Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2015, 19:56   #1
Alan Cannell

DA53PXH

Default cdti remap

I have a 2003 MG ZT CDTi 130 bhp saloon with 78k on the clock. I bought it last year with 64k from an elderly gent who was the second owner. Most of it's life has been city driving.
I am only getting 41 mpg driving it like the vicar's grandpa!
I am considering a remap to 165 bhp - which I have been quoted £100 plus VAT.
I am told that this will boost fuel consumption by anything from 10 to 20 per cent.
Can somebody who has done this please advise me if the fuel figures are correct? Also if they have done their conversion a while ago, have they had any clutch or crankshaft issues?
Is the gearbox (which I believe to be a Peugeot box) strong enough to withstand the extra performance.
The maf sensor is good and the car had a comprehensive history with it. I have changed the air filter and the oil and filter twice since buying it.
The accelerator is pretty dead until half way down the travel. Is this an electrically controlled pedal - and thus calibratable?
Thanks for any help that you can give, Alan
Alan Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:02   #2
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

The 160 remap is a tried and tested performance modification. It increases bhp, torque and improves mpg. The gearbox can take it no problem.

When it comes to the 165bhp remap you have been quoted £100 I personally would be sceptical.

Does that include a T4 session to check the car doesn't have any problems that could cause issues down the line?

Get the 160 remap instead.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:05   #3
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Hi Alan, I've had the 160 upgrade and tbh haven't noticed much change in MPG but the car is a whole lot more fun so maybe that's why With regard to the throttle it is fly by wire and I have heard that at least one owner found that even with his foot on the floor it was not registering 100%, think it's only a bit of adjustment required.

Other things to look at are the PCV filter, EGR and intake hose to the EGR if it is slimy or covered in oil it needs replacing & silicon ones are available so see if it has become porous.

TBH you are in the perfect place and there is a meet in Lynn coming up, Plenty of guys should be there to help, so check the meets section and I may see you there

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:06   #4
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Accelerator is eloctronic i was getting about 43 mpg on the run and about 30 ish around the town not bad for a heavy right foot and autobox combo . Gearbox is strong enough to cope with 160 remap but get it done by one of our gurus
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:07   #5
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You aren't going to get 165HP from a remap only - or at least I've never seen anyone get anything above 155HP from any remap that wasn't the infamous "160 map"
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:10   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I got around 10 % beeter MPG with the remap, and a bosch MAF suitable for the car, and the PCV and intercooler O-rings, and decent 5w40 fully synth and air filter and fuel filter and oil filter....

like has been said things need to be right and balanced to get the best from a remap.

my saloon on a run will get 47ish
Mt estate, I did a 215 mile trip mostly motorway and got 42.7 average this week.
Old 4th March 2015, 20:12   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Driving like a vicar's grandpa around town, would give that sort of figure. However on a long run, would expect more of course. I am assuming it is a manual also. If it is an auto, 41 isnt bad.

One thing, when the economy goes down, is to check the coolant temp. Using the OBD (instructions here - option 7). If it is below 80 (88 is the optimum) then the thermostat is failing, or has already failed.

There are various replacement options available, and when I fitted the inline option, my temp rose from between 67-72 up to 82-88. My MPG rose by a further 20 per cent!!(using the unreliable IPK display)
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:13   #8
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
You aren't going to get 165HP from a remap only - or at least I've never seen anyone get anything above 155HP from any remap that wasn't the infamous "160 map"
I agree, many have quoted figures from a n other remaps, but nobody has backed it up with a dynamometer printout.

The only remap I have seen on these diesel cars worth its salt is the 160 remap offered by Brian, Russ and Phil. I have the proof too, even though I no longer have the car

Last edited by rich17865; 4th March 2015 at 20:16..
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:17   #9
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cannell View Post
I have a 2003 MG ZT CDTi 130 bhp saloon with 78k on the clock. I bought it last year with 64k from an elderly gent who was the second owner. Most of it's life has been city driving.
I am considering a remap to 165 bhp - which I have been quoted £100 plus VAT.
I am told that this will boost fuel consumption by anything from 10 to 20 per cent.
Can somebody who has done this please advise me if the fuel figures are correct? Also if they have done their conversion a while ago, have they had any clutch or crankshaft issues?
Is the gearbox (which I believe to be a Peugeot box) strong enough to withstand the extra performance.
The maf sensor is good and the car had a comprehensive history with it. I have changed the air filter and the oil and filter twice since buying it.
The accelerator is pretty dead until half way down the travel. Is this an electrically controlled pedal - and thus calibratable?
Thanks for any help that you can give, Alan
The 160 remap makes a differance, fuel economy on mine has improved by 3 mpg max, I currently average 42 mpg with a full stainless system & EGR bypass, there are checks you need to consider regarding PCV filter, intercooler
O rings & clean out the EGR valve. ask MarinaBrian or Phil T4 on here, they both do 160 remaps.
Re calibrating throttle pedal I am not sure, as for clutch, crank etc, they can handle the increase power & torque.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 20:19   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

160 re-map is the ONLY way to go,not only do you get a re-map you also get a health check on the car

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote