Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2016, 12:54   #21
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Personally I couldn't be bothered with brake pad sensors. I've isolated them on both the 75 and the XF

It's a simple job just to cut the leads short of the plug and solder the two wires together then insulating the bare end with tape.

I check my brakes regularly so don't need a nuisance low pad warning light coming on when in the case of my Jaguar there was still more than 50% of the pads remaining.

It's one warning light I don't like but would prefer a warning light for seat belts which the 75 doesn't have as standard unless it's a Japanese spec car.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 13:01   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Indeed, I'm guessing the 2 wires for the front sensor will be present beneath the air con pipes. Soldering a plug onto them so a new sensor can be fitted won't be easy. A 'new' plug can be obtained easy enough from a scrappy. Other posts in this thread have got me doubting what I always thought, the brake pad wear sensors are both on the drivers side, front and rear, aren't they?
That is correct, just one sensor at the front, one single sensor at the rear. Each covers just one pad of the wheel pair of pads.

The 'sensor' is actually nothing more than a simple loop of wire, set in the pad, with the two sensors/ pads on the car wired in series. So both loops need to be continuous, undamaged to prevent the warning light from coming on. The plugs for ABS and pad wear are a little awkward to get at, at the front, but they can be unclipped from the bracket to improve access. I would not expect the entire pad wear plug to have been ripped out, just the part under the wing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 14:32   #23
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Ah I dont care much for the wear pad sensor either but the light on the dash is a real annoyance! It seems that the entire wire is gone, Im hoping the ends of it are still visible in the loom where the ABS goes in, if its been pulled out way into the loom then I may well me stuffed!
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 11:40   #24
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

great news, for anyone reading this!

Had the chance at the weekend to get under the car and found the wires hanging far down the side of the engine, sourced a connector and soldered it on, electric taped it up and put the new brake wear sensor on and its all working as it should
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 20:17   #25
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

I noticed today that the OSR break wear sensor cable on the tourer was dangling. Still attached at both ends, just hanging in a vulnerable loop. Didn't have a chance to put it up on ramps, but could lie under with a torch. I couldn't see where the cable was supposed to route - can anyone help with a photo please? It was looping down under the fuel cooler and then disappears through a grommet into the OSR wing floor.

I temporarily cable-tied the black connector to the fuel cooler frame to lift the free cable away from potential snagging.

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:55   #26
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post
I noticed today that the OSR break wear sensor cable on the tourer was dangling. Still attached at both ends, just hanging in a vulnerable loop. Didn't have a chance to put it up on ramps, but could lie under with a torch. I couldn't see where the cable was supposed to route - can anyone help with a photo please? It was looping down under the fuel cooler and then disappears through a grommet into the OSR wing floor.

I temporarily cable-tied the black connector to the fuel cooler frame to lift the free cable away from potential snagging.
the cable clips under the loop of the bleed nipple cover then runs back behind the caliper to a clip (IIRC) the connector clips into a black plastic clip under the rear wheel arch (well on the saloon anyway)

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:42   #27
RoverDan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Tourer, Limo

Thanks - looks like I'll need to get it into the shed and the wheel off to do a proper job, probably 2 minutes with the right access!

CDT
auto Club Saloon
CDT
auto Connoisseur SE Tourer
CDT
auto Connoisseur MacNeillie Limousine
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:03   #28
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5tart View Post
the cable clips under the loop of the bleed nipple cover then runs back behind the caliper to a clip (IIRC) the connector clips into a black plastic clip under the rear wheel arch (well on the saloon anyway)
Here you go guys have fun when I purchased my tourer way back the sensor was tied up to the fuel cooler I had to replace it, easy job once you see where it lives
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (134.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 3330.jpg (126.9 KB, 65 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:18   #29
75er
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer cdti

My brake warning light is on, front drivers side low brake warning cable is working fine, but there is no sign of a brake warning cable to either of the rear wheels. Reading through this thread some say the rear warning cable is on the drivers side rear wheel, other posts suggest its on the passengers side rear wheel, can someone say which is correct please? Also where is the location of the connector on the car / loom side for the end for the rear brake warning cable once the other end is plugged into the rear brake pads? Any help would be appreciated.
75er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:22   #30
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its on the same side as the front sensor, look underneath the car at the back of the drivers side wheel arch liner, there is a clip on the inside of the liner that is supposed to hold the plug in place, the wire routes upwards from that clip.