Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2017, 07:14   #11
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Bendrick, what was going on with your windows and sunroof ? Does this happen on our cars ?
Pete
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 16:06   #12
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Apparently so. It's pretty worrying

I had a previous Rover 75 for three years with no problem of this description ( didn't have a sunroof on that one) and had no idea that an electrical or water ingress problem could cause something as bizarre as this to happen.

Jules tells me that it can be caused by faults on sat nav unit, radio tuner in the boot tyre well ( If they get wet, both now disconnected) water ingress by glove compartment onto fuse box relays and BCU or possible fault with BCU anyway. ( at least thats what I think that he said from memory).

It's really quite a downer as apart from the nightmare for several hours on Sunday in the rain trying to make the car weather and thief secure I presently have a car which realistically I can't be sure that if I take it anywhere I won't return to a rain soaked mess with the sunroof and all windows down plus the fact that in such a scenario I have no security and that a passing thief has acess to the car and boot contents.

Having finally got the sunroof and windows to stay up without immediately opening again I quickly disconnected the battery overnight to stop them opening again in the rain ( I have no garage)

Monday I reconnected the battery and the sunroof and windows and they have operated normally however having repaired nothing I am still at the mercy of this happening again at any time which as you can imagine is a nightmare.

Had a look on the search box on this forum and can only see a very old thread from years ago where someone has had the same problem and rather chillingly mentioned that it only happens every now and again. Well thats no good is it?

The replys at the time tended to claim that it was probably the BCU.

I'm waiting for Jules in Colwyn Bay to give me a slot where he can spend a day or so going over the electrics with his T4 but it's fair to say that I'm a touch cheesed off having only just purchased the car and have already discovered that the A/C system described as ice cold is totally shot, the two speed fan knackered and the FBH advertised as working works but is generating more smoke than Drax power station.

I'm a little disappointed...... and very apprehensive about the future implications of an electrical problem causing the sunroof and window self opening.

Last edited by bendrick; 19th December 2017 at 19:06..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 11:28   #13
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Halfords size Large, fits perfect, 3 straps, not cheap but I like it
Hi Ronnie

Do you have a link for that cover?
The old Silver Machine isn't being used as much and would benefit from a cover I feel
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 11:31   #14
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Hi Ronnie

Do you have a link for that cover?
The old Silver Machine isn't being used as much and would benefit from a cover I feel
Halfords Simon http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...ar-cover-large
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 11:33   #15
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Deleted just seen that link had just been posted the same time that I did

I agonised over whether to get L or XL and eventually chose the XL size as I thought that it might be a touch easier to put on without struggling but was a little concerned that it might be too loose.

It turned that it's perfect for my saloon, covers both ends fine and allows the elasticated ends to slip right under the bumpers to keep the cover tight on whilst covering virtually all the wheels as well. The three straps, back, middle, front that go under the car ensure along with the elasticated ends that wind going underneath won't dislodge the cover.

£5 difference between L and XL

Last edited by bendrick; 20th December 2017 at 11:46..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 11:51   #16
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Fill a pair of tights with cat litter and leave in your car - this will help absorb excess moisture.

Does this work?
Old 21st December 2017, 15:47   #17
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Just bought an 'upper-car' cover from Lidl's for £4.99. They sell three sizes, small, large and estate and list it as suitable for such cars a BMW 3 tourer and Opel Vectra estate...and Ford Scorpio and Sierra !!!

As I mostly use my ZTT once or twice a week at this time of year I quite like the idea of keeping the worst off but will watch closely for any signs of paint damage and will certainly popping it off when there's a wind blowing.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 20:35   #18
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendriver View Post
Fill a pair of tights with cat litter and leave in your car - this will help absorb excess moisture.

Does this work?
I tried this and the car smelt awfull! should I be using the new stuff?

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote