Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2021, 08:29   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonybiosphere View Post
... the mechanic saw rust in the chassis area around where he was doing the job, which he thought would be uneconomical to repair.
Hi Sam. I've come across this sort of thing before and the question is: what does "uneconomical" mean? That's entirely a matter for the owner and it depends upon many things including their love for their Rover, the expense of a replacement vehicle and, of course, their personal wealth and priorities. Is the mechanic who made the observation an MOT tester? What does he know about body repairs? It does sadden me when people scrap their cars on nothing more than opinionated guesswork from someone wearing overalls.

It's great that Ian has offered to help and I hope that you both can reach an agreement to keep the 75 from an ignominious fate.

Simon
Old 28th November 2021, 10:28   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default For sale or Free ?

Quote:
I've not spoken to her about the future of that car yet, I just know she was planning to get the scrap value for it and I know what happens to them when they go to a scrapyard as I've called more than a few looking for parts.

I would like to get the parts I need off it if it's just going to be used by someone else for parts, but if it was my car I'd be more than happy to give it away to someone who will get a few more miles from a piece from it, or get a car out of it at the end, than watch someone melt it down and forget it ever existed.

Quote:
In that sense, I'd be happy to pay my family member if there's money they're hoping to get out of the car at scrap that someone who wants the car for an actual use, either restoration or parts, doesn't want to pay for.

Hope that makes sense!
Hi Sam.
Am i reading the section quoted above right ? you are willing to pay your family member the £100 or what ever the scrap price is for the car, so he/she as got what they want for it.

(1)
Then you will give it to someone whom is willing to work with the car to get it back on the road after doing the work that is needed, which sounds like two new rear arms, ABS sensor or bearing, plus any other parts is may need such as tyres, and possibly four wheel alignment.

(2)
If the person you are going to let have the car for free? and they are going to just use it for parts to help others, you first want to take off what you would like for your own car, thus meaning that the car would need lifting to get to the place that the person whom wants it, which depending on the distance could be anything in cost wise from minimum of £100 up to £200.

If number (2) was the case then i would say, it would be wise to just take the parts you need off the car then scrap it after, as you will have most likley taken the parts off that anyone else would need also.

(3)
Another avenue is to sell the car as it is on here for the price your family member wants, stating what needs doing, maybe add photo of the rust at the rear, tyres ABS, etc, this avenue would need you to pay the £10 subs so you could sell it through the forum.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 28th November 2021 at 14:22.. Reason: spelling
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2021, 11:28   #13
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Arctic,

Essentially number 2 is the case yes, with the caveat that the car is a driveable vehicle if it didn't have bald back tyres. My family member has a spare in the boot, so if someone can provide another wheel, they could swap it and drive it away to store instead of destroy.

In essence, Simon has summed up my issue. The car is restorable, and if there's nobody willing to restore it, it's more than good for parts. If I had the space I'd very happily have bought the car and plonked it in a garage or covered it up to sit as a possible future restoration or to cannibalise it for parts for my own 75.

However, I don't have that space, so I'd much rather see it go to someone who can mothball the vehicle, so that the parts can serve someone who may find themselves needing a niche and impossible to source part that, if the scrapyards didn't crush them straightaway, they'd be able to get hold of.

The car will still drive, just preferably not with the back tyres as they are, especially in present weather conditions. For the sake of getting a jack under it and swapping two wheels, the parts are worth saving and worth more than what a scrapyard would pay for them, to anyone who finds themselves needing them.

Hope that makes my dilemma a little clearer, if all else fails then it will go to scrap but I think it's worth avoiding that if at all possible!

Cheers,
Sam
Stonybiosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2021, 14:27   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Hi Arctic,

Essentially number 2 is the case yes, with the caveat that the car is a driveable vehicle if it didn't have bald back tyres. My family member has a spare in the boot, so if someone can provide another wheel, they could swap it and drive it away to store instead of destroy.

In essence, Simon has summed up my issue. The car is restorable, and if there's nobody willing to restore it, it's more than good for parts. If I had the space I'd very happily have bought the car and plonked it in a garage or covered it up to sit as a possible future restoration or to cannibalise it for parts for my own 75.

However, I don't have that space, so I'd much rather see it go to someone who can mothball the vehicle, so that the parts can serve someone who may find themselves needing a niche and impossible to source part that, if the scrapyards didn't crush them straightaway, they'd be able to get hold of.

Quote:
The car will still drive, just preferably not with the back tyres as they are, especially in present weather conditions. For the sake of getting a jack under it and swapping two wheels, the parts are worth saving and worth more than what a scrapyard would pay for them, to anyone who finds themselves needing them.

Hope that makes my dilemma a little clearer, if all else fails then it will go to scrap but I think it's worth avoiding that if at all possible!

Cheers,
Sam
Hi Sam.
Then i would say you need to put it in the for sale section as a spares or repair car, and see if anyone takes up the offer, a moderator will give you more advice or information aimed at resolving your problem

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote