Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2010, 16:11   #1
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Default clutch problem- only go into gear when engine off

So i've just had the clutch, slave etc all done and I believe it wasn't bled properly as I've just had to have the car recovered due to the clutch pedal getting stuck in the down position. I've got home and bled it, although it doesn't seem to bleed that much out the slave end, but it worked for about 10 mins and now the car will only go into gear with the engine off, you switch it off, put it into gear and then turn it on but the car is in gear even with the clutch down

Any ideas? Have I a duff slave?
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 19:21   #2
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Clutch problem

Hi Kieran. The slave may well be faulty, the only other thing it can be is the master cylinder, i can't think of anything else at the moment it can be. Here's hoping an expert will have a better idea.......but i hope it's not anything too expensive!!!
Graham1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 19:30   #3
Rammie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
So i've just had the clutch, slave etc all done and I believe it wasn't bled properly as I've just had to have the car recovered due to the clutch pedal getting stuck in the down position. I've got home and bled it, although it doesn't seem to bleed that much out the slave end, but it worked for about 10 mins and now the car will only go into gear with the engine off, you switch it off, put it into gear and then turn it on but the car is in gear even with the clutch down

Ditto on mine, new slave fitted 2 weeks later same problem

Cause, a leaking Master Cylinder!!! Only a slight leak where the pipework fits into the cyinder but enough to cause the same problem as before and the fluid was a mucky grey colour, horrible!
Remedy, Having a new Master Cylinder fitted.
Much better now and the pedal is much lighter too.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:31   #4
Departed
Retired

--

Could be a number of things, but if both master and slave were replaced then it should be OK. Assuming that one of the replacements is faulty, it could be either.

If both parts were replaced, there's no need to bleed. The system is prefilled and there's a snap fit quick connector. When I did mine it was plug and go. Worked fine without bleeding.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 06:28   #5
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:

i read on here that the manuals need all cylinders change when clutch is replaced ,did they do all yours, if so get them to pick it up and do the repair you have paid them for ...
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:26   #6
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

ok had a look and a bleed, but it's peeing out gap in the gearbox- so I've got a duff slave- so now I've got £300 in labour to spend due to a faulty supplied clutch slave... I've ordered another one from a different compnay although another freelander one. Just a though Has anyone fitted a freelander and had a problem with it or are they usually reliable?
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:43   #7
tazman3
Posted a thing or two

Mercedes C200

Quote:
ok had a look and a bleed, but it's peeing out gap in the gearbox- so I've got a duff slave- so now I've got £300 in labour to spend due to a faulty supplied clutch slave... I've ordered another one from a different compnay although another freelander one. Just a though Has anyone fitted a freelander and had a problem with it or are they usually reliable?
Kieran have a look at T-CUT's thread below about the freelander slave...apparently they are more robust...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=55377

Martin
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 15:26   #8
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Just got the car back! It works! This time on the second freelander clutch slave, let's hope this one works for more than 200 miles...

Aparently when it comes to fitting a freelander clutch you have to cable tie the master hyrd hose and clutch slave pipe together as it's a bit too long.

Now I wonder if my mate did this with the other one and would that be the case of it failing after 200 miles.

And I even got a few things down with the testbook-
Bathrobe locking on
Auto lock on
Lazy lock / vent
Headlamp / number plate delay on.

As I hadn't driven for over a week I felt I was going to stall it- but it feels so good to get the car back working and I was thinking I've probably been a pain to a few people on here but hope you forgive me!
Old 10th March 2010, 16:17   #9
tazman3
Posted a thing or two

Mercedes C200

Glad to hear you got the car back working mate...

Martin
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 16:47   #10
Rammie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Glad to hear you got the car back working mate...

Martin

Glad to here it's back.