Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th September 2020, 16:20   #21
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Just to pick up on a point raised earlier.
I have the protect Scotland track and trace app. No noticeable difference in my battery life.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2020, 17:51   #22
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

This is just a tiny example of the abu.. no, call it what it is, corruption of the system from within, of the whole principle of what is proposed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54297962

This is the tip of the proverbial iceberg, so much for indiscriminate acceptance of 'official 'advice'. Naivete extremis.
Old 25th September 2020, 19:04   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
This is just a tiny example of the abu.. no, call it what it is, corruption of the system from within, of the whole principle of what is proposed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-54297962

This is the tip of the proverbial iceberg, so much for indiscriminate acceptance of 'official 'advice'. Naivete extremis.
this has nothing to do with the track and trace though. This sort of abuse of the data has gone on for decades. A previous company I worked for, in the days of the Nokia 3310, ie pre smart technology, a colleague was fired for calling a lady customer up and asking her out for dinner. The colleague misread the signals the woman gave. She admitted to flirting a little in the hope of discount, and of course he flirted a little to get the sale (I am not blaming the woman by the way - just stating the facts as I was told them). But the point is, this track and trace is nothing new, nor is its abuse - think about it, you buy a sofa, washing machine etc. The shop will take some details for delivery, you entrust those details in the belief that they will not be abused. GDPR means these details must be used for only specific purposes, and must be removed after a period of time. But the human element leaves it for abuse.

I do appreciate what you are trying to say, and to a certain extent I agree, for my personal privacy more than anything else -as I said before, I am anti social and simply do not want to talk to a stranger trying to sell me something. But playing devil's advocate, I do not see any difference to how 'things' used to be.

Even the sale of data, I struggle with an argument behind it (for marketing purposes that is). A company has foresight to purchase said data, from a company who had the foresight to sell said data, to maximise their profits in a cut throat world. It is capitalism at its finest. I dont agree with it, but I cannot help but admire that ingenuity. (and I will still tick the do not contact me box lol).

Be warned though, I 'chased' a cold caller at my door last week, who wanted to 'help' me get a better deal for my broadband. He said he worked for some kind of price comparison company (seemed wrong, as price comparison, surely is an online thing lol). So it is going backwards to the old days, where people called at your door to sell things - Hawkers are back.

I still do not see any practical issue with the big brother style of life we are in and heading further towards. I do have an issue with its principle though. Law and order can be monitored, with crimes being detected early (a DNA database would surely be a fantastic idea to cut down on crime). Then police would not come in for criticism for not being able to maintain a conviction, or not even being able to question anyone. Any abuse of the materials/data, though, would have to be met with serious consequence and punishment - that would take time of course for that message to filter through to the crims.

EDIT: regarding the young lady from the BBC story. With her name and location mentioned in the story, and modern lives online, I would bet she can be found easily on social media - of course she could block the person if they were unwanted approaches (she could send her father/brother around or obtain a restraining order in real life in the past). At this point, you have to ask the question, how much of our lives do we willingly lay bare, even without realising it. I do not condone what happened to her, I find it abhorrent, and those involved deserved what they got, as it does amount, in my mind to stalking.

With the social media 'stalking', if you go back 40 years, and met an attractive lady in the bar. Just briefly, just before she and her friends unexpectedly leave to go elsewhere. The following week, you go back to the bar in the hope of seeing her again, to speak more to her, and arrange a date etc. Social media, online dating are the new way of life for the younger generation (I have been told), you dont chat someone up at a bar anymore. Ditto kids playing with their computer games in their bedrooms, never seeing each other in the flesh. 40 years ago, we kicked a ball about, rode bikes, jumping over each other with home made ramps etc. Perhaps this is the new way of life, which is accelerating faster than we able or willing to accept it.

Or is it just that we are seeing more of it, as it is broadcast more freely than in the past. Stalking has always gone on, we just didnt get to hear of it, a newspapers only had so many reporters or lines, TV news only having a short slot on the air etc. Credit card fraud, I am sure existed in the 70's too. Think of the offers on the back of a sunday magazine, with the place to enter your card details (in full!). The amount of information we have access to, (silly and not so silly) I think has a massive effect on how we perceive real life now. But ultimately, how much different was it before?

---------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Just to pick up on a point raised earlier.
I have the protect Scotland track and trace app. No noticeable difference in my battery life.
Out of curiosity, did you previously use bluetooth, or have location services active on your phone? When I have bluetooth active on my phone, I have to charge it daily, even if it is not used (it will leave less than 30%). I can get two full days from it if it is switched off with my normal use, and still have 20%.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 25th September 2020 at 19:25..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 06:19   #24
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Couldn’t really be bothered reading all the comments but did laugh at the app tracking your every move for a reason not to do it what do you think location services on your phone is already doing :duh. If it saves just one life it’s worth it
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 07:02   #25
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
--------------------------------------------------

Out of curiosity, did you previously use bluetooth, or have location services active on your phone? When I have bluetooth active on my phone, I have to charge it daily, even if it is not used (it will leave less than 30%). I can get two full days from it if it is switched off with my normal use, and still have 20%.
I've always got my Bluetooth and WiFi on. As I say no noticeable change in performance or endurance
Old 26th September 2020, 07:06   #26
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Couldn’t really be bothered reading all the comments but did laugh at the app tracking your every move for a reason not to do it what do you think location services on your phone is already doing :duh. If it saves just one life it’s worth it
Hit. Nail. Head.
Old 26th September 2020, 07:50   #27
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Hit. Nail. Head.
I don't have any location services enabled on mm telephone, and turn it on only when I need to make an outgoing call...............my battery life is definitely not affected by increased bluetooth useage !!!

It's not any altruistic intent I object to, it is the way it is the way it is marketed as such.

The reality is quite different, yet another data harvesting vehicle is not required, I have replaced my telephone with a Nokia 6310i, as it does what I want, make and receive telephone calls.

We in the UK are already the most surveilled in the world, there is no need to add to that a programme encouraging further descent into increased segregation of the activities you are permitted to do, and with whom.

It will not prevent the spread of coronavirus successfully, as to make the results in any way meaningful, there needs to be a greater than 60% uptake across the board.......so until it is mandated that you are tracked in such a way, and the equipment provided to do so, this will not happen.

My nail has a larger head, and easier to see
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 08:14   #28
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default My phone...

I have a £5.50 Samsung E2121, it's not a smartphone and it's my third one as I'm rough on stuff like this. It's got many functions and battery life is over a week, I can even use it to talk to people.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2020, 10:55   #29
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

I'm glad I don't live in in the constant state of fear and mistrust that others do. Personally Im more than happy to have and use the app. If that in some small way helps someone like you not getting this horrible illness then great. I would have thought that intention was part of being a responsible human being

Anyway, go on yersel

Last edited by Simondi; 26th September 2020 at 12:07..
Old 26th September 2020, 11:25   #30
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Many years ago in the early days of mobile phones I had cause to dial 999 to report a case of arson, I gave no other information other than to request being connected to the police, my call was answered by an officer who called me by name, ever since that happened over 30 years ago I have had no doubt that any one of us who owns a mobile phone or uses the internet has our every move and contact known to one or more government run facilities so why worry about one more app..
Edit.. I even get an email every month from Garmin showing me every place that I have driven to and list's any new locations so the Sat Nav is spying as well !!

Last edited by Ian G; 26th September 2020 at 11:36..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote