Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2021, 11:59   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two
 
rab60bit's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wilmslow
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 371
Thanked 281 Times in 196 Posts
Default Panel replacement

I've just replaced a damaged O/S/F wing on my Contemporary saloon and believe the one I removed was the original. There are 4x 5mm(?) hex. head fasteners spaced along the engine bay top gutter, these fasten the top of the wing to the inner wheel arch panel (which forms the inside of the engine bay) and is a 'curved line' running towards the front of the vehicle/headlight aperture. Sandwiched between the wing and the inner arch top edge joint are two flat washers (only at the two intermediate fastener positions).
My question is - does anyone know if these are part of the wing/bonnet alignment process because the 'new' wing is now sitting a little proud of the bonnet level.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 12:55   #2
suzublu
This is my second home
 
suzublu's Avatar
 
rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seaton Carew
Posts: 25,957
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,813 Times in 4,455 Posts
Default

Have a word with Steve, he might've re-done the pics https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=129705
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 12:55   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 16,266
Thanks: 983
Thanked 5,601 Times in 3,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've just replaced a damaged O/S/F wing on my Contemporary saloon and believe the one I removed was the original. There are 4x 5mm(?) hex. head fasteners spaced along the engine bay top gutter, these fasten the top of the wing to the inner wheel arch panel (which forms the inside of the engine bay) and is a 'curved line' running towards the front of the vehicle/headlight aperture. Sandwiched between the wing and the inner arch top edge joint are two flat washers (only at the two intermediate fastener positions).
Quote:
My question is - does anyone know if these are part of the wing/bonnet alignment process because the 'new' wing is now sitting a little proud of the bonnet level.
Hi John.
I presume you are referring to the two washers in the photo 25 in the link below, did you check that the new wing did not have any debris on the under side of it.

Also did you add some silicone along the length of the inner wing before fitting as this aids sealing along the edge.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=299211
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2020 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 12:57   #4
suzublu
This is my second home
 
suzublu's Avatar
 
rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seaton Carew
Posts: 25,957
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,813 Times in 4,455 Posts
Default

Steve that link should replace your original in the How to forum as a sticky, perhaps have a word with Paul
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 13:02   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 16,266
Thanks: 983
Thanked 5,601 Times in 3,394 Posts
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Have a word with Steve, he might've re-done the pics https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=129705
Hi Ron.
Happy birthday by the way

Yes i could not add the photos to that thread as it's closed but if the live link is clicked it as the photos
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2020 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 17:20   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two
 
rab60bit's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wilmslow
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 371
Thanked 281 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi John.
I presume you are referring to the two washers in the photo 25 in the link below, did you check that the new wing did not have any debris on the under side of it.

Also did you add some silicone along the length of the inner wing before fitting as this aids sealing along the edge.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=299211
Steve, as usual you have trodden the path.
Yes it's exactly those two washers so it appears to be a normal factory practice; there was a comment (#2) by McAfee added to your original post that specifically mentioned the washers which were, in his case, colour coded - shims? The old joint was as clean as a whistle along the whole length and on re-assembly I didn't add any sealant because there didn't appear to be any in the first place, even the washers came away easily! I've kept the damaged wing so I'll have a look (I take it you meant sealant is to be run between the vertical joint formed by the 'back' of wing turned-down edge and the upturn edge of the wheel arch inner?).
I still have a slight issue to resolve at some point, the apparent difference in 'height' between bonnet edge (can be adjusted - not sure how/what to alter, the hinge or the sprung locking pin height) and the newly seated wing (which is more or less a fixed datum).

Last edited by rab60bit; 29th November 2021 at 17:29..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 08:52   #7
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two
 
Sonic ZS's Avatar
 
75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 1,222
Thanked 932 Times in 516 Posts
Default

I've replaced many wings on 75's over the years and there are always washers under the top rail. It's perfectly acceptable on a car like the 75/ZT to do this, to achieve perfect final alignment of the panel - the shell of a 75 is incredibly accurate, but there will always be tiny differences between individual cars and panels, which can be rectified by inserting or removing the washers which act like shims.

Hence, add or remove as required on your car to get the best fit against the bonnet edge, and compare to the other side to ensure they match.

Lastly, DO NOT add silicone to this joint !!
There is no reason to seal it as, unlike an old Metro, you have a plastic wheelarch liner which stops the mud & muck collecting. Silicone is for sealing around baths, not for fitting 75 wings.... If it were meant to be used anywhere on our cars, Rover would have done so during production and as I've never seen a rusty wing top on a 75, it certainly won't aid corrosion protection ! It'll just squeeze out around the edges and anyone looking under the bonnet will see the signs of an amateur bodge.

Equally, there is no sealer down the rear edge as the wing is simply bolted to the A-pillar, with a vertical piece of foam in a plastic bag pushed in from the wheel side once fitted, to fill the void. Be careful though, as these can trap moisture and are questionable against any noise saving they provide. So up to you whether you refit or not.

Good luck with the alignment
__________________

Last edited by Sonic ZS; 7th December 2021 at 09:01..
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 09:38   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 16,266
Thanks: 983
Thanked 5,601 Times in 3,394 Posts
Default

Hi John.
Sorry for the delay in answering as i have been busy, sorting out other amateur bodges.

There are some rubber stops which you can use to raise the bonnet edge to the wings, also you can adjust the bonnet strikers to help.

Hi Simon.
here you go take tension off the spring with mole grips.
1

Crack the nut with a 17mm open end spanner.
2

3

Then use your good flat blade screwdriver to adjust.

once you have found your height or that the bonnet holds down with out being to tight to pop back up, re-tighten the locking nut.
4

5

I will be taking these off in the next few day to clean and do the little flatting of the plate to aid getting the spanner on but i doubt once adjusted you will ever need to do them again.

Puzzle now solved
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2020 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arctic For This Useful Post:
Old 7th December 2021, 10:15   #9
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two
 
Sonic ZS's Avatar
 
75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Devon
Posts: 1,911
Thanks: 1,222
Thanked 932 Times in 516 Posts
Default

I hate to tell you this Arctic, but by using molegrips to compress the spring (as shown in your photos), you are actually increasing the torsional forces within the metal of the spring, not reducing it...

And if you look closely at each bonnet pin, you'll see a small slot in it's tip. This is so that you can insert a flat blade screwdriver to hold it steady whilst undoing the locknut, and then to turn the pin to make your height adjustment

But I'm sure you knew that really...

However, I'd be very surprised if the wing to bonnet height adjustment would ever need this sort of work, the bonnet hinge, shims and adjustable rubbers should give you all you need
__________________
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonic ZS For This Useful Post:
Old 7th December 2021, 11:14   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two
 
rab60bit's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wilmslow
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 371
Thanked 281 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
I've replaced many wings on 75's over the years and there are always washers under the top rail. It's perfectly acceptable on a car like the 75/ZT to do this, to achieve perfect final alignment of the panel - the shell of a 75 is incredibly accurate, but there will always be tiny differences between individual cars and panels, which can be rectified by inserting or removing the washers which act like shims.

Hence, add or remove as required on your car to get the best fit against the bonnet edge, and compare to the other side to ensure they match.

Lastly, DO NOT add silicone to this joint !!
There is no reason to seal it as, unlike an old Metro, you have a plastic wheelarch liner which stops the mud & muck collecting. Silicone is for sealing around baths, not for fitting 75 wings.... If it were meant to be used anywhere on our cars, Rover would have done so during production and as I've never seen a rusty wing top on a 75, it certainly won't aid corrosion protection ! It'll just squeeze out around the edges and anyone looking under the bonnet will see the signs of an amateur bodge.

Equally, there is no sealer down the rear edge as the wing is simply bolted to the A-pillar, with a vertical piece of foam in a plastic bag pushed in from the wheel side once fitted, to fill the void. Be careful though, as these can trap moisture and are questionable against any noise saving they provide. So up to you whether you refit or not.

Good luck with the alignment
The wing panel I removed appeared 'original' and undisturbed. I didn't find any foam/plastic sheath at the rear vertical joint. Mine is a facelift, do you think this might have been a PPD delete? I'll try the bonnet adjustment first to see if I can eliminate the slight difference in wing/bonnet line.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd