Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th August 2019, 07:22   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default BMW Travel & Comfort System - As Fitted to the Rover 75

BMW TRAVEL & COMFORT SYSTEM
As fitted to the Rover 75

Spend a few hours with a Skinny Caramel Latte and a slice of Victoria sponge trawling through the online accessory catalogues of some of the most prestigious car marques these days and you will find variations on the 'click and go' system as offered on Jaguar's XE/XF and F pace ranges. These are interior accessories based around a plastic headrest base unit which nestles between the metal poles of the driver and passenger headrests, offering a range of options to enhance the functionality and carrying capacity of modern cars. I've often gazed longingly (gone into a protracted stare and started dribbling ) at such items, catering, as they would for my own particular needs as well as my frequent rear passengers on short and long haul journeys alike.

Different branded versions of essentially the same TÜV (German Technical Inspection Association) approved and 2013 award winning iF (International Forum design) & Good Design award German made systems are offered by a range of manufacturers including BMW, Mini, Mercedes, Volvo, Seat, Volkswagen, Soda, Audi, Range Rover & Land Rover, with options available at the point or ordering a new vehicle or as after market purchases. Now cheap, these certainly are not, with similar items fetching higher premiums depending on certain marques greed and snobbery (Mercedes and Jaguar... you know who you are! ). But, having looked at many of the so called cheaper Chinese 'universal' offerings littering the bay of fleas which rely on clumsy velcro tabs, I much preferred the quality and finish and fittings of the premium versions. One system that I was looking closely at was from BMW which allows quick fitment of a range of options including a very nice fold out table (also offered as an official accessory by Range Rover, Land Rover, Mercedes, Mini, VW and other marques), with drinks holder and adjustable support, plus other options including a hook for bags and coats, and a clothes hanger that allows the top to be detached whilst leaving the bottom part still in place. There are even a number of accessories that appeal to some of my more technologically and socially media'd up friends and their kids who need holders for their Samsung & Delilah tablets (is that a medicine?) and Apple eye paddles or whatever the hell those things are (I still remember slate and charcoal at school myself), and all it takes is a few moments to push-click them in place or remove them. There is also a storage bag and a GoPro arm option for those who like to record 'safe' driving and perfectly legal 0-30mph sprints against Vauxhall Corsa's laden with spotty youths in faux gold chains and sporting backwards baseball caps or 'careful and considerate' acceleration off the traffic lights against friendly waving Audi drivers....

MK1 & MK2 Rover 75 seats and headrests

It was pointed out to me recently by fellow member steve-45 that cosmetic changes to original and facelift versions of the 75 went further than I had thought, including major alterations in the front seats on both models. My two pre-project driver Mk1's with embossed headrests have headrest poles incredibly close together, necessitating alterations and compromise in order to allow fitment of the base carrier units for this system. Apparently MK2 versions from 2004 have poles further apart, allowing the base carriers to simply slot straight into position as they were intended.

[IMG][/IMG]

I contacted my local BMW showroom 'Stephen James at Ruxley' who were very helpful and quickly established that the BMW and Mini base units were made for headrest poles much further apart than on my two pre-project driver MK1 2003 75's (both with the early Rover embossed headrests).The other manufacturers base units similarly did not seem to fit, VW's version of the base unit in particularly as this has no compression by springs and although really neatly designed with chrome bolts and blanking grommets, worked on a set position for headrest poles unlike the BMW/Mini ones. * when looking to purchase the Base carrier, you can use any from BMW, Mini, Jaguar, Mercedes, Land Rover & Range Rover and Audi as they are identical apart from logo's.

I started to wonder if it might be possible to modify (ie butcher with large drilled holes ) one of the existing base units and purchased a MINI base carrier for a couple of quid as a test unit. I positioned the 75's headrest in the centre of the base carrier and drilled two new holes, thinking the spring inside would be small in size.... turned out the spring is huge and so the test carrier worked but will be replaced shortly with a second unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

So I opted for the second possibility, using the Right hand spring loaded side as it was designed, up against the inside of the outer headrest pole, and then drilling a new hole into the hollow plastic left hand side of the unit. Being eternally cautious I drilled slowly with ever larger diameter drill bits until the desired size holes were made. This worked just fine and a test showed that it sat properly and was snug and tight and the system options seemed to function exactly as originally intended.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

FITTING THE SYSTEM

Fitting is a simple job (and needs to be as I am to the world of DIY what Susan Boyle is to the world of Super models ). Simply remove the headrest and put one pole through the new hole you have drilled, swivel the base unit so that the right side is compressed and drop inside the right hand headrest pole. Push the headrest back into the seat and position as low down as you can (obviously the headrest will no longer sit close to the seat on it's lowest position, it now rests on the top of the base carrier unit. You can still fit the metal finishers supplied with the base carrier (along with a clip retrieval tool that is worth safely storing away. All of the options then simple click in and are detached by pressing on the side and releasing two pins. Really neat and easy.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

AVAILABLE OPTIONS

The available options are as follows: Giving some RRP from several marques. Note that some BMW options have the silver edging or detailing, as do some Mercedes and Jaguar options. In the case of the BMW options, as far as I can make out, the silver edged options were the original releases, and the all black versions with slightly different product codes are the second generation ones.

BASE CARRIER

You need this to mount the entire system. One base carrier per headrest if desired. The base carriers are apparently 'handed' left and right. For example with the MINI branded units product code 51 95 2 354 325 is for the left hand seat and 51 95 2 354 326 is for the right hand seat. But in practice it doesn't really matter if you use the same unit on both sides, everything lines up and the options fit and work perfectly.

BMW Basic carrier 51952183852 25.75 First generation boxes from 2011 do not have TUV/iF & Good design labels on front of box and have a white band at bottom with black lettering. They have a slide out box cover and an inner box.They also have no metal finishers nor holes for them. Second generation 2013 boxes open from the front, include metal finishers and retrieval tool and have the TUV label. The base carriers all have BMW printed in white on left.
Jaguar Click and go base J9C2168 32.00 Jaguar logo printed on left
Land Rover Click and go base VPLRS0388 32.00 Land Rover logo on left
Mercedes basic carrier A0008103300 23.00 Mercedes logo in white on left.
Mini Basic carrier 51952354323 14.50 Has MINI printed on right.
Road Butler Premium Comfort Travel System Base Support Flex RB-BASIS-FLEX-01 35.83

CLOTHES HANGER

Clever two piece unit that allows you to disconnect the top section hanger with jacket or shirt still on and leave bottom section in base carrier.

BMW Clothes hanger 51952183854 59.00 Silver edged original
BMW Clothes hanger 51952449251 59.00 All black 2nd generation
VW Clothes hanger 000061127B 59.00
Jaguar Click and hang J9C2167 74.00
Land Rover Click and hang VPLRS0390 74.00
Mini Clothes hanger 51952354929 60.50

UNIVERSAL HOOK

The hook is perfect for shopping trips and holds anything from jackets to holdalls or several boutique bags to keep the wife happy as well

BMW Universal hook 51952183855 35.00 Has silver painted surface on black.
BMW Universal hook 51952449253 35.00 All black 2nd generation.
VW Universal hook 000061126B 28.00
Jaguar click and hook J9C2169 42.00
Land Rover Click and hook VPLRS0593 42.00
Mini Universal hook 51952354927 26.00 Black on black surface.
BMW Universal hook 51952354927 Using MINI product code but sold for BMW in Russia for 1615 Rubles. (Twenty quid)

There is also a Third generation Universal Hook that pivots at the top and hangs lower, but I cannot find it listed anywhere as yet.

FOLDING TABLE

My favourite option in the range. Very sturdy and well designed. Offers a ring as a cup holder which folds down and has a neat rear pivoting steady bar which rests against the rear of the seat and makes everything secure. The table is also height adjustable and can swivel at the mounting pivot. Grown ups and kids love it for drawing or storing drinks and crisps. Even impresses your mum! Has a nice silver edging in BMW form and is very well made indeed. This identical table is also offered as an option on brand new Mercedes for up to an eye watering 136.00 from some dealers

BMW Folding table 51952183853 94.50 Silver edge original
BMW Folding table 51952449252 94.50 All black 2nd generation
VW Folding table 000061124 96.50
Mercedes Folding table 000061127B 122.00 (UP TO 136.00)
Land Rover Click and work Folding table VPLRS0395 113.00
Mini Folding table 519552449252 94.50 All black.
Road Butler folding table (UK) RB-KlappTisch-01 92.20 (Lake district based company)

Cradle Mount for 7.9'' Apple iPad Mini 1/2/3/ 51952349510 61.00
Cradle mount for 9,7'' iPad 2/3/4 51952355779 107.00
Cradle mount for 9,7'' iPad Air 51952409875 132.00
cradle for10,1'' Samsung Galaxy tablet 3 & 4 51952359144 132.00
GoPro Camera Headrest Holder 51952405470 90.00
GoPro Track Fix holder 51952405469 60.00
There is also a BMW Universal Holder for Tablet Safety Case (51-95-2-408-224) & a soft protective Tablet Safety Cases (51-95-2-360-374)

There is even a UK Lake District based company called ROAD BUTLER who have licensed the Travel & Go system and are offering a kit, rebadged and renamed the 'Comfort Business Set' which comprises 2x Flex base units, 1x Universal Hook and 1x Hanger for £223.00 wgich is about seventy quid over the price of the BMW original units.... ooh yes, but you do get a sparkling silver finish to the Road Butler kit which must be where the additional cost goes!!! The same set is currently available through Amazon UK for 155.93 including free delivery... still a tenner over the full new RRP of the separate BMW pieces!

And at the other end of the scale, our Cousins across the pond in the good ole US of A offer 'The Zone Tech clothes hanger  Item' # SPM8045540808 Model # GA0003 which is sold through Sears in the USA for $9.99. Looks like a very cheap version of the original unit, with more angular and clumsy design and poor quality silver outer edging. Designed as a 'universal' car system.

[IMG][/IMG]

DEALS AND WHERE TO LOOK

As far as I can tell all base fittings of all items from BMW and Mini, Jaguar, VW, Audi, Range Rover, Land Rover & Mercedes are the same, and thus all options will fit, and I ended up mixing and matching with the BMW, Mini and VW versions of the available options, not least because I got an amazing deal on The bay of fleas and got a brand new two piece MINI set with base carrier and hanger for 40.00 including postage, almost half the RRP. That, like many on Fleabay are sold by genuine authorized BMW/Mini main dealers, so you get the genuine product and often a small saving compared to when buying as an accessory option on a new car through them. I also managed to secure a brand new VW folding table and hanger pair for just 57.00, saving 98.00 on RRP!. I also managed to secure a mint condition second hand folding table and BMW base carrier with a polite offer (and a few personal threats) of 50.00 on Fleabay, saving 70.00 on new prices.

So it pays to be patient and shop around as deals come up fairly frequently, meaning you do not have to fork out RRP prices.

[IMG][/IMG]

Practicalities are many fold.

For me, it's a win win situation

Don't want the base carriers spoiling the lines of your headrests, simply remove them in thirty seconds if you don't need the system for a given journey. Don't want the hanger/hook,table,iPad holder/GoPro arm in place all the time... Just remove them, leaving the base carriers in place and place them in a bag in the boot for when you need them. You can fit to one side or both sides and mix and match the options as you need or desire. I like to have a pair of folding tables in Bluebelle as she is used more for longer journeys and motoring holidays in Scotland and Wales and the hook and hanger in Roxy as she is often used for shopping trips to bluewater when the family need additional hanging space to admire their handbags and boutique bags and the boot is laden! But I can also interchange the options depending upon my rear passengers requirements, i.e. tablet holders for those unable to be separated from their social media devices without internally combusting through lack of external connection! … or a table and hanger/hook etc. The permutations are many. I get so many comments from people who see the tables and love them, and rear passengers just love the practicality side. Maybe I am weird, but just the other day on a motorway journey we pulled in at a service station and grabbed some sandwiches, snacks and drinks, hopped in the rear and had a rest and a quick bite to eat using the twin tables. The wife loved them

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Anyway, the quality is excellent, bargains can be had and the options have answered a small prayer from me with regards practicalities in my 75's. I removed the 'Mini' and BMW logos which were printed in white lettering on the black plastic base units, with nail varnish remover (...erm...no, not mine). The lettering is slightly raiseds so it will always be there, but looks better without the white paint. I like the look of the table and other options, after all, they are options on the latest Mini's, BMW, Jag's and Range Rovers costing in excess of One hundred thousand pounds, and to my eyes look right at home in the comfy leather confines of a Rover 75's plush interior.
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.

Last edited by ALPACA; 15th August 2019 at 02:42..
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 07:56   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

well done and a really useful post

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 11:20   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Far too interesting ........

I am going to have to start spending again !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 12:12   #4
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

That's really clever, I never knew such things existed for these cars.

I remember the walnut veneered fold down tables in the back of old cars from years ago.

I wonder do they make a table that can clip onto the steering wheel?
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 12:16   #5
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I bet Rover made a pipe rack!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 12:45   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
That's really clever, I never knew such things existed for these cars.

I remember the walnut veneered fold down tables in the back of old cars from years ago.

I wonder do they make a table that can clip onto the steering wheel?
Here you go Neil
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 13:23   #7
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Here you go Neil
That's what you have in your car?

Very nice.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 13:43   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
That's what you have in your car?

Very nice.
Sadly no another members car. Made from rear armrests iirc
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 20:13   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I've already got a Universal Hook.....made it myself from a wire coat hanger (so it can perform that function as well) and I can indeed vouch that it is universal
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 21:54   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

John Otway did something very similar after seeing Madonna perform.

6 minutes and 15 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_ZVZ89a2I

Last edited by Mike Noc; 10th August 2019 at 00:23..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote