Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th November 2021, 08:41   #1
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Plenum drain tube

Directly underneath the pollen filter in the bottom of the plenum chamber is a large drain hole about 3 or 4 cms in diameter. Shouldn't this have a rubber sleeve inserted into it? There's nothing there on the car I'm repairing. I can see a double skin in the bodywork so currently rainwater will be going where it's not supposed to.

This is for the pride-and-joy of an elderly gentleman which I'm repairing following various garage bodges!

If anyone can help, he and I would be very grateful.

Simon
Old 25th November 2021, 10:27   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Directly underneath the pollen filter in the bottom of the plenum chamber is a large drain hole about 3 or 4 cms in diameter. Shouldn't this have a rubber sleeve inserted into it? There's nothing there on the car I'm repairing. I can see a double skin in the bodywork so currently rainwater will be going where it's not supposed to.

Quote:
This is for the pride-and-joy of an elderly gentleman which I'm repairing following various garage bodges!

If anyone can help, he and I would be very grateful.

Simon
HI Simon.
This is what you need, to fit it make sure you have applied some red rubber grease around the fixing points, at the same time trim 20mm off the end, then insert it from the top within the plenum, using your middle finger, once it is inserted get under the car to make sure the first fixing point as lipped over the outer skin
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393511739...MAAOSw9plf-EMC

You could also ask anyone on the forum if they are breaking a R40 up or have one as a donna car

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2021, 10:32   #3
SD1too

Thanks very much Steve. I hadn't got around to searching eBay so the link is much appreciated.

Simon
Old 25th November 2021, 11:57   #4
SD1too

I think I'm sorted. A club member, who had one surplus to requirements, has come to the rescue.

I just need to clear the compacted mouse bedding from the sleeve under the brake servo.

Simon
Old 1st December 2021, 08:40   #5
SD1too

Default How difficult is fitting a plenum drain sleeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
... to fit it make sure you have applied some red rubber grease around the fixing points, at the same time trim 20mm off the end, then insert it from the top within the plenum, using your middle finger, once it is inserted get under the car to make sure the first fixing point is lipped over the outer skin ...
Thanks to Steve for his method which I followed. I was doing the passenger side and having done the middle finger thing, when I got under the car I noticed that the fuel lines run directly underneath where the end of the sleeve was peeping at me in a tantalising fashion. Having manoeuvred my hand and arm through the only available gap, could I get a purchase on the sleeve with fingers twined like ivy around the fuel lines? Err, no. I'm obviously not as dextrous as Steve! (The driver's side is a doddle with no obstructions.)

So on to plan B; inserting the whole thing upwards from below. I was more successful pushing than pulling and the rubber is thick and unyielding but I did get it located nicely in the lower skin. It was then just a case of teasing the top flange over the upper hole in the plenum and to pour a beer.

I think that Steve's recommendation to cut 20mm off the bottom of the tube is a good one because without it the end is pushed closed by the fuel lines bearing upon it. This is probably why it's always the NS which floods and not the OS.

Simon
Old 2nd December 2021, 01:29   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks to Steve for his method which I followed. I was doing the passenger side and having done the middle finger thing, when I got under the car I noticed that the fuel lines run directly underneath where the end of the sleeve was peeping at me in a tantalising fashion. Having manoeuvred my hand and arm through the only available gap, could I get a purchase on the sleeve with fingers twined like ivy around the fuel lines? Err, no. I'm obviously not as dextrous as Steve! (The driver's side is a doddle with no obstructions.)

So on to plan B; inserting the whole thing upwards from below. I was more successful pushing than pulling and the rubber is thick and unyielding but I did get it located nicely in the lower skin. It was then just a case of teasing the top flange over the upper hole in the plenum and to pour a beer.

Quote:
I think that Steve's recommendation to cut 20mm off the bottom of the tube is a good one because without it the end is pushed closed by the fuel lines bearing upon it. This is probably why it's always the NS which floods and not the OS.

Simon
Simon.
Just so members know what we are talking about most will but the new comers have all the fun in front of them.

Near side.

Off side

Reach up a cut 20mm off.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote