Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2021, 15:50   #1
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,162
Thanks: 103
Thanked 463 Times in 344 Posts
Default Omicron Variant?

Can anyone shed any light as to why the latest Covid-19 variant has been designated using the Greek letter omicron.

I understand so far WHO has designated four variants, alpha, beta, gamma and delta, so why jump to omicron, when there are several more letters in between to choose from?.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2021, 15:54   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules
 
Rev Jules's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer+

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Radcliffe on Trent
Posts: 10,213
Thanks: 6,966
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,953 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Can anyone shed any light as to why the latest Covid-19 variant has been designated using the Greek letter omicron.

I understand so far WHO has designated four variants, alpha, beta, gamma and delta, so why jump to omicron, when there are several more letters in between to choose from?.
That is because it is a Transformer like Optimus Prime, going to save the Earth from Aliens.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rev Jules For This Useful Post:
Old 30th November 2021, 10:02   #3
paulh260260
Still learning...
 
paulh260260's Avatar
 
Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 176
Thanks: 106
Thanked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Can anyone shed any light as to why the latest Covid-19 variant has been designated using the Greek letter omicron.

I understand so far WHO has designated four variants, alpha, beta, gamma and delta, so why jump to omicron, when there are several more letters in between to choose from?.
From inews.com....

"Why is the new strain called Omicron?

Omicron is the Greek letter “O”, and is the 15th letter in the Greek alphabet.

The reason such a late letter has been used is twofold. Firstly, there are other variants that, while not classified as variants of concern, still have been named. For instance, there are Lambda and Mu variants, we just do not really hear about them, as they are barely prevalent.

Secondly, the WHO decided to skip ahead and not name any variants “Nu” or “Xi”.

WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic said Nu is too similar to the world “new”, while Xi has not been used because it is a common last name.

He added that the WHO aims to avoid “causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups” when naming viruses."

So now we know!!
__________________
Still figuring out where this last nut goes...
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh260260 For This Useful Post:
Old 30th November 2021, 10:32   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in
 
edwardmk's Avatar
 
MG ZT 260, MG ZT-T 190 SE

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Redruth
Posts: 717
Thanks: 1,046
Thanked 303 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
That is because it is a Transformer like Optimus Prime, going to save the Earth from Aliens.

Rev.
We're expecting Ultron any time soon.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2021, 12:20   #5
wraymond
I will find or make a way
 
wraymond's Avatar
 
75 Auto 2.5 SE

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcliff on Sea
Posts: 4,490
Thanks: 388
Thanked 1,529 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Thanks Paul, can't resist:

'He added that the WHO aims to avoid “causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups” when naming viruses." '


Thanks for that. It seems the WHO are perhaps unaware of the unfortunate, and possibly the only, anagram of Omicron being ‘moronic’.
__________________
member no. 235
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wraymond For This Useful Post:
Old 30th November 2021, 13:29   #6
grivas
I really should get out more.......
 
grivas's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 2,162
Thanks: 103
Thanked 463 Times in 344 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh260260 View Post
From inews.com....

"Why is the new strain called Omicron?

Omicron is the Greek letter “O”, and is the 15th letter in the Greek alphabet.

The reason such a late letter has been used is twofold. Firstly, there are other variants that, while not classified as variants of concern, still have been named. For instance, there are Lambda and Mu variants, we just do not really hear about them, as they are barely prevalent.

Secondly, the WHO decided to skip ahead and not name any variants “Nu” or “Xi”.

WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic said Nu is too similar to the world “new”, while Xi has not been used because it is a common last name.

He added that the WHO aims to avoid “causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups” when naming viruses."

So now we know!!
Thanks for the information, good to know that 'prospective variants' have 'aleady' been allocated Greek letters however these have not been problematic enough to be made 'public' as it were.

Just by way of information I suppose. The Greeks have been telling the rest of the world, who use our language, that they have been mispronouncing it, including the letters of the alphabet ( a Greek word!) for centuries!. No Greek will say Nu as in new, or Xi as in pie, so had the world taken the trouble to learn the language from which almost all other languages, certainly European ones, are based, then organisations such as the WHO wouldn't have to play political correctness in case it offends, so the letter following delta is epsilon, the 5th letter of the Greek alphabet, no confusion there, not even a hint of offense.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grivas For This Useful Post:
Old 1st December 2021, 14:55   #7
wraymond
I will find or make a way
 
wraymond's Avatar
 
75 Auto 2.5 SE

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcliff on Sea
Posts: 4,490
Thanks: 388
Thanked 1,529 Times in 907 Posts
Arrow

Yesterday I watched Wee Burney saying there were 11 cases of Omicron in Scotland as she attempted to pacify the malcontents among the members of the Scottish Parliament. Thin ice.
__________________
member no. 235
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wraymond For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:53   #8
Torqueofthedevil
Regular poster
 
Blue 75 Connoisseur. Former ZT260 owner

Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Myddle
Posts: 73
Thanks: 196
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh260260 View Post
From inews.com....

"Why is the new strain called Omicron?

Omicron is the Greek letter “O”, and is the 15th letter in the Greek alphabet.
Pedant alert!

Omicron is one of two Greek letters for O, the other one being Omega. Likewise they have two letters for E, namely Epsilon and Eta
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torqueofthedevil For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:12   #9
Twisterboy
Avid contributor
 
Twisterboy's Avatar
 
75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 159
Thanks: 64
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Yesterday I watched Wee Burney saying there were 11 cases of Omicron in Scotland as she attempted to pacify the malcontents among the members of the Scottish Parliament. Thin ice.
Never heard her called that before I've heard her called Wee Jimmy Crankie...

We are back to working at home again now until more news on this variant is looked at, we had just started going back into the office once every fortnight and was due to go in today.
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:39   #10
wraymond
I will find or make a way
 
wraymond's Avatar
 
75 Auto 2.5 SE

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westcliff on Sea
Posts: 4,490
Thanks: 388
Thanked 1,529 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Despite having one or two forbears giving me a Hibernian connection, I admit I don't fully know the reason for the nickname. Alec Salmond perhaps?
__________________
member no. 235
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd