Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2021, 21:02   #1
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Advertising Inserts

I have had several run ins with my 96 year old mum because she keeps ordering c*ap from the inserts in her mags and circulars through her letterbox. They directly target the old, less mobile and vulnerable as they often can't get out to buy from shops or places where they can see what they are buying.

Her latest "purchase" was a small cupboard unit/magazine rack which was (you guessed it) self assembly. I was duly called in to do the honours. The collection of parts plus "instructions" were duly read, checked and started. A note within the packaging stated that no refunds would be given once the assembly had started. Unfortunately, you are not aware of badly prepared or ill fitting parts, mis-drilled holes and screws made of cheese until you start to assemble them.

Long story short, I had to lose almost three hours of my life to do a job that should take about twenty minutes at most. At the end of that, a wonky cupboard did not please me at all. I had to modify the slides on the drawers because they wouldn't (slide) and the laminate (wood coloured wallpaper) was starting to lift at the edges!

She has strict instructions not to order any more but I doubt that she will stop. She gets no end of "sales" calls (no doubt due to her sharing her number on their order forms.)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! These criminals need stopping.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:21   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Irrespective of what this company may state on a note within the packaging, you are still covered against faulty goods & or faulty manufacture.

These companies like to make up the rules as they go along & hope that people will just go along with it.

Personally, rather than modify it, I would've just contacted the company (or magazine that it came from), demanded they had their cheap trash collected & demanded a full refund.

In fact, as it sounds like the end result is not of satisfactory quality & not as advertised, I would still do just that.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 09:58   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Retail therapy online. For people living on their own and stuck indoors it gives them something to look forward to. Browsing online and buying is something to do. Calling a sales line is a chat with someone else. Someone coming to their door for a few seconds personal interaction for delivery, and a new package to open excitement. In the case of 'needing assembly' has the additional benefit of a loved one coming round to spend time with and assemble the stuff.

If you find your older relatives/parents doing this, then you may consider that what they really want (however difficult in current situation) is actually to see people they know much more and spend more time in the company of others.

Rather than viewing it as three hours of your life lost. Look at as 3 hours to spend with your mum. I don't think either of you really care if the assembly gets finished and you have to come back to continue with it another day (not too far in the future!)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 12th March 2021 at 10:07..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 10:11   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

Rather than viewing it as three hours of your life lost. Look at as 3 hours to spend with your mum. I don't think either of you really care if the assembly gets finished and you have to come back to continue with it another day (not too far in the future!)
You have no idea how much time I spend with mum!!! It's the rip-off factor that I'm upset about. Cheap tat sent half way around the world for some shyster to make money from vulnerable folks!!! There's no quality or conscience any more. The review sites are full of complaints but still these folks prosper!
Old 12th March 2021, 15:06   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
You have no idea how much time I spend with mum!!! It's the rip-off factor that I'm upset about. Cheap tat sent half way around the world for some shyster to make money from vulnerable folks!!! There's no quality or conscience any more. The review sites are full of complaints but still these folks prosper!

Absolutely, I don't know, and it wasn't a criticism of yourself: only an observation of what the elderly person on their own might want. There are many conflicting requirements of our time for all of us and sometimes we all feel 'spread thin' as it were. Couldn't agree more on the 'tat' aspect.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 16:00   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

thank goodness my mum did not find Amazon or Ebay

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 16:01   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Retail therapy online. For people living on their own and stuck indoors it gives them something to look forward to. Browsing online and buying is something to do. Calling a sales line is a chat with someone else. Someone coming to their door for a few seconds personal interaction for delivery, and a new package to open excitement. In the case of 'needing assembly' has the additional benefit of a loved one coming round to spend time with and assemble the stuff.

If you find your older relatives/parents doing this, then you may consider that what they really want (however difficult in current situation) is actually to see people they know much more and spend more time in the company of others.

This is one of the most thought provoking posts I have seen for long time. Great post

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote