Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2021, 22:18   #1
The Exile

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy Worst Luck Ever! Do I need a new engine?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and new to owning my 2004 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur. As the title suggests I've not had very good luck with this car, I literally purchased it Sunday afternoon and I hadn't even got the car halfway home when the car suddenly lost power and the AA recovery man informed me that the timing belt had gone... now this isn't 100% confirmed, he didn't go as far as taking the covers off and checking but the signs point towards this being the case.

Before anyone comments that I should have taken it back... I'm not going to try and argue with the seller, it was his dad's car who passed away about 18 months prior and the car has barely been driven since, I don't believe he knew the belt was on its way out and he took me out for a test drive in the car and it was driving beautifully up until the point it wasn't.

So now I've got to work out what I'm going to do with the car... I know economically it doesn't make sense to spend any real money on these but the fact is this car has been loved, its in beautiful condition, has had a lot of upgrades done to the car and has a mere 55,000 miles on the clock so I really want to get this cat back up and running provided it's not going to financially ruin me in the process.

I don't know a load about this kind of thing so I really need some advice on how to proceed... i know it's difficult to say without knowing exactly what damage has been done but let's say the timing belt has gone, is the engine likely to be completely knackered (as in needs swapping for a complete new engine)? would I be able to just replace parts of the engine? is the engine itself likely to be OK but valves and pistons knackered? What would be the first steps I need to take?

I've already phoned around a couple of garages who didn't seem overly keen on taking on the job so that could be my next issue but depending just how involved it is I may even consider doing the work myself. Thanks in advance for any advice.
The Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2021, 22:28   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hi Adam

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, if the timing belt has let go the chances are it will have bent a few valves! The pistons are normally ok when this happens unless you have been very unlucky.

I repaired one a few months ago that had done the same, i put two reconditioned heads on, and replaced an exhaust cam as the end had sheared off.

Along with new belts, water pump and a good service all was well again.
Old 11th November 2021, 05:45   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Welcome to the Club Adam, so sad that you have had such a quick need to ask for help, but rest assured, as has been evident already, help and advice is here on the forum. You will receive sensible advice and using the search tool and the "how to" section you will realize that if the car is as good as described, and if necessary, it will worth spending some money on.

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 08:48   #4
rover_ghost

Rover 75

Darn Adam I'm really sorry that you had to feel that. When i bought mine Rover 1.8 classic gasoline everything was fine when driving off from the seller that i bought it from but then few days later steam started to go out the hood, it wasn't smoke from the engine or anything. So what happened is the heater tube had burst but i didn't had a smallest idea to what it could be, so I did think the worst. After i took it to a couple of these local garages they all were a scam and trying to take my money for it saying that its the head of the engine...as it turned out it has been nothing but the tube that the water was leaking out of it.
rover_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 12:30   #5
The Exile

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Hi Adam

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, if the timing belt has let go the chances are it will have bent a few valves! The pistons are normally ok when this happens unless you have been very unlucky.

I repaired one a few months ago that had done the same, i put two reconditioned heads on, and replaced an exhaust cam as the end had sheared off.

Along with new belts, water pump and a good service all was well again.
Thanks trikey, hopefully mine won't be as bad as I'm suspecting then. Did you do the repair work yourself or did you put it in to a garage?
The Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 12:47   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exile View Post
Did you do the repair work yourself
Andy (trikey) is a club trader and top notch mechanic, unfortunately he's a bit far away for you, Norfolk. Nearest trader/mechanic is Mickyboy in Herne Bay, still a fair bit away.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 20:32   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

First thing is to confirm the condition of the belts . You comment that you may consider doing the work yourself so I guess you would be quite happy removing the covers on the 3 cambelts to check ( there are 3 belts , one big one on the front and a small one on the rear of each head )
If you find a snapped belt , then you know where you are ! There is also the possibility of a slipped belt that has jumped a couple of teeth due to lack of tension , and may cause similar damage such as bent valves
If you were to do this repair yourself then the complex bit is refitting and timing the new belts . Removing the heads themselves holds no particular challenges .
I have done this to replace worn valve stem oil seals , and the one down side was that there are 24 valves to handle , if you go as far as removing the valves !
Not a quick job at all , but very doable if you are competent , and even enjoyable if you like tinkering On the other hand , before leaving it with a garage I would want to be very reassured of their experience and knowledge .

Last edited by chris75; 11th November 2021 at 20:47..
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 21:27   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exile View Post
... the car suddenly lost power and the AA recovery man informed me that the timing belt had gone... now this isn't 100% confirmed, he didn't go as far as taking the covers off and checking ...
Hello Adam,

It's not possible to take off the covers to check at the roadside so let's not be too pessimistic about this. The belts are good for 90,000 miles (MG Rover data) and it's very unlikely that another component caused belt failure at only 55,000 miles.

My recommendation is that you don't rely upon the AA's opinion. Get a considered, accurate diagnosis. For example, you could have the common case of fuel filter separation. Does the engine turn normally when you operate the starter?

Simon
Old 11th November 2021, 21:56   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

SD1too's last sentence is good advice.

My daughter's V6 suffered from a slipped belt, and because of the loss of compression the starter turned the engine over at about twice the normal speed. If you are unfamiliar with normal operation, try and find a video of one starting and compare it to yours.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 12:46   #10
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The AA guys aren't infallible, the filter coming apart in mine was diagnosed as a failed fuel pump. Fortunately a local MGR mechanic diagnosed it correctly without even looking at it.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote