Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2020, 17:09   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default What is "Blue" worth?

No, this isn't another one of those, "how much can I charge?" threads, she won't be for sale, but as I sit here idly wondering lots of stuff because I'm on furlough, I did wonder have I got the car insured correctly?

Blue is a 2002 180 +. She has 67k on the clock, and good, but not complete service history as she stood 18 months after my brother passed away. She's had all 3 belt changes required for her age, and they are documented. She's had new drop links, new bottom mount, new air con condenser and regas, interior/seats is/are perfect. She has the correct tyre protectors fitted, a Jules plenum guard and slinky tube, stainless bumper bolts, stainless exhaust, two keys, black header tank, induction kit and catch tank, stainless oil cap, MG7 silver engine cover. Lacquer peel has been corrected, full major services with autobox and brake fluid included etc, under the bonnet is not pristine, but it is VERY good and has ben commented on by my last MOT guy, and the guy who did the paint. Underbody, again, not pristine, but extremely clean for age and has been Krown rustproofed. (It's still blue under there!!!) No rot to arms, sills etc. Paintwork is not pristine, but I would say very, very good. Fully working Xtrons unit with no issues, excellent MOT history, MGZ1316 if you want to look.

I'm sure you've all seen her either in the flesh or in pics I have posted, and I'm sure I've missed loads of stuff I have had done, but you get the general picture.

So, my brother paid about £700 I think...she was up for £1000 but I know he got her way less. My sister in law let her stand 18 months and wouldn't let me have her until the MOT was out, and basically she was desperate for cash. I paid £400 with no MOT, a bargain still, I think.

She needed work with standing, and as a 180 she is auto, so less desirable than a 190, so I checked Ebay and decent examples were going between £800 and £1000. I was once told go below £1000 and insurers charge more as they think its shed not a classic so I went with £1000 value.

What do you think? In my head I think she is now worth £1500 insurance wise, but I do still see examples on Facebook for £800 or sometimes less.

Opinions please? Just a little Saturday night lockdown entertainment, and I might just get the right insurance value to boot!

Cheers

Dawn

I can post pics, if you really haven't seen her lol!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 19:17   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Mileage age and condition are irrelevant to mainstream insurers Dawn, if I were insuring your car on a classic policy, I would be looking at an agreed value of no less than £2500.

A mainstream insurer you would be lucky to get £500 in the case of a total loss.

Look on the bright side though, it's unlikely you will need to claim at the moment

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 19:20   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Dawn. You can guess what I am going to say? It’s worth what someone will pay for it. For insurance having seen it, and the things you have had done to it in your ownership, the service history plus mot history, I would think it was worth over a grand. Exactly how much I have no idea. People when buying, like yourself, always want things for next to nothing. The silver one I am doing up, Rover 75 KV6 Conni SE, I would not let go when it is up and running for less than..............what I can get for it. These motors of ours, hopefully, will steadily rise in value as they have got a reasonable reputation if kept by enthusiasts. I will not be around when they are worth £20,000. When I had my Daimler V8 250 Saloon, I never gave a thought that now they would be worth over £20,000. I bought mine for £595, kept it for around3 years and sold it for the same price with a rebuilt engine in it that I did myself. It’s like how long is a piece of string.
You could get in touch with your insurance company and tell them that you want an agreed price on it .

Last edited by bl52krz; 25th April 2020 at 19:22.. Reason: Beaten by the master our Brian
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 19:35   #4
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Mileage age and condition are irrelevant to mainstream insurers Dawn, if I were insuring your car on a classic policy, I would be looking at an agreed value of no less than £2500.

A mainstream insurer you would be lucky to get £500 in the case of a total loss.

Look on the bright side though, it's unlikely you will need to claim at the moment

Brian

Hi Brian she is currently insured on classic with Peter Best. Am I correct that you're saying I need more insurance on her? EEP!
Old 25th April 2020, 19:38   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Scratch that comment about not as desirable as a 190, anyone can find a 190, try finding a decent 180 these days.
Old 25th April 2020, 21:23   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Scratch that comment about not as desirable as a 190, anyone can find a 190, try finding a decent 180 these days.
Ironically, the bodywork can generally be sorted if necessary on these cars, but to rectify a well used interior is a different story!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 22:04   #7
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Worth

Hi my better half has one of these.
I've got a filthy diesel and a 1.8 turbo.
Hers has every extra I have ever seen from SatNav to leather to SE Apex wheels. But because of the tax rises the government has imposed it's got to go. So I'm afraid these are not worth a lot now.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2020, 20:26   #8
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo337 View Post
Hers has every extra I have ever seen from SatNav to leather to SE Apex wheels. But because of the tax rises the government has imposed it's got to go. So I'm afraid these are not worth a lot now.
Name your price
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2020, 20:41   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Name your price
You know it makes sense Howard
Old 26th April 2020, 20:52   #10
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo337 View Post
I'm a bit confused by this? My ZT is the same tax bracket and price per month as my 2ltr Toyota. Its not great but its not that much more?

Mine won't be for sale. I just don't know what to tell Peter Best. As opinions vary wildly I guess leave as is for now! ☺