Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2016, 11:25   #1
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Default Headlight ball and sockets

Hi All,

I am seriously starting to lose my rag today...all of the ball and sockets inside my headlights have became detached and I can't for the life of me get them reattached no matter what I try. Is there a way of doing this without having to take the lens off (If I have to do that then I kid you not this car is going to scrap cos no matter how much I spend my time on it there's always something to do and it's always a fiddle on with something so simple...the way I'm feeling today I'm glad Rover went bust because they couldn't design anything simple).

I have tried using a screwdriver for leverage, I have squeezed my fingers in there to no avail....is there a way I'm missing? All it is is a simple ball and socket.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 12:08   #2
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

I've managed to get the outer ball and socket connected but the central one is impossible...any tips for that one?

I'm still on the drivers headlight and still have the passenger side to do lol

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 20th October 2016, 12:29   #3
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
I've managed to get the outer ball and socket connected but the central one is impossible...any tips for that one?

I'm still on the drivers headlight and still have the passenger side to do lol
How did these mechanisms become disconnected in the first case.?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 12:34   #4
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
How did these mechanisms become disconnected in the first case.?
I have no idea mate, all I can think was in transport as I had them sent to Klarzy for modification so I assume when they were sent back to post company must have done it. That was Months ago but it's just recently I've actually tried using my headlights with it getting dark early so have never noticed.

Lee.

Old 20th October 2016, 12:42   #5
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Hooray I've managed to get the central one back in as well as the outer one...eventually got the ball and socket lined up and then just kept winding up the ball so it got tighter and tighter against the socket until it popped in...

Lee.

Old 20th October 2016, 12:54   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

In that case, cancel my pm
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:43   #7
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Well I've finally managed to get all four ball and sockets reattached, headlights are back in and bumper on, that was a job and a half to do and my patience was seriously tested, I'm happy again at the moment but the next fiddly none mechanical thing that I have to put right and I reckon I will throw the towel in. I will finish my interior project off but I won't be spending quick money to fix the exterior up anymore....once it rots/fails or falls apart whatever then I'm moving on. These cars are great as long as everything is looking and working 100% but as soon as anything needs doing then any love or enjoyment is seriously diminished.

Off to Halfords now for them to get my headlights realigned on their machine.

EDIT: Scratch that, Halfords can't fit me in until Saturday afternoon so I guess no driving after 6pm for me lol

As a side note, if anyone ever needs to reattach the inner ball and socket the method that eventually worked for me was to get them aligned up and keep a bit of pressure on between them wind the ball in so it gets tighter and tighter on the socket and it will eventually pop in, be careful though and do it slowly so as not to pop anything else off inside.

Lee.

Last edited by KRISTLEE; 20th October 2016 at 14:54..
Old 20th October 2016, 14:51   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Dont lose heart mate, all cars are a pig when things go pear shaped, ours are no better or worse than the rest.
Old 20th October 2016, 15:01   #9
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Dont lose heart mate, all cars are a pig when things go pear shaped, ours are no better or worse than the rest.
True mate, I just get frustrated at times when things don't go smoothly like expected.... it doesn't help that I don't have a drive or garage so have to do any work on a busy street unless I drive somewhere quiet (didn't want to risk doing that today just incase my lights were goosed and it got dark lol )...it'll all be forgotten later for sure, I just enjoy venting my frustration on here to cheer you lot up

Lee.

Old 20th October 2016, 15:54   #10
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Lee,

I think you will find the headlamp units were detail designed by HELLA to MGR outline requirement!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote