Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd December 2021, 18:39   #31
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

C Tec chargers are pretty much the go to charger for long term use....

This reminds me of an incident many many many years ago. A colleague was refitting a cylinder head on a Rover 800 after doing the then common sticking valves from cold modification. He turned the car over and the battery exploded. Everybody was shocked at how a battery could explode for no reason....... I spotted the main HT lead was near the battery, he’d cranked it over not wanting it to start but the ht lead was on top of the battery at the time

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2021, 19:58   #32
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
You are wrong about this, Ii too have a Lidl charger and it sparks when connecting/disconnecting to the battery WITHOUT being connected to the mains.

Not having a Liddle charger I can't confirm your findings.

I do however have an old crude 24v, 12v, charger / boost starter, when connected as in the method I stated, no spark, a couple of CTEK MSX 10's and an Optimate 4 for the motorbikes, again when connecting /disconnecting to a battery, no spark.

That the Liddle does create a spark points to the charger drawing some current from the battery, for whatever the reason.

Disregarding my 30 years + old charger, the two modern ones don't !

The instructions for battery charging for both of these is as I posted above.

1) Connect battery, connect the charger to the mains, charge.
2) Battery charged, disconnect the charger from the mains, disconnect from the battery.

If you check your charger instructions it will say the same.

There should also be safety notes in the instructions warnings about the gasses from batteries and the well known risk of them igniting violently from fire, fags, sparks, or similar source of ignition.

So why should the Liddle charger produce sparks at the battery posts, contrary to the safety warnings?

Only Liddle or the producer will know.

My post above was about the correct connection / disconnection process, issued by charger and battery makers alike to prevent the occurrence of sparks.

The Liddle charger, obviously doesn't appear to comply with their recommendations though.
Old 2nd December 2021, 20:33   #33
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
C Tec chargers are pretty much the go to charger for long term use....

This reminds me of an incident many many many years ago. A colleague was refitting a cylinder head on a Rover 800 after doing the then common sticking valves from cold modification. He turned the car over and the battery exploded. Everybody was shocked at how a battery could explode for no reason....... I spotted the main HT lead was near the battery, he’d cranked it over not wanting it to start but the ht lead was on top of the battery at the time

Two quick stories, 1) As teenager I couldn't afford new batteries for my motorbikes, so used to cadge any that were being changed from friends and using an old charger were on a ' conveyer belt ' taking their turn to be charged.

Roll on one Sunday morning, a couple of pals popped by to see if I was up for a ride out, answer yes, I nipped down into the large cellar at my mums to take the battery which was on charge, cell caps off, for my bike, I reached sideways to disconnect the battery with my left hand whilst looking to my right and reaching for something with my right hand, yes the bang is loud, you can guess the rest, I got rid of the stinging with a quick shower, unprepared for the stinging I got from mums tongue a few days later when the clothes I wore when it went bang came out of the wash like Buck House lace curtains along with some other washing.

2) Years ago Datsun, now Nissan, fitted an Alfa Romeo engine to I think it was the Datsun Cherry Europe which had an Alfa engine.

On testing for coolant, head gasket problems with the plastic expansion bottle cap off, it suddenly went bang, yes the king lead was on the inner wing to prevent the engine starting whilst cranking and to earth the HT, that old antifreeze was potent.

The bottle was in dozens of pieces, Datsun dealers didn't carry stock, 14 day order turnaround but a quick phone to Mangoletsi in Knutsford saved the day, do you want a new one or a second hand one, they always had loads of used Alfa spares due to the rust boxes dropping to bits log before the mechanical bits were worn out.
Old 2nd December 2021, 23:24   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
It's amazing what they get prisoners to do these days.

What were you in for?

None of us knew what we were in for when we first started work there.--It turned out to be halves of scissors thrown out of the cell windows above where we were working below plus old socks filled with sh--.

Plus anything else they could lay their hands on.

We had to have a scaffold tunnel erected where we were working with a roof on it to avoid all the missiles that rained down on us.

No gratitude at all came our way and all we were doing was putting hot and cold running water into each cell plus modern toilets and TV points.
Also new heating systems and hot pipes.

Previously it was a bucket in each cell to sh-- and pi-- in to be slopped out every morning.

There were two holes in each cell wall. On up high and the other at floor level. If they were lucky warm air came out of the lower hole then vanished back into the upper hole.

There was on large wood burner in the very bottom of the prison. This was normally working all the time and giving off hot air.

The walls of what was called the undercroft had a row of holes down each side. A hole for every cell for the hot air to rise in.

A bit more detail in the next post if I lose this one.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:16   #35
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

From Post 34, above (if I'm quick)

Quote "A bit more detail in the next post if I lose this one"

I presume that you mean you've sometimes been timed / logged out, in the past. I certainly used to be.

I overcome this now by typing into Word, and then copy and paste that into the forum.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:32   #36
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
From Post 34, above (if I'm quick)

Quote "A bit more detail in the next post if I lose this one"

I presume that you mean you've sometimes been timed / logged out, in the past. I certainly used to be.

I overcome this now by typing into Word, and then copy and paste that into the forum.

Regards

Mike
I have on occasions entered the forum twice at the same time.--If I lose one post for whatever reason I still have it to copy and paste from my second forum entry.--
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:11   #37
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

A little bit more to post 34 above.

When looking at Dartmoor prison from the outside it seems to have very large chimneys coming out of the roofs.

They had another purpose.--When the wind blows across the openings it has an extraction effect.--Warm air from the heating in the undercroft is drawn up through each cell giving a modicum of heat to the prisoners.

The outside air temperature is normally well below freezing point in winter so if the fire in the undercroft goes out each cell becomes very cold indeed.

The up dates we installed overcame all of that and still they tried to injure us.--

No helping some folks I guess.---
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:19   #38
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Here's a picture of the place built around 1805 by French and American prisoners. Around the outside of the prison there are cemeteries for both.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dartmoor.jpg (133.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:03   #39
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

The up dates we installed overcame all of that and still they tried to injure us.--

No helping some folks I guess.---

Perhaps they didn't know that you would be fitting the large screen plasma tele's later?

I've just had a thought - with all the problems recruiting care home staff and the cost of heating care homes, Dartmoor could be the solution!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote