Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2019, 00:30   #71
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Just reading all these lists of jobs to do/done has left me exhausted!
I have had my ZT190 for two months now and am doing an abbreviated version of your exhaustive list. And in those 2 months I have put 3000km on the ZT which has shown a few new issues that have been added to the list. Not surprising as the car sat for a couple of years before I got it.

So far...EBC pads/rotors all round, poly lower engine mount bushings, K&N air filter, carbon pollen filter, OEM front drop links, oil/filter change, thermostat change, plenum drain cleaning. On Tuesday it goes in for a full clutch change and in a couple of weeks I will be doing the belts and water pump followed by lower front suspension arms. As much as I hope that will be it for a while I know there is more to come.

Good luck with your epic list!
Old 31st August 2019, 05:21   #72
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Just reading all these lists of jobs to do/done has left me exhausted!
I have had my ZT190 for two months now and am doing an abbreviated version of your exhaustive list. And in those 2 months I have put 3000km on the ZT which has shown a few new issues that have been added to the list. Not surprising as the car sat for a couple of years before I got it.

So far...EBC pads/rotors all round, poly lower engine mount bushings, K&N air filter, carbon pollen filter, OEM front drop links, oil/filter change, thermostat change, plenum drain cleaning. On Tuesday it goes in for a full clutch change and in a couple of weeks I will be doing the belts and water pump followed by lower front suspension arms. As much as I hope that will be it for a while I know there is more to come.

Good luck with your epic list!
3000km in 2 months you must have a huge grin on your face.
Sadly I don't get to drive mine as much as I'd like
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2021, 23:07   #73
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Now for sale

Now coming out of retirement to sell this car. I will be listing it tomorrow in the relevant section for less than the amount I will have to pay for the next service on my latest wheels!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 16:35   #74
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
This will be a bit long so bear with me.

We tend to maintain our cars in tip-top condition. So, as the wife's 02 plate 75 CDT was coming up to 90k miles last year, we had the clutch, slave cylinder, master cylinder, both diesel pumps and all brake discs/pads replaced with genuine MGR items. The idea was that apart from regular servicing, we should not have to worry about any of the major service/maintennce items for the next 80k+ miles. Then during September, a TD4 came out of a side road and inflicted over 8k's worth of damage to the CDT as it went past on the A140. It basically ripped the side off and there was no hope of saving the 75.

Er Indoors will not have anything else whilst 75's are still available (I did suggest a Berlingo) so we got an 05 plate Connie SE CDTI with 82k miles, leather etc.

I am now starting the preemptive maintenance process again so that functionally she will have as close to a new 75 as possible.

So, the following will get replaced as a matter of course over the next 3-4 months:
  • Engine flush with Millers 5W40 oil followed by new oil of the same type (done)
  • All service filters (done)
  • PCV filter (done)
  • Joules plenum guards (done)
  • New OEM thermostat and coolant replacement (done)
  • Battery replaced with Bosch S5 (done)
  • Rear light seal replacement (done)
  • Head/foglamp bulbs replaced with Nightbreakers (done)
  • MAF (next - on order from Germany)
  • Brake discs, pads, fluid change (Genuine MGR disks/pads/sensors already purchased)
  • Handbrake compensator
  • Intercooler vitron rings and radiator fan resistor upgrade
  • Clutch - 3 piece kit including CSC, plus master cylinder (Luk set already purchased)
  • DMF plus new bolts (Luk DMF already purchased)
  • Lower engine mount (OEM being ordered)
  • Any bushes or other items needing replacement...
The clutch/DMF work will carried out by Terry at tsauto - I'm just waiting for some nicer weather so that whilst the car is with him, I can do a day's walking. Terry will also carry out a full check on the car to identify anything else that needs addressing.

My thought is now turning to what else is likely to need attention over the next few years that can be taken care of during the next 6-9 months. My thoughts are as follow:

Replace lower suspension bushes with new set from Joules
Replace front lower wishbones (OEM)
Replace suspension links (OEM or Delphi)
Replace rear suspension links (OEM or Delphi)

I can't think of any other suspension related items that would wear/perish with time and mileage (ignoring springs and dampers).

What else do you think would be worth doing at the same time as the above suspension items?

Thanks in advance,

Maninder.
Sorry, but you have given me a laugh. Preemptive maintenance when you talk about Delphi drop links. In my experience,Delphi droplinks are utter rubbish. Done the preemptive game with those on my diesel. Never lasted 4000 miles. I will buy nothing Delphi now.
Old 25th August 2021, 17:45   #75
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

We had this exchange about Delphi droplinks back in 2018.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=284461

I've never had any issues with Delphi or TRW suspension/steering items and tend go with these two manufacturers whenever Lemforders are not available.

I guess it must be due to either the state of our roads in Suffolk or the state of all the other components in the car's suspension that I never seem to have issues with premature failure of components.
Old 9th November 2021, 23:59   #76
MSS
This is my second home

Having advertised the car on the forum, it was provisionally sold with all the work listed in the advert to be completed completed prior to completing the sale to a member.

When Andy (trikey) removed the OSF wheel with the broken spring, we found that when I hit a pothole the spring had broken in two places and the droplink mount on the strut had also broken off. We replaced both struts, springs, brake backplates, brake discs, pads etc.

With all the work done, and having sat in the car, I decided to just keep it. It needs to go in for an MOT after a full services including all the filters etc.

The above work was done expertly by Andy, but I did talk at him all the time he was here!

An updated to the list of major jobs follows in the next post.
Old 10th November 2021, 00:04   #77
MSS
This is my second home

It is now 9 years and 74k miles since we purchased this 75 CDT. The total mileage is coming up to 156k and this year I had a number of further items replaced. The list below has been updated accordingly.

Here are all the things done to date (starting point 82k miles):
  • Engine flush with Millers 5W40 oil followed by new oil of the same type (done, then subsequent oil change at 6k miles)
  • All service filters (done)
  • PCV filter replacement (done)
  • Joules plenum guard installation (done)
  • New OEM thermostat and coolant replacement (done)
  • Battery replacement with Bosch S5008 (done)
  • Rear light seal replacement (done)
  • Head/foglamp bulbs replaced with Nightbreakers (done)
  • MAF (new one purchased but the T4 showed the old one in spec, so added the new one to the parts collection for future use)
  • Brake discs, pads, fluid change (New genuine MGR disks/pads/sensors all around - done)
  • Handbrake compensator mod (done)
  • Intercooler vitron rings (no leak, so not done)
  • Radiator fan resistor replacement (done)
  • Clutch - 3 piece kit including CSC (Luk set already purchased - not installed as already had replacement LUk fitted - added to collecion of parts for future use)
  • Clutch master cylinder (done - it appears the previous owner had not replaced at the same time as the clutch)
  • DMF plus new bolts (Luk DMF purchased, added to collection for future use)
  • Lower engine mount (done, using OEM item)
  • Replace lower arm rear bushes (done, using Unipart items)
  • Replacement of lower arm balljoint covers (done - the covers were damaged -probably at the time of the clutch replacement)
  • Track-rod end replacement (done)
  • Clean and waxoyl brake pipes (done)
  • Clean and waxoyl suspension components (done)
  • Clean and waxoyl all key bolts/nuts under the body (done)
  • Clean and waxoyl fuel tank straps (done)
  • Bonnet mod (done)
  • Tie steering reservoir fluid pipe out of the way for aircon pipe (done)
  • 4-wheel alignment (done)
  • T4 session including brake bleed (done)
  • Install tyre protectors on struts (done).
  • Replace front springs (done - installed sachs springs)
  • Replace strut top bearings (done - SNR)
  • Replace front drop links (done - Delphi)
  • Replace rear springs (done - Sachs)
  • Replace rear dampers (done - OEM Delphi)
  • New tyres fitted all around
  • 4-wheel laser alignment (done)
  • Replace PAS pump & fluid flush (done - PAS pump had developed a slight leak)
  • Replace drive belts (done)
  • Replace fuel filter again (at 30k miles from last- done)
  • Replace PCV separator filter again (at 30k miles from last - done)
  • Oil and filter changes at 7.5k mile intervals
  • Air filter changed at 25k miles from the last change (done)
  • Alternator replaced with a fully rebuilt one (rebuilt by Ipswich based firm Nacton Auto Electrical)
  • Replaced diesel filter head due to fuel pressure senor issue throwing up EML intermittently.
  • Installed starter motor contact replacement kit
  • All other filters and PCV separation filter replaced at <15k miles since the last change.
  • Front windscreen replaced with new.
  • Oil and filter changes every 6k miles.
  • Fitted Pirelli P7 Cinturato's all round
Work during June 2017.
  • Replacement of rear brake pipes with Kunifer for the straight runs and copper for those with tight bends. Front pipes are fine so cleaned and coated in grease.
  • Both outer track rod ends replaced.
  • The other side drop link had developed slight play so that has been replaced with a Delphi part. The Delphi drop links have lasted over 43k miles each.
  • Exhaust system developed a leak in the rear box and the complete system, from cat back, replaced with Klarius.
  • Service.
Work done June 2018
  • Rebuilt driver side brake caliper as it had started to bind.
  • Yearly service.
Work done May/June 2019
  • New windscreen as the 4-year old one one had a small crack.
  • Headlight restoration using Rain-X kit
  • New rear upper arms fitted (old ones were actually OK but they were going to need replacing at some point in the car's life so now done.
  • Interim service.
  • Full thorough inspection of the car including brake discs, pads, underside etc.
  • MOT today at 151944 miles (one advisory for a scored front brake disc. This was expected and resulted from the earlier binding brake caliper. But, the TRW discs are well within spec and new pads were fitted the the time of caliper rebuild.
Work done by trikey in August 2019
  • New 3-piece Luk Repset PRO clutch kit fitted (new master fitted earlier as noted above), system flushed... (although provided, new DMF not replaced as play on the original only 12mm)
  • Gearbox fluid change with Rover MTF94.
  • T4 diagnostic checks performed - MAF provided but not replaced as original is fine
  • Brake fluid replaced and T4 brake bleed performed.
  • Car given a thorough inspection by trikey
Work done by Andy (trikey) in September 2021
  • New Sachs/Boge struts
  • New front springs
  • New front brake back plates
  • New droplinks (Meyle HD)
  • New front brake discs and pads (TRW)
December 2021
  • Full service including all filters, oil etc.
  • MOT

Last edited by MSS; 13th September 2022 at 20:22..
Old 10th November 2021, 20:08   #78
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Don't want to sound disrespectful but after you've spent something like £2k on preventative maintenance, what if someone hits you? The smallest knock can easily write off the car. If that happens it's false economy is it not? please don't think me a non enthusiast, (although I probably am) but I do tend to be realistic
You are lying in bed one morning, just about to get up! Suddenly the chimney falls through the roof onto your bed? Analogy:- things can happen at anytime, but no doubt you change the bedclothes!
Old 10th November 2021, 21:02   #79
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Here we go again! The ZT190 I talked about in post #73 was written off earlier this year, just as it had reached a high standard. Maintenance was all up to date, the car was 100% reliable and looked great inside and out. The plan was to sell my MGF and invest the money in painting the ZT Then a criminal on the run from the law ran into my car and totalled it.
I now have a replacement, a ZT-T190 from Germany. With the current "Shipping Crisis" the purchase and shipping wiped out the insurance settlement and the sale of the MGF so it's a good thing the ZT-T is in excellent condition.

I am working my way through my maintenance list. I have swapped over the EBC brakes K&N filter, spring guards, bonnet struts, Viton rad cap seals and dash cam from my old ZT. I will be doing an oil change in the next week and will swap over my poly-bushed lower engine mount then. I have a set of Rick-sta's LED fogs and bulb set to fit and have a new IPK screen on order. Once that lot is sorted I think I will do a precautionary belt and t-stat change then see how it goes.
Old 11th November 2021, 19:42   #80
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
Bonnet pull mod.
Grease, Waxoyl, or paint brake pipes
Replace locking wheel bolts, if you have them, with standard bolts.......before you get a puncture ! ! !
Consider Waxoyl on suspension parts to limit rust, particularly of springs.
Hi crofts, isnt there some issues with painting brake pipes? At my last mot the garage explained that they couldnt see the condition of the pipes because they had been painted....
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote