Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th November 2021, 10:55   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
To be at one with the diverse world we now find ourselves in, I have watched the John Lewis Christmas advertisement, and I think that's the last Noel for a white Christmas !
What do you mean?, pray explain yourself.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 10:58   #12
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Only if you wish to complicate matters and create obstacles.

My approach is so simple that there are no obstacles....hate all equally.

Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the best!
The simplest solutions are ALWAYS the best.
Old 11th November 2021, 12:32   #13
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Hatred is always destructive and usually rebounds on the hater. Its partner Prejudice is merely the submerged and repressed hatred infant which lights the fire.
Old 11th November 2021, 14:13   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Aha, but all men (and women) are naturally haters and lovers. One of the key variables that differentiates one from another is whether each man spreads his hate around universally and in small measures, or channels it selectively and therefore unequally based on prejudices.

The other variable is whether they are honest enough to acknowledge their natural state or prefer to work under cover of being some higher authority than the rest.

Equally, prejudice is part of a man's natural make-up. It only becomes an issue when it leads to the channeling of hate.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 14:57   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Don't think so. Many of us are genuinely open and acquiescent, neither haters nor prejudiced (in the accepted 'woke' sense). Unfortunately, and sadly, some just look for anything to pick on to use as an opportunity for friction.

Hence the rise and rise of some sections of social media. The rise in hatred curiously parallels the huge expansion of on-line trolling where narrow outlooks and minds are ever present. It has now spread to the 'minds' of some immature elements of our universities so it perpetuates another generation. Hardly progress.
Old 11th November 2021, 16:57   #16
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

The JL Christmas advert for this year is wonderful, and sends out a message of love and tolerance to all humanity, at a time when we ALL need it, there is no place in the modern world for hatred, intolerance, bigotry etc etc.
I understand that there has been a great deal of objection and negativity from some people over the choice of family used in the advert, not as to the content , or message conveyed in the advert, but that is to be expected, the country has always struggled to deal with what some observers call ethnic issues, it is a sad reality that until we as a nation tackle this issue effectively through education, we will continue to decline.
Old 11th November 2021, 17:18   #17
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I like this years advert, a broken spaceship, that takes a couple of days to repair, relates a lot to the 75 & ZT owner.
Old 12th November 2021, 12:16   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I like this years advert, a broken spaceship, that takes a couple of days to repair, relates a lot to the 75 & ZT owner.
I did notice the steam blowing out of what is probably the alien engine's cylinder head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
The JL Christmas advert for this year is wonderful, and sends out a message of love and tolerance to all humanity, at a time when we ALL need it, there is no place in the modern world for hatred, intolerance, bigotry etc etc.
I understand that there has been a great deal of objection and negativity from some people over the choice of family used in the advert, not as to the content , or message conveyed in the advert, but that is to be expected, the country has always struggled to deal with what some observers call ethnic issues, it is a sad reality that until we as a nation tackle this issue effectively through education, we will continue to decline.
That difficulty to which you refer is diminishing rapidly. The younger generation don't struggle with diversity or ethnicity at all. I have now dealt with youngsters at the college for three years and my observation is that they just do not notice the differences in ethnicity, colour, background, sexual orientation etc. My experience with youngsters and people in general at work was exactly the same. It is to be expected that some of the previous generation will hold onto quaint ides about what the world should be, rather than embracing what it is. Such people will probably be bitter for the rest of their lives. I admire you for making your refreshing and unequivocal position clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Don't think so. Many of us are genuinely open and acquiescent, neither haters nor prejudiced (in the accepted 'woke' sense). Unfortunately, and sadly, some just look for anything to pick on to use as an opportunity for friction.

Hence the rise and rise of some sections of social media. The rise in hatred curiously parallels the huge expansion of on-line trolling where narrow outlooks and minds are ever present. It has now spread to the 'minds' of some immature elements of our universities so it perpetuates another generation. Hardly progress.
That is truly an amazing, almost nonhuman purity of being which you describe. Such purity would be envied by angels. Are you absolutely sure that what you say really is the case and that it is not in fact a case of not yet having truly discovered your real self? Either way, it appears that you may have achieved the same state of personal contentment as I be it for the exact opposite reasons.

Last edited by MSS; 13th November 2021 at 08:54..
Old 13th November 2021, 21:53   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

"I'm Givin' Her All She's Got, Captain!"

"Beam me up Scotty!"

"That is illogical!"

Who is John Lewis anyway? Is he related to Martin?

Old 14th November 2021, 10:08   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
"I'm Givin' Her All She's Got, Captain!"

"Beam me up Scotty!"

"That is illogical!"

Who is John Lewis anyway? Is he related to Martin?

Is that a covert attempt at humour or just your normal style?