Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2021, 17:40   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Large TV's

I have always thought large TV's to be a bit of a chav thing. While the wifes' car was being MOT'ed we went into Currys.
Wow the clarity of the large TV's was amazing but I was concerned that what was shown on the TV, was specific to make the TV look better then it may be when watching "BBC". One video made the city it was showing look 3D, truly amazing

Now home, if I hold a rule up at arms length, top to bottom our screen is about 2 3/4 inches. Looking on the internet for what size screen it varies, one site reckons distance from screen in inches divided by 2, another at at 96 to 108 inches a 75 inch TV. The TV should on one site take between 30 and 40 degrees of your vision.
These sizes seem awfully big to me

Has the recommended size of a TV gone up over the years? What happened to the 22 ich TV?

Have you gone for "cinema" style viewing, so wide its all you can see or are you a bit more conservative.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:48   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Has the recommended size of a TV gone up over the years? What happened to the 22 ich TV?

macafee2
Cor, some people like to push size down your throat!
When I was a teenager 21" was the nirvana, and that was only achievable
with "hand-me-down"

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:02   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Did you not look at the curved TV,(ignore ) (as i have been informed curved TV are no longer made they became trouble) i think the minimum TV in most houses now would be 40 inch smart tv.

From there you can choose up to 90 inch smart tv

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 24th July 2021 at 21:18.. Reason: Rectify
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:06   #4
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I may be a little biased on the sizes of Televisions as i work for an AV retailer selling not only Tv's but bespoke cinema projection systems both commercial and for the home use.

Quality of image is pretty much down to the quality of the original source so for instance if you are watching an old episode of Minder on Dave or a similar low bitrate channel it's not going to look great and unfortunately the larger the panel the more obvious that will become. However if you watch a HD channel it will look pretty good even though it will still not be up to the resolution that pretty much any new television over 40" will be as i'm not aware of any on the market now that are less than 4k resolution. Where these 4k sets really start to shine is when you watch a 4k Stream from Netflix or one of the other streaming services. There is also a lot of 4k content available for free on youtube but all of these sources have a certain amount of compression applied to keep the bitrate of the stream down so to see the absolute best ideally you will want to watch movies on 4k Bluray with no compression at all.

As a general rule of thumb i generally advise people that if they are going to watch a lot of movies then imagine yourself sat in your prefferred area of a cinema auditorium, close your eyes and point to where you would imagine the edges of the screen to be, open your eyes and picture that distance apart where your tv is normally positioned and that will give you a good idea of size needed to replicate the cinema experience at home.

If you are going to watch mostly normal tv then it's really a compromise of size over aesthetics in the room.

Just to add i think the most common size of Tv's that we sell is around 55"

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 22nd July 2021 at 18:10.. Reason: extra info
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:59   #5
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
................Has the recommended size of a TV gone up over the years? What happened to the 22 ich TV? ..........
Indeed it has. I have a "techy" book which explains in great detail why he ideal screen size is 9 inches! It's fair to say that times have moved on a little from the date of publication (1955 or thereabouts).

We currently have a 55 inch set in the living room which I love, but I do think there is one thing that is often overlooked, and that is the type of programme you mainly watch. If it tends to be movies, then a big screen is great, but if it's mainly programmes made for tv, then less so. For example, if watching a panel show, or the news, then on a big screen, the presenter or newsreader will often look bigger than real life, which just seems odd to me - who really wants to see a giant head in the corner of the living room .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:08   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I may be a little biased on the sizes of Televisions as i work for an AV retailer selling not only Tv's but bespoke cinema projection systems both commercial and for the home use.

Quality of image is pretty much down to the quality of the original source so for instance if you are watching an old episode of Minder on Dave or a similar low bitrate channel it's not going to look great and unfortunately the larger the panel the more obvious that will become. However if you watch a HD channel it will look pretty good even though it will still not be up to the resolution that pretty much any new television over 40" will be as i'm not aware of any on the market now that are less than 4k resolution. Where these 4k sets really start to shine is when you watch a 4k Stream from Netflix or one of the other streaming services. There is also a lot of 4k content available for free on youtube but all of these sources have a certain amount of compression applied to keep the bitrate of the stream down so to see the absolute best ideally you will want to watch movies on 4k Bluray with no compression at all.

As a general rule of thumb i generally advise people that if they are going to watch a lot of movies then imagine yourself sat in your prefferred area of a cinema auditorium, close your eyes and point to where you would imagine the edges of the screen to be, open your eyes and picture that distance apart where your tv is normally positioned and that will give you a good idea of size needed to replicate the cinema experience at home.

If you are going to watch mostly normal tv then it's really a compromise of size over aesthetics in the room.

Just to add i think the most common size of Tv's that we sell is around 55"
I wrote a whole reply that seems to have been lost.
If it is ok with you I may pm you if and when for advice?
In the meantime what do you think of the LG TV's, G1 and C1?

For what its worth our settee is 18ft from the TV

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 22nd July 2021 at 19:10..
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:09   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I for one don't want the tv to dominate a room, and certainly don't want the newsreader to have a bigger head than mine! Had our first colour set in 1970 - it was 25inch, and we thought we were in heaven. Needed to replace a small set in a study recently, and had a job to find one smaller than 32inch.

As my Mother once said, the screen can be as large as you like but it doesn't make the programmes any better. How true.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 19:09   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Did you not look at the curved TV, i think the minimum TV in most houses now would be 40 inch smart tv.

From there you can choose up to 90 inch smart tv
No just looked at flat screens.
Is there much of an advantage with a curved screen?

macafee2
Old 22nd July 2021, 21:01   #9
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Is there much of an advantage with a curved screen?
Nope. Imo more disadvantages than advantages.

Quote:
I wrote a whole reply that seems to have been lost.
If it is ok with you I may pm you if and when for advice?
In the meantime what do you think of the LG TV's, G1 and C1?

For what its worth our settee is 18ft from the TV

macafee2

Feel free to pm me. Save your money and go for the C1. There is little that the G1 has that the C1 doesn't and certainly little that is noticeable while watching.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 22nd July 2021 at 21:04..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:11   #10
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

I agree with Macafee. Big screens in small rooms do look chavy. Iv been looking a while for a replacement and waited for a 48'OLED too come on th market. Latter i found a nice Sony (Love there solid blacks)
So Pete (Rogue) i record and watch TV when i want. With smart tellies i could do this but suffer by not been able to fast forward adverts.?

My choice is this https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...-ke48a9bu.html. Pluses, 6 yrs guarantee, Android, speakers in screen..

If there is a allternative Pete id like your advise.