Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2007, 20:28   #1
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Default AOL Broadband or Tiscali Broadband?

Hi

My neighbours have recently bought a new computer. I signed them up to tiscali as I have never really had any problems and for the price the service isn't that bad. But since they went round a friend's house they now prefer AOL and say it to be 'easier to use'.

I would like anybodys views on this. Who is best/worst Tiscali or AOL? And any experiences you have had with either?

I have to be fair Tiscali's support is VERY VERY much improved they almost instantly answer their phones now!!

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 20:51   #2
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

well, AOL does seem to suit family's and non technical types, but it has just been taken over by the carphone warehouse, so it will be interesting to see what happens. to be honest, I would stick with tiscalli.
Old 20th January 2007, 21:24   #3
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi Tom,
I run AOL and have done for several years. Like your friends. I was new to pc's and went for it because of its ease of use. The one disadvantage which seems very common is that it will not allow you to post messages on some forums and I know of lots of people who have ditched it because of this.

I get around it by minimising AOL and launching IE and working with that, which is how i post on all forums, I've been with them for five years now and found it very reliable and good value for money. I'm running version 9 at the moment. HTH
Old 20th January 2007, 21:48   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Tiscali is doing quite well in the reviews (Virgin came out best & only 1 month contract notice no stupid 12-36 month tie ins) Talk Talk getting awful feedback so AOL is sure to go downhill now CarPhone warehouse has got it. (UK only AOL) The "Figures" stated showed AOL losing more members than gaining new ones (Dec 06).
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 21:55   #5
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Tiscali is doing quite well in the reviews (Virgin came out best & only 1 month contract notice no stupid 12-36 month tie ins) Talk Talk getting awful feedback so AOL is sure to go downhill now CarPhone warehouse has got it. (UK only AOL) The "Figures" stated showed AOL losing more members than gaining new ones (Dec 06).
I was very slightly thinking about changing to AOL but after reading your post John there is no chance. Well other peoples as well but yours has just told me NO.

Tiscali used to take on average 5 mins to answer the phone now its like 10 secs so its brilliant!! Even if they are all foreign call centres I can live with that....who aint now?

Regards
Tom
Old 20th January 2007, 22:12   #6
JohnDotCom

Dont get me wrong all different suppliers have their Good & Bad points I was just passing on results duplicated in Computer Mags & Computer Weekly, AOL built its original reputation on Family Friendly but has so many other gremlins already mentioned, most Internet Viewing can be censored now without having to have the restrictions of AOL.
Old 20th January 2007, 22:22   #7
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Dont get me wrong all different suppliers have their Good & Bad points I was just passing on results duplicated in Computer Mags & Computer Weekly, AOL built its original reputation on Family Friendly but has so many other gremlins already mentioned, most Internet Viewing can be censored now without having to have the restrictions of AOL.
Ok but thanks for the info John. By the time they release the line and then AOL activated it I would be without broadband for about a month so it isn't worth it. And I have always said to myself that I would never go with AOL so I don't know what got me thinking about possible moving to them. Perhaps it was the free wireless router offer.

Regards
Tom
Old 20th January 2007, 22:38   #8
JohnDotCom

Have just checked their terms and Conditions and some are Awful. You also get billed 12 months service if you change in that time even if they have not offered a proper service! Who writes these things? Gaming not compatible with XBox & PlayStation (Tiscali is) both have National call Rate service (AOL used to be free) You have to pay extra for Anti Virus (Free with Tiscali) Satisfaction with AOL Customers 70% Tiscali 80% Top Virgin 85%. but Talk Talk and Talk Talk BroadBand new owners of AOL (don't know the difference) hold bottom 2 positions in all surveys Tiscali in top 3. Tiscali if you transfer online give you discount on 1st 3 months from £9.99 then £14.99 unlimited downloads. Increases with increase in speed but check your area very few people can get 8mb or more and have to be close to exchange.

Comments posted are personnal except where taken from Polls.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 20th January 2007 at 22:41..
Old 20th January 2007, 23:54   #9
lildevil
Avid contributor

Quote:
Have just checked their terms and Conditions and some are Awful. You also get billed 12 months service if you change in that time even if they have not offered a proper service! Who writes these things? Gaming not compatible with XBox & PlayStation (Tiscali is) both have National call Rate service (AOL used to be free) You have to pay extra for Anti Virus (Free with Tiscali) Satisfaction with AOL Customers 70% Tiscali 80% Top Virgin 85%. but Talk Talk and Talk Talk BroadBand new owners of AOL (don't know the difference) hold bottom 2 positions in all surveys Tiscali in top 3. Tiscali if you transfer online give you discount on 1st 3 months from £9.99 then £14.99 unlimited downloads. Increases with increase in speed but check your area very few people can get 8mb or more and have to be close to exchange.

Comments posted are personnal except where taken from Polls.
Thanks John. That is very interesting to read as everybody I know says that Tiscali is absolute NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- but as you have proved that isn't the case because these surveys are putting them in the top 3. I have to say that Tiscali has improved so, so much over the past couple of years it is unbelieveable. From wating anything from 5 - 10 mins for someone to answer the phone now down to about 10 secs what a difference. The speed has improved, the tiscali site has improved I cant say anything has got worst but just got better since I first signed up.

Regards
Tom
Old 21st January 2007, 13:00   #10
Nick Hoare
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 Conn SE Auto (54)

Thumbs up Tiscali

I have been with Tiscali from the very start and have never had any problems with them. I can't comment on their customer support as I have never had reason to contact them.