Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th February 2015, 16:14   #1
good_mojo
Loves to post

Facelift Rover 75 Classic CDT auto and Connoisseur SE 1.8T

Default Which headlamp bulbs for 2004 cdt classic?

Hi

I have a 2004 CDT classic (facelift). The outer passenger side headlamp bulb is not working and I have a bulb warning light on the dash. It appears to be dipped beam that is affected.

As I have no bulbs to hand, I thought I would ask some questions here before attempting a fix.

I've found this fitting guide so I’m hoping there will be no dramas when it comes to putting the bulbs in.

My headlamp looks like this

There is this information sticker on the side.

I assume from the info sticker that I need H7 and H9 bulbs. Which has blown? I will buy some H7 and H9 bulbs so that I have spares. What wattage, etc. do I need? What size is the little bulb below the main beam?

I rarely get to use main beam, as there is so much oncoming traffic. Dipped beam has always seemed a bit feeble. Is there any quick fix to get brighter lights? I assume the bulbs I have are single filament. Is it possible to put dual filament blub in so that I can have quad dip beams? In days of yore, on old cars you could boost the light output by adding relays to stop the voltage drop through the switch reducing power. Are these headlamps already wired with relays?

I thought I would fit Osram Nightbreaker bulbs as I’ve used their H4 bulbs in another vehicle and they were better than whatever dubious brand that was in there before...

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks,
Scott
good_mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 16:18   #2
good_mojo
Loves to post

Default little bulb

The little bulb must be a W5W bulb as that is on the sticker. I didn't recognise the code at first.

I don't know why the images are not showing in my original message. The URLs are correct...
Old 7th February 2015, 16:51   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Dipped beam bulbs are H7 Scott

Sidelight bulbs are 501 10mm capless wedge

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 16:54   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Scott - You need H7 bulbs - they fit the outer (dipped beam) lamps. The standard bulbs on the classic are a bit feeble- I put Osram Night Breaker H7s on my 2005 CDTi classic and the dipped beam is much better now. The bulbs are changed by turning the wheels in the appropriate direction so you can access the rubber 'access panel' in the wheel arch iiner, located behind the outer lamps - turn the 'dial' on the bottom of these panels to unlock and remove. Pull off the bulb wiring connector, then you have to release the spring clips holding the bulb in place- a bit fiddly, and make sure you do not lose the clips. I did not have too much trouble doing mine, but I know some folks on here had trouble getting the spring clips back into place. I have fairly long skinny fingers, which may help !

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 17:00   #5
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

I have fitted Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs to mine, the light is a'lot better but they do not seem to last very long. Have had 2 blow within 12 month's.
Going to try Philips X-Treme bulbs next time one goes.....

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:08   #6
good_mojo
Loves to post

Default bulbs

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Brian, I only knew 501s as jeans so your info opens up my search parameters. I would like to carry a full spare set of bulbs.

I've ordered some Osram Nightbreaker unlimited H7 bulbs from Amazon. £13.25 for a pair, with free delivery, seemed reasonable compared with prices elsewhere.

So that I don't get pulled over by the cops, I'll rob a bulb from my spares car and fit it tomorrow then fit the new bulbs when they arrive.

I'm still interested to know if there are any mods to the standard lighting setup that would be worthwhile.

cheers,
Scott
Old 7th February 2015, 18:12   #7
good_mojo
Loves to post

Default let me know how they compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslc View Post
I have fitted Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs to mine, the light is a'lot better but they do not seem to last very long. Have had 2 blow within 12 month's.
Going to try Philips X-Treme bulbs next time one goes.....
I'm looking forward to better night vision with the Osrams but the downside does seem to be a shorter life. I will be interested to know how you get on with the Philips, so if you remember, post up a message.

Cheerio,
Scott
Old 7th February 2015, 18:12   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_mojo View Post
Thanks to all who have replied so far. Brian, I only knew 501s as jeans so your info opens up my search parameters. I would like to carry a full spare set of bulbs.

I've ordered some Osram Nightbreaker unlimited H7 bulbs from Amazon. £13.25 for a pair, with free delivery, seemed reasonable compared with prices elsewhere.

So that I don't get pulled over by the cops, I'll rob a bulb from my spares car and fit it tomorrow then fit the new bulbs when they arrive.

I'm still interested to know if there are any mods to the standard lighting setup that would be worthwhile.

cheers,
Scott
Hi Scott, fit a pair of these in the sidelights, luvverly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-CAR-BU...item4187bc954e
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 18:42   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_mojo View Post
I've found this fitting guide so I’m hoping there will be no dramas when it comes to putting the bulbs in.
There will certainly be a drama if you follow the guide you mention. It's for the Mk1 lamps.
But there shouldn't be if you understand exactly what's going on in the lamps while you manipulate by feel. This photo explains how the facelift bulbs are fitted. Basically, they need a quarter turn more or less. Anticlockwise to release, clockwise to install.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th February 2015 at 18:44..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 19:27   #10
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

T-cut

My car is a 2005 facelift, but has the spring clip bulb holders like on the Mk1 - very strange !

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote