Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th November 2021, 21:40   #11
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Seriously people, although our XF-S is 1.3 seconds slower than the XFR-S for 0 to 60 at 5.9 seconds vs 4.6, the refinement of its V6 diesel and the sound when accelerating is incredible. As is attention to detail on every aspect of the car. My son was home 2 weeks ago and went in the car for the first time. When I demonstrated the accelerating on the A12, he just could not believe that a diesel engine could sound the way it does as he was pinned to the seat.
Whilst the colour, interior and gearbox don't do it for me, I bet it'd be a huge amount of fun!

My XE is the baby of the range, with a mere 160 horses, but I have to say when you put your foot down the engine has a pleasing tone, doesn't sound like a diesel, and is certainly more fun than the ZT was.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 21:46   #12
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

SUV's are brutish blocks & have no style whatsoever.
They just don't do it for me at all, a result of being a lifelong Rover man methinks .
The more expensive ones now being ridiculously large objects whose owners/lessees are generally lacking the spatial-awareness to manoeuvre them correctly, especially in the urban environment.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 15th November 2021 at 21:49..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2021, 22:25   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Whilst the colour, interior and gearbox don't do it for me, I bet it'd be a huge amount of fun!
Those are the aspects that really do it for me. The car has to complement and contrast one's own complexion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
SUV's are brutish blocks & have no style whatsoever.
They just don't do it for me at all, a result of being a lifelong Rover man methinks .
The more expensive ones now being ridiculously large objects whose owners/lessees are generally lacking the spatial-awareness to manoeuvre them correctly, especially in the urban environment.
I agree with everything you say. But what has that got to do with an estate car?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 05:21   #14
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default If God Exists

Maninder

I could not agree with you more, the XFR-S Sportbrake is a monster, and I would love to have the blue saloon XFR-S that they make, but, like you, I am happy with my XF-S Diesel, which you say has adequate power, and If I do need a car with more power, then I open up the garage and take one of the others out, or if I want a very sedate drive round the country roads in summer then take out the MGF.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...58&postcount=1

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155

Last edited by Fusilier; 16th November 2021 at 05:27..
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 07:33   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Seriously people, although our XF-S is 1.3 seconds slower than the XFR-S for 0 to 60 at 5.9 seconds vs 4.6, the refinement of its V6 diesel and the sound when accelerating is incredible ... My son was home 2 weeks ago ... When I demonstrated the accelerating on the A12, he just could not believe that a diesel engine could sound the way it does as he was pinned to the seat.
Maninder; you've started a great thread here. It's refreshing to read opposite views presented light heartedly and with no underlying malice.

I'm guessing that you and I were probably young boy-racer types in the same decade (I won't say which one!). In those days it was all about 0 - 60 times (and 16 valves). The next time I looked, people were competing on alloy wheel design and whether their ICE had bluetooth or a massively powerful woofer, the engine didn't seem to matter any more. Then it was an obsession with fuel consumption. So long as you had a diesel which allegedly returned a zillion miles per gallon, you could hold your head high on the Queen's highway.

But wait! We seem to have gone full circle now as folk are again praising insane power outputs. Whilst I agree that rapid acceleration is great fun and useful in responsible hands, the opportunities to enjoy powerful cars safely are getting fewer with the proliferation of various 'traffic calming" measures. Is it really worth it to have a 550 bhp vehicle I'm wondering?

Simon
Old 16th November 2021, 07:50   #16
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Very nice looking car we had a saloon version few years ago and it was a great car, the estate version would be great
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 09:09   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Maninder; you've started a great thread here. It's refreshing to read opposite views presented light heartedly and with no underlying malice.

I'm guessing that you and I were probably young boy-racer types in the same decade (I won't say which one!). In those days it was all about 0 - 60 times (and 16 valves). The next time I looked, people were competing on alloy wheel design and whether their ICE had bluetooth or a massively powerful woofer, the engine didn't seem to matter any more. Then it was an obsession with fuel consumption. So long as you had a diesel which allegedly returned a zillion miles per gallon, you could hold your head high on the Queen's highway.

But wait! We seem to have gone full circle now as folk are again praising insane power outputs. Whilst I agree that rapid acceleration is great fun and useful in responsible hands, the opportunities to enjoy powerful cars safely are getting fewer with the proliferation of various 'traffic calming" measures. Is it really worth it to have a 550 bhp vehicle I'm wondering?

Simon

Morning Simon.

Interestingly, in my younger days I was never into powerful cars. Perhaps because affording one wasn't a realistic prospect. I was more into comfort and my first car was a Talbot Alpine and the second an Austin Princess 1.8 auto.

It wasn't until about 1990 that I had my first car with an engine that sounded and was quite powerful - a Sierra 2.0 GLS with two twin-venturi Webber carburetors. This was a limited edition before Ford introduced fuel injection as standard on the car.

These days even my lawnmowers have their standard engines replaced with more powerful ones. My flail mower has a 16HP V-twin powering the flails!

Maninder.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 11:03   #18
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Now your torqueing....

These days even my lawnmowers have their standard engines replaced with more powerful ones. My flail mower has a 16HP V-twin powering the flails!

I darnt show you my Honda V twin 18 with a fuel valve cut off problem.. Thats now fixed..
Old 17th November 2021, 15:53   #19
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
I agree with everything you say. But what has that got to do with an estate car?
It looks like a squashed SUV to me.
The insiduous influence bleeding into the design studios.

The annoying thing is, Rover started the whole trend off.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 18:31   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
The annoying thing is, Rover started the whole trend off.
I think I understand what you're getting at Gary but Rover didn't make an SUV. In a way, that may have contributed to their downfall. All their Land Rover vehicles were proper four wheel drive off-roaders. I acknowledge though, that today's Range Rover is more likely to see a private school car park than a farmyard.

Simon