Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2020, 11:28   #1
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Default Less wild life?

I know a lot has been said about us noticing our wildlife more this year due to the virus. However yesterday my son and I were talking about how very many fewer moths, butterflies, bees, wasps, sparrows, but more finches, and even the humble house fly we had seen this year. Last year we were inundated with wasps, this year hardly any, including the more docile solitary breeds. We have had large numbers of Bees, Honey and bumble buzzing around in past years, this year noticeable by how few.

The worst loss has been the massive reduction in bats. We have had a colony of bats coming to roost for years but this year they have failed to arrive. I used to complain about the droppings they left on the cars as the flew out every evening, now nothing. Last year I went out to count them leaving and they were already in full flow so missed the start, but still counted over 300 before I gave up after they stopped for a while and then the second wave departed. We see the odd one flying around hunting but this spectacle is sorely missed.

We can only surmise that wherever they winter the whole colony has been destroyed, deliberately or by disease.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 11:56   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

We have plenty of bats down here in Norfolk, we have also seen an increase in dragonflies this summer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st September 2020, 13:26   #3
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

It would seem there are wide variations across the country.
We had a lot of wasps early doors, lots of bees & butterflies and large flocks of sparrows - together with hordes of wood pigeons (aka tree rats!).
The birds have now reduced their presence - wonder if they're heading South early this year?

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 20:59   #4
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Having spent las week walking round the lake district we were amazed at how little wildlife we saw. One red squirrel, some cormorants on the lakes and one buzzard. Oh, and a huge ants nest...
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:20   #5
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

We have Red Kites that fly over from Harewood House where they are being reintroduced, I was told that these birds prefer carrion. They have not had any effect on the Wood Pigeons or Magpies. Magpies did drive out the Crows but they are now returning. The large birds seem unaffected as do the finches who have increased and Robbins that have been absent for years appear to be coming back.

May be as one breed reduces others will take their place,
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote