Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2021, 10:19   #1
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Captain Tolley - I salute you!

During a pleasant spell yesterday, I managed to get several applications of Creeping Crack Cure applied to the boot seams where the panels overlap, and along the side where the sealant was originally applied.

I've been mopping up water since I got the car, making good on previous attempts and refitting things correctly, and gradually traced the leak to somewhere above the HK Amp.

This morning, when I went out to check, I was pleased to see no evidence of water despite the overnight rain. I don't want to proclaim it fixed just yet as I'll give it another couple of treatments to be sure, but, I'm pretty chuffed with the results so far
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:26   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

glad you had success. Last year I used most of a bottle around the two rear side windows of the Tourer.... still leaking like a sieve.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:18   #3
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

It’s great stuff isn’t it?
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:43   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
It’s great stuff isn’t it?
Ian in the post above yours doesn't seem to be as convinced as you are. Perhaps you could give him some hints ???---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:13   #5
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

If Rover had gone onto making seive’s they would still be in existence today! I am trying to fix rear leaks on the Rover at the moment I bought the large bottle of Captain tolley so far I have fixed the shark fin leak removed the rear bumper and resealed the square vents, removed the o/s roof strip and dropped some Tolley jollop into a couple of slightly suspect areas, removed the rear plastic hinge panel and used a liberal amount of CP1 sealer in the plastic body fixings,I have a couple more seams to tackle but if all else fails will probably end up drilling a couple of holes to let the water out!

Last edited by 3disco; 22nd February 2021 at 21:33.. Reason: More info
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:35   #6
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
glad you had success. Last year I used most of a bottle around the two rear side windows of the Tourer.... still leaking like a sieve.

macafee2
Are you sure it’s the windows?
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:51   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3disco View Post
Are you sure it’s the windows?
The near side, yes. The offside, very good question. There seems to be an inner skin and an outer skin when inside the car and below the window.
It pours in between these two skins. I don't think it is the chrome trim along the outside. I have removed the roof rail strips and applied seam sealer ling the seam and I have had a go around the trail gate hinge.
I don't have a sun roof and am a bit lost.

I will in summer ask the wife to help and using a hose pour water along certain places to see if it comes in.
I keep towels tucked in where the air vents are to soak up the water so the car does not flood

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:45   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeTee View Post
During a pleasant spell yesterday, I managed to get several applications of Creeping Crack Cure applied to the boot seams where the panels overlap, and along the side where the sealant was originally applied.

I've been mopping up water since I got the car, making good on previous attempts and refitting things correctly, and gradually traced the leak to somewhere above the HK Amp.

This morning, when I went out to check, I was pleased to see no evidence of water despite the overnight rain. I don't want to proclaim it fixed just yet as I'll give it another couple of treatments to be sure, but, I'm pretty chuffed with the results so far
Having resisted for at least 2-3 years the temptation to give it a try I've finally weakened and ordered a nice big size bottle for £15 - here's to a nice dry boot sometime soon
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 14:17   #9
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Over the last few years I've used two bottles of CaptainTolley's underneath the rear rubber window seal all around the rectangular clips, replaced both rear light cluster seals and sealed up the rear window clip pins from underneath using small lengths of hosepipe filled with silicon sealant.

Water still pours in when it rains. Now I just keep a large towel beside the nearside rear light cluster and wring it out regularly. Sick of it.

I got rid of my Omega Elite partly because the spare tyre well was always a swimming pool after rain, then bought my Rover, silly boy, should have come here first.

Last edited by Frogmella; 24th February 2021 at 14:18.. Reason: replaced naughty word with "pours"
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 18:03   #10
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I had a serious amount of water get inside mine over the time it had been sat up and with not using it hadn’t noticed it. It was only when I found mould on the passenger carpet that it came to light. At 1st I thought it was the normal rear light seals, so changed both but still water getting it. The forum recommended Capt. Trolly and I used it along the lower rear window strip. This reduced the water coming in but didn’t stop it.
I then ran it down the sides of the rear window several times and that did the trick. That was 4 weeks ago and not a single drop of water has got in the car.