Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th November 2021, 18:06   #1
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Spluttering on start up when cold-first time ever

Dear All
After finally getting my V6 through its MOT today (just replaced two 4 month old rear shock mounts made of treacle!!), I started it up for the first time in about a week and instead of the immediate start up, it spluttered into life. I have never experienced this before. I left it to warm up a little and drove it to the testing station and it purred all the way as if nothing was wrong! Even when I had the car washed by three guys on the way, it burst into life!! I had to get it washed as I could have grown potatoes on it!! By the way, it is the first time in my life someone else has washed my car, at 61, I must be getting old!! Any suggestions will be great fully recieved. In the summer I replaced the spark plugs, vis motors and most of the rest of the car!! Could it be the coils??? Its a Mk1 ZT 2.5.
Very best wishes to all,
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 19:09   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Not a V6 man but would have thought failing coils would give you misfires - try cleaning the spade connector to the starter motor (battery connection) - its a common reason on the 1.8 for non starts and difficult starts.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 19:31   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

damp>---:d:d:d
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 19:51   #4
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Thanks Yorkshire GOC and Colvert
I thought it might be the coils, just have to work out which type I have on the car. There are two types, if it the older ones I'll replace the HT leads as well. It has been very dry in North Yorkshire for days so I am not sure if it is the damp.

All the other MGRovers in the family have no advisories and fly through their MOTs and I put mine in and it failed!!! The new rear shocks I fitted four months ago had very poor quality rubber bushes and lasted on 4 months, when I took them back off they were like treacle!! It also failed on its headlight, the adjusters were broken!! A faf to replace!! All good for another year!!
Thanks for your advice,
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2021, 21:06   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had a V6 with leads on the front 3 and had the occasional misfire on damp days. A new set of leads cured the problem. The carbon in the leads starts to break down with age, heat, expansion and contraction, causing the spark to weaken, having to jump the gaps.
Old 17th November 2021, 19:40   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I had a V6 with leads on the front 3 and had the occasional misfire on damp days. A new set of leads cured the problem. The carbon in the leads starts to break down with age, heat, expansion and contraction, causing the spark to weaken, having to jump the gaps.
As the leads age and the insulation weakens the sparks find it easier to jump out through the sides rather than travel down the length of the leads. Any moisture around helps the electricity to track out through the sides.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 09:47   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
I started it up for the first time in about a week and instead of the immediate start up, it spluttered into life. I have never experienced this before.
Hi Bob,

As this is an isolated incident I would do nothing at the moment except sharpen your senses. It also wouldn't do any harm to put your battery on charge at this time of year and following the MOT test. Stronger evidence is required before any parts purchases are contemplated.

Simon