Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2019, 21:24   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default can you cut down on plastic

I have just been watching the BBC programme War On Plastic.

Really scary stuff. There are many pollutants around, some we know about, some we (I) don't.
Washing clothes often releases small amounts of plastic from our clothes.

Wet wipes, use them? They are 80+% plastic, I never knew.

I'm not sure where the fault lies, manufacturers, retails or us the consumer. All of the above perhaps but who can make the greatest change and who has the greatest influence to force change?

With so many consumers but so few retailers, they probably have the greatest influence. If the major retailers got together gave manufacturers due warning that they were going to stop selling a product due to the amount of plastic in the product perhaps a change could be forced. With so many consumers there are too many that would not stop buying a product I don't feel it would have such a impact.

Perhaps the manufacturer that is first to go Green could steal the advantage from the others.

Whilst I may get ridiculed for this I am going to ask you to see what you can do to reduce the amount of plastic you buy.

Me, I'm going to chat to the wife about our shopping to see what we can do.

please try not to be negative should you comment.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 21:35   #2
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I try, but it's just everywhere!
Morrisons did paper bags for the fruit and vegetables for a while, no idea what happened to that idea, lasted about a week here
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 21:48   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I think a lot of us are trying but it is a very small drop in a very large ocean when you see what the rest of the world is doing or should I say are not doing.

Some friends arrived from Holland a few weeks ago and they had not heard anything about the plastic problem.

When you see how the US, India and other countries are going I do feel we are wasting out time.

Today I heard the amount of oxygen in the sea is decreasing and this will have an effect on the amount of fish and potentially we wont have fish to eat in another 30 years.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 23:03   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I am a packaging consultant...

You will NEVER get rid of plastic packaging...

You can use starch based compostables and mono materials that can be recycled more easily but less than 0.2% of waste is actually recycled in the TWO plants in the UK which can actually do it fully with polymers.

The so called compostables are only commercially compostable and this required 140F plus for several weeks.

They are not domestically compostable.

The best way to dispose of this material is to use high efficiency, low emission incineration and turn the calories in the materials in to usable electricity and reduce fossil fuel use.
Old 18th June 2019, 05:15   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post

You can use starch based compostables and mono materials that can be recycled more easily but less than 0.2% of waste is actually recycled in the TWO plants in the UK which can actually do it fully with polymers.

The so called compostables are only commercially compostable and this required 140F plus for several weeks.

The best way to dispose of this material is to use high efficiency, low emission incineration and turn the calories in the materials in to usable electricity and reduce fossil fuel use.
Interesting Klarzy - I too believe that efficient incineration for energy generation is the correct way to go - but instead the green muppets (I’m not supposed to use the term ‘green Taliban’ anymore- it upsets the overly sensitive) convinced us all that recycling was the way to go and so we shipped all our plastic cr@p to third world countries who we paid to take it and they dumped it all in the oceans for us.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 07:15   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

As said plastic is used virtually everywhere. I don't think it's possible to eradicate it.

The way I see it is that we all have to act a wee bit more responsibly. Re use containers, take our own shopping bags ( charging for plastic bags was a fantastic idea) and so on.
I do wish that manufacturers would reduce the amount of packaging though.

Very surprised that you watched the BBC documentary though I would have thought that you would be put off by its inherent lefty, green agenda bias
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 07:55   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post

Very surprised that you watched the BBC documentary though I would have thought that you would be put off by its inherent lefty, green agenda bias
And I’m not surprised at the height of the pedestal you place your backside on when you show your prejudice in the judgement of others. One day things will slip and you will need the help of a good (moral) Proctologist.

The issue is the Left/Greens run around like frightened chickens yelling at everyone that the sky is falling and “something must be done”

The result of such knee jerk reactions is our urban streets polluted with horrendous levels of diesel particulates and NOX’s, our “recycled” plastic being washed out to sea via a third party country so the Lefty Greens fool themselves by their righteous actions - and as a third example - the deforestation of huge areas to grow palm oil so we can run our cars on bio-fuel.

Again this may give the Lefty Greenies a nice warm glow that “something is being done” but I very much doubt that the Orangutan populations of the world who continue to lose their unique habitats think this “something” is the right thing.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 07:58   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

We may not be able to eradicate it but we can surly cut down on its usage.
Milk in plastic bottles, what about glass?
Plastic bags what about paper?

I don't know how to put it right but in this case I now see what is wrong.
I emailed my wife last night ( he is away at the moment) s asking that she no longer
buys wet wipes, looking in the shower I'll ask for no more shower gel.

Just thinking about the contents of the shelves in a super market where body products are, my goodness its a lot of plastic

We can but try

macafee2
Old 18th June 2019, 07:59   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Interesting Klarzy - I too believe that efficient incineration for energy generation is the correct way to go - but instead the green muppets (I’m not supposed to use the term ‘green Taliban’ anymore- it upsets the overly sensitive) convinced us all that recycling was the way to go and so we shipped all our plastic cr@p to third world countries who we paid to take it and they dumped it all in the oceans for us.
ya the shipping abroad for them to pollute was something else.

macafee2
Old 18th June 2019, 08:03   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post

You may be best placed her to give sound advice on what can be done.
Is paper bags and glass bottles a step in the right direction?
We can and must do better.

macafee2