fitted to the earlier 75's.

With the Symphony pin 1 on the grey iso plug has to be disconnected or the radio will mute when the engine is started.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:51   #8
grteam
Avid contributor

This makes sense now; will look into it, hopefully I will get to the bottom of it (with perfect advice, as usual). Note to self: ISO plug is just a plug; not a standard wiring scheme.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:06   #9
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

There is an ISO standard of sorts, the layout/shape of the connectors and designation of the 8 speaker cable connections, and pins 4-8 of the power cable connections are to that standard (although some have the ignition and live feed reversed).

It's pins 1,2 & 3 of the power connector that have no ISO connection designation and can cause confusion, they are left for the manufacturer to decide their use.
Old 1st May 2015, 10:45   #10
grteam
Avid contributor

Now the Symphony is sorted out according to above instructions, the handsfree kit works fine also. Small remark, pins 2 and 3 of the grey connector drive the steering wheel control, not 1 and 2 (typing mistake above, probably). I have just ordered a Connects2 thingy to get MP3's in the speakers. Thanks again for your kind help.
Cheers