Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th November 2021, 00:52   #21
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am a believer in same tread pattern on an axle for reasons that has been said in the thread by others, handling characteristics. I just thought I'd post what I'd found. It makes it difficult to know what is right.

wife just needs 1 tyre but I did have to hunt round for the tyre. I rang Ford and they offered me something else and like what is on her car or not I do want the same on the axle.

macafee2

macafee2
I always buy in pairs but on occasions over the years due to puncture etc have ended up with an odd pair for a while, though I will always make sure this ends up on the rear.

I had a very lightly worn tyre I took off a spare set of wheels I bought for fitting winter tyres on. I kept it in storage and when I recently had a puncture I got it fitted, hence mismatch for MOT. I understand the arguments about grip and handling, but good tread on the rear end, with sensible driving I can't see how much difference a mismatch on the rear axle of a front wheel drive car will make?

I would always want a matching pair on the front, and get my new ones fitted there despite tyre fitters always wanting to put them on the back.
Can't understand why you wouldn't want the best grip on the front where all the steering, traction and most of the braking happens.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 11:49   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
I always buy in pairs but on occasions over the years due to puncture etc have ended up with an odd pair for a while, though I will always make sure this ends up on the rear.

I had a very lightly worn tyre I took off a spare set of wheels I bought for fitting winter tyres on. I kept it in storage and when I recently had a puncture I got it fitted, hence mismatch for MOT. I understand the arguments about grip and handling, but good tread on the rear end, with sensible driving I can't see how much difference a mismatch on the rear axle of a front wheel drive car will make?

I would always want a matching pair on the front, and get my new ones fitted there despite tyre fitters always wanting to put them on the back.
Can't understand why you wouldn't want the best grip on the front where all the steering, traction and most of the braking happens.
Apparently it's the back that will always be the first to slide when cornering in slippery conditions even with matching tyres.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 11:59   #23
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Copied from the Goodyear website:

Installing Tires on the Rear Axle

When tires are replaced in pairs, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle, and the partially worn tires should be moved to the front. Driving with new tires on the rear axle can help the vehicle to maintain control on wet roads because the tires with deeper treads are more likely to resist hydroplaning.

When front tires have less tread than the tires on the rear axle, the vehicle is generally considered easier to control, since sliding would likely be the result of an understeer –which is easier for the driver to control by decreasing throttle. If worn tires are placed on the rear axle and a slide occurs, it’s likely the result of an oversteer (where the rear of the vehicle continues to move straight ahead). Oversteering is generally harder to recover from and decreasing throttle may actually amplify the negative effects of the oversteer.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 16:12   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Protyre: mixing different tread patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Edit: I have sent an e-mail to Protyre asking them for more information on their claim.
I have received a reply from Protyre simply referring me to this section of the MOT manual. I have informed them that it contains no reference to mixing tread patterns on the same axle being grounds for failing the MOT test. I have therefore asked them to correct their mistake as it potentially misleads people into making unnecessary purchases.

I will report further if I receive a response.

Simon
Old 19th November 2021, 19:06   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
I have received a reply from Protyre simply referring me to this section of the MOT manual. I have informed them that it contains no reference to mixing tread patterns on the same axle being grounds for failing the MOT test. I have therefore asked them to correct their mistake as it potentially misleads people into making unnecessary purchases.

Simon
Their spiel is indeed misleading, but not totally inaccurate;

Their title states, Don’t mix tyres across the same axle – it’s dangerous, and can be illegal. - this is true if crossply and radials are mixed (fails the MOT, therefore not roadworthy, ergo illegal) - the word can is powerful here.

Later on though it states, Can I mix different tyre tread patterns?
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.
(as mentioned from Macafee's post). Whilst legally and practically, this is not accurate, HOWEVER, their business practice appears to be cynically hoping that an ignorant motorist will take it to mean illegal. They are simply stating they will not allow their employees to fit mismatched tyres on the same axle, hinting it to be a safety issue. But they are NOT claiming it to be illegal or an MOT failure because of this, they are simply stating that they do not allow it .

To me it is simply greedy business practice, designed to maximise turnover - in the same vein as an MOT 'check' by certain garages will throw up 'phantom' faults and issues, for the ignorant or nervous motorist. Trading standards would be the port of call for that one, for misleading safety information for financial gain.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2021, 08:02   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:

Simon
I have heard back from Protyre as follows:

"We have brought this to the attention of the relevant team.
They will look into this matter and make any changes necessary."

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
They are simply stating they will not allow their employees to fit mismatched tyres on the same axle, hinting it to be a safety issue. But they are NOT claiming it to be illegal or an MOT failure because of this, they are simply stating that they do not allow it .
Hi Alan,

I agree with nearly all your analysis but concerning the above, whilst Protyre says that it is "not allowed", they do not reveal by whom. You are assuming that it is the company's own decision but that is not clear. A reader could equally be frightened by their statement, reaching a different assumption that it is a legal requirement.

When I raised this with Protyre they referred me to the DVSA MOT manual. That suggests that they consider it to be grounds for an MOT failure although they do not clearly state that in their claim. The easy way out would have been to take responsibility themselves as you have assumed is the case, but they did not do that.

When I pointed out to them that there is no such requirement in the MOT manual, Protyre had the opportunity to say that actually it is their own company policy not to fit different tread patterns on the same axle. They did not do this either.

I therefore don't see any evidence that their claim is company policy. As you say, it is misleading statement which will have the effect of increasing sales. We'll have to see if they make any corrections.

Simon
Old 20th November 2021, 14:36   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

Hi Alan,

I agree with nearly all your analysis but concerning the above, whilst Protyre says that it is "not allowed", they do not reveal by whom. You are assuming that it is the company's own decision but that is not clear. A reader could equally be frightened by their statement, reaching a different assumption that it is a legal requirement.

Simon
Hi Simon, that is my point. They have made their statement in such a vague way that it instills a concern into the reader, The company can only make such a statement with two authorities. Themselves or via the govt legislation. They are hoping that the reader will make the assumption that it is made due to legislation, and therefore the reader will spend more money with the company - 'after all, they are looking after my best interests, by discussing the safety and legality of tyres previously'. It is a cynical and unfair form of passive hard selling.

It is not an untrue statement, but an unfair one - which is why I suggested trading standards.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 14:30   #28
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Mine field, do you know the law?

Here are two examples of information taken from websites
https://www.protyre.co.uk/news/may-2...20each%20other.

Can I mix different tyre tread patterns?
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.

and this web site says different

https://www.bktyres.co.uk/advice/uk-tyre-law/
Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle’s handbook for tyre fitment details and options.

macafee2
It is an offence to mix crossply and radial tyres on the same axle. Otherwise, as far as I know, matched tyres are just recommended, not a legal requirement.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 14:46   #29
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Ian.
Why would anyone want to do that on the same axle one of my pet hates is seeing a car with different tyres, even if they have same type on each axle, i have to put the same tyres on all four corners, one it looks better, it is safer in my opinion.

On all Freelanders 1&2 they must be the same have the same tread depth other wise damage can be caused to the drive train.

Tyres are the same as your brakes in terms of safety, they are must be kept in good order including the right type for the car.
A rare occasion when I don't necessarily agree with you. As we all know, tyres have wildly differing characteristics, so I agree with matching on the same axle. However, I have never had performance issues with different pairs. In fact, on large vehicles, tyres must be different on driven, steered or trailer axles. Om my motor cycles I, along with most bikers, would experiment to find the best combinations of front and rear as a "bad" combination could be deadly.
On economy grounds, front and rear tyres usually wear at different rates, so changing all four together needlessly is not something most of us can justify. I haven't had a traction/steering problem for about 48 years when my youthful exuberance, a patch of ice and lack of experience saw me doing an uncontrolled exotic dance and unskilled reverse into bushes, in my Mk2 Consul
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 15:29   #30
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
It is an offence to mix crossply and radial tyres on the same axle. Otherwise, as far as I know, matched tyres are just recommended, not a legal requirement.
I read this on some ones MOT today

Advisory notice item(s)
n/s/r tyre speed rating different to rest

So speed rating must be the same otherwise you will get an advisory on the MOT.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote