Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th March 2021, 16:21   #11
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
No mayo problem except what you'd normally expect under the filler cap, remember we have much lower temperatures here and as per norm the smaller crankcase breathers were blocked. Not any more

Can't see it being much of a problem by-passing the oil cooler, I did the belts on an early car last summer so had the oil cooler out and I haven't got a lift, just a high reach trolly jack.

You still seem to be relying on this one mechanic who perhaps is jumping to conclusions. Stocktake has advised by-passing the oil cooler, he's been on this forum since day one, t'would be silly not to listen to him, and perhaps unnecessarily expensive too. Will the mechanic refund the headgasket money if the car is no better?

Regards

ps The garage that mis-diagnosed my V6, (recommending new headgaskets etc) was the Rover dealership in my town.
I'm only relying on the mechanic to check out the fault, if he does say it's the head gasket I will be back on here for more advice!

As I've said all the posts I've read so far 're the oil cooler bypass have said its difficult, however as you've experience of it you can be sure I will be availing of your expert advice!!

Cheers
Paul
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 17:34   #12
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Can't see it being much of a problem by-passing the oil cooler, I did the belts on an early car last summer so had the oil cooler out and I haven't got a lift, just a high reach trolly jack.

As others have said , HGF on the v6 is unlikely . Perhaps your mechanic has only worked on 1.8 models ? Is he an old hand or a youngster (below 50 )
The sniffer test is a good guide but I'd also recommend a compression test . Garages don't like doing them on the v6 'cos the back 3 plugs are a pain to reach !

Last edited by chris75; 17th March 2021 at 17:46..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 19:19   #13
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

As others have said , HGF on the v6 is unlikely . Perhaps your mechanic has only worked on 1.8 models ? Is he an old hand or a youngster (below 50 )
The sniffer test is a good guide but I'd also recommend a compression test . Garages don't like doing them on the v6 'cos the back 3 plugs are a pain to reach !
Sounds like its not such a hard job this oil cooler bypass then...I might be spending even more time on here then!!!
Old 17th March 2021, 21:25   #14
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

Actually the garage is run by one old hand and a younger guy so take your pick!!
Old 18th March 2021, 07:57   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... the smaller crankcase breathers were blocked.
Vitesse makes a good point here Paul. Under the cam covers behind the wire mesh "flame trap" there's a tiny pinhole which leads to the breather tubes which feed into the throttle body. These become blocked with carbon, particularly if the manufacturer's long oil change schedule has been followed. It's possible that condensation could occur here in cold temperatures if you have such a blockage, which is very likely (mine did!).

My only concern about the oil cooler suggestion is that it would result in mayonnaise everywhere, and lots of it, and you don't have that.

Simon
Old 18th March 2021, 10:43   #16
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Vitesse makes a good point here Paul. Under the cam covers behind the wire mesh "flame trap" there's a tiny pinhole which leads to the breather tubes which feed into the throttle body. These become blocked with carbon, particularly if the manufacturer's long oil change schedule has been followed. It's possible that condensation could occur here in cold temperatures if you have such a blockage, which is very likely (mine did!).

My only concern about the oil cooler suggestion is that it would result in mayonnaise everywhere, and lots of it, and you don't have that.

Simon
Cheers Simon that another place for me to check if the mechanic comes back and confirms HGF, makes you wonder how many cars will have such blockages due to the changing driving habits this last year.
Old 18th March 2021, 15:20   #17
paulh260260
Still learning...

***Update Bad News***

I've just come off the phone to my mechanic and he tells me its definately the Head Gasket, there is a lot of smoke from the exhaust and the engine is making noises that suggest it could even have warped, based on his experience.

He has said its not worth repairing and should be scrapped.

This garage has been fixing and repairing Rovers for 15 years and before that were mechanics at a main Rover dealership so I'd be inclined to trust them especially when they could easily have said it was repairable

Haven't got a clue what to do now, I don't want to spend much more time, money and effort on if its not going to be worth it long term.

Any suggestions?

Paul
Old 18th March 2021, 15:44   #18
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default KV6 HGF...worth repairing??

Engine making noises due to a warped head???

I’d be trying a different garage, don’t base your judgement on the fact they have been Rover mechanics for years.

The local rover main dealer in Norwich charged a local member for cambelt replacements on a V6 and refitted the old main belt!!
Old 18th March 2021, 16:15   #19
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Agree with Trikey - definitely get a second opinion (or possibly more).

I spent the best part of 12 months trying to diagnose a knocking noise on my KV6 and had a number of differing opinions, ranging from main bearing failure to "they all do that, ignore it" and everything in between. All from experienced MG Rover mechanics. Even the best experienced mechanics can be mistaken.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2021, 16:45   #20
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Agree with Trikey - definitely get a second opinion (or possibly more).

I spent the best part of 12 months trying to diagnose a knocking noise on my KV6 and had a number of differing opinions, ranging from main bearing failure to "they all do that, ignore it" and everything in between. All from experienced MG Rover mechanics. Even the best experienced mechanics can be mistaken.

Cliff
Cheers Cliff

They also said it was blowing out loads of white smoke and coupled with the mayo/ chocolate sauce on the dipstick came to the conclusion that HGF was favourite with added issue of the noise reminding them of past warped engines. It would be false economy to repair the head gasket they said ( fair enough I suppose)

Any suggestion for a reputable garage near Manchester or the north west for a second opinion

Also having driven it home from the garage its still pulls well, seems fairly quiet to my untrained ears but does have a a sort of growl when accelerating and what I would describe as very mild piston slap/rattle when idling and when first started.

Not the sound I'd expect from a warped engine so, apart from my own ears, is there anything else I can do myself in the meantime.

Stocktake has suggested bypassing the oil cooler in case it that so, that my first job but is there anything else I should be doing ( DIY compression tester perhaps)

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by paulh260260; 18th March 2021 at 16:53.. Reason: extra info