Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2021, 13:12   #1
Rogue
I really should get out more.......
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich
Posts: 2,288
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 985 Times in 708 Posts
Default Off to the paint shop

After some lengthy waiting i dropped off the old thing off to a highly recommended paint shop this morning to get the wheel arch cut out and replaced/Painted. This is after a supposed classic car restorer had a go at it and after 6 months or so the rust bubbles came through so more than a little disappointed!!
Also getting the front bumper resprayed and the rest of the car mopped and attention paid where needed overall so fingers crossed it will look nice once done and isn't going to be cheap but in for a penny or so they say.
Also big shout out to Andy (Trikey) for the loan of his ZT while mine is away being worked on as it's going to be a week or two before i get her back.
Will post some after pics on her return
__________________

Glutton for punishment ---2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
Old 29th November 2021, 09:35   #2
Saga Lout
This is my second home
 
MG ZT and Rover 75,

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wigan
Posts: 3,104
Thanks: 2,480
Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default The problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
After some lengthy waiting i dropped off the old thing off to a highly recommended paint shop this morning to get the wheel arch cut out and replaced/Painted. This is after a supposed classic car restorer had a go at it and after 6 months or so the rust bubbles came through so more than a little disappointed!!
Also getting the front bumper resprayed and the rest of the car mopped and attention paid where needed overall so fingers crossed it will look nice once done and isn't going to be cheap but in for a penny or so they say.
Also big shout out to Andy (Trikey) for the loan of his ZT while mine is away being worked on as it's going to be a week or two before i get her back.
Will post some after pics on her return
Those rust bubbles are from inside and would have needed cutting out in the first place, the other problem is finding out why the seam has failed. I've not seen many of these cars rusting like this.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saga Lout For This Useful Post:
Old 29th November 2021, 09:53   #3
coolguy
Coolguy
 
Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finedon
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 840
Thanked 579 Times in 386 Posts
Default

When the 75 was first announced, I thought that the shape of the rear wheel arch would be prone to rust - fortunately I was wrong, and none of my present ones have succumbed.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy For This Useful Post:
Old 29th November 2021, 10:16   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz
 
stocktake's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LEEDS
Posts: 20,059
Thanks: 1,762
Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default

Mine went at the front of the rear arch, had to have it cut out.
__________________
Dave...



Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stocktake For This Useful Post:
Old 29th November 2021, 10:58   #5
clf
This is my second home
 
clf's Avatar
 
MG ZT CDTi

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: carrick
Posts: 7,660
Thanks: 3,461
Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,940 Posts
Default

I had a car that went there in the past. I reckon it was to do with the stone chips and air flow (therefore the direction the dirt and chips fly). Though the previous car went from.the outside in.

But if you look at the airflow/dirt witness marks before it is cleaned, it seems to gather in streaks - well my zt does.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
__________________


It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clf For This Useful Post:
Old 29th November 2021, 14:27   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich
Posts: 2,288
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 985 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Those rust bubbles are from inside and would have needed cutting out in the first place, the other problem is finding out why the seam has failed. I've not seen many of these cars rusting like this.



The previous guy did say he had cut the section out but obviously that is very doubtful all things considered. I think it was far more likely that he just filled and painted hence why the bubbles came back so quickly. The original bubbles were tiny and hardly noticable which hadn't changed in a couple of years but they annoyed me every time i saw them while washing or polishing!
Will know better what's underneath when the new shop strips back.
__________________

Glutton for punishment ---2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2021, 19:14   #7
Saga Lout
This is my second home
 
MG ZT and Rover 75,

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wigan
Posts: 3,104
Thanks: 2,480
Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default Barsteward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
The previous guy did say he had cut the section out but obviously that is very doubtful all things considered. I think it was far more likely that he just filled and painted hence why the bubbles came back so quickly. The original bubbles were tiny and hardly noticable which hadn't changed in a couple of years but they annoyed me every time i saw them while washing or polishing!
Will know better what's underneath when the new shop strips back.
If he's still trading you want to go back with the metal the bodyshop cuts out. I hate bodgers.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saga Lout For This Useful Post:
Old 15th December 2021, 14:31   #8
Rogue
I really should get out more.......
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich
Posts: 2,288
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 985 Times in 708 Posts
Default Back from the paint shop

Well it's back from the paintshop and he has done a stunning job on the whole car. The following pictures really don't do his work justice but it is fair to say it is as close to factory fresh as it has ever been. The whole nearside rear quarter has been redone, front and rear bumper and the rest of the car has been cut back and repolished. I didn't ask him to repaint the rear bumper but as he had the paint made up and had some over he did it as well and refused to take any extra in payment for it !!! To say i am pleased is an understatement


I have no hesitation in recomending him and if anyone in the Norfolk area that wants any work done would like his number please feel free to get in touch.








He has also taken in progress pics so as soon as he sends them over to me i will add to these
__________________

Glutton for punishment ---2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
Old 15th December 2021, 15:14   #9
Rogue
I really should get out more.......
 
Rogue's Avatar
 
75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich
Posts: 2,288
Thanks: 1,250
Thanked 985 Times in 708 Posts
Default




__________________

Glutton for punishment ---2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rogue For This Useful Post:
Old 15th December 2021, 15:19   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home
 
MG ZT and Rover 75,

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wigan
Posts: 3,104
Thanks: 2,480
Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default This guy!

Just what we need to see, someone that takes a pride in the job they do. To do extra for no extra cost should have him getting regular Rover work, it looks like he could fit the sill repairs too.
Top man, full marks.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Saga Lout For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd