Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th September 2021, 07:13   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default jump starting a car with a flat battery

Went to start a car yesterday that had a flat battery, so flat the engine would not turn over.
Using jump leads I connected up a spare good battery that seemed fully charged. Still the car would either not turn over or only just turn over.

Did the flat battery nick "all" the power from the good battery and leave "nothing" for the car?

I had to connect my car up and leave the engine running for 5-10 minutes before the car with the flat battery would start.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2021, 08:00   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Went to start a car yesterday that had a flat battery, so flat the engine would not turn over.
Using jump leads I connected up a spare good battery that seemed fully charged. Still the car would either not turn over or only just turn over.

Did the flat battery nick "all" the power from the good battery and leave "nothing" for the car?

I had to connect my car up and leave the engine running for 5-10 minutes before the car with the flat battery would start.

macafee2

It is far more likely to be the case that the jump lead connection was incapable of carrying the required cranking current. This could occur, for example, if your chosen -ve connection point on the chassis is not a good current conductor.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2021, 08:03   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I connected up a spare good battery that seemed fully charged.
Your use of the word "seemed" Ian probably answers your own question.
Quote:
Yes, quite possibly.

Simon
Old 13th September 2021, 08:03   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I've found "standard" jump leads to be under dimensioned, I invested in some HD leads of thicker cable which do the job when the standard ones failed.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2021, 08:14   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
I've found "standard" jump leads to be under dimensioned, I invested in some HD leads of thicker cable which do the job when the standard ones failed.

Regards

Likewise.

Halfords 35mm^2 jump leads are excellent and never fail to start any car provided the chosen -ve connection point and the donor battery are good.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2021, 08:45   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post

Regards

If you want an idea of the CSA of cables you need, just look at the + - battery cables on your vehicle, you need them to me at least the same or greater CSA.

Nothing at all wrong with the cheap ones, especially the pencil thin ones, if you don't mind the odd bit of melted red or black plastic on top of your wing.

Best way to start from a donor car, correctly connect leads - to engine + to battery + post or jump post.

Start donor car and let it run at fast idle for a few mins depending on how flat the battery is, start the flat car, run this at a fast idle for a few mins till the engine is getting warm, on the flat battery car switch on the headlights or heater on, shut down the donor car, remove leads one at a time, take it a run to Blackpool and back.

Then if there was no obvious reason for the battery to be flat, get it tested.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:03   #7
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

May I submit this in evidence
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=315151

even gone down in price now

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 14th September 2021 at 07:51.. Reason: cint speel prupaly
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2021, 07:32   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Your use of the word "seemed" Ian probably answers your own question.

Yes, quite possibly.

Simon
when i put the spare battery on charge it went to showing fully charged and i am going to assume it is good enough to start one car once

macafee2
Old 14th September 2021, 07:36   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
If you want an idea of the CSA of cables you need, just look at the + - battery cables on your vehicle, you need them to me at least the same or greater CSA.

Nothing at all wrong with the cheap ones, especially the pencil thin ones, if you don't mind the odd bit of melted red or black plastic on top of your wing.

Best way to start from a donor car, correctly connect leads - to engine + to battery + post or jump post.

Start donor car and let it run at fast idle for a few mins depending on how flat the battery is, start the flat car, run this at a fast idle for a few mins till the engine is getting warm, on the flat battery car switch on the headlights or heater on, shut down the donor car, remove leads one at a time, take it a run to Blackpool and back.

Then if there was no obvious reason for the battery to be flat, get it tested.
I will fully charge the battery with it disconnected, check with a volt meter then leave for a few days and try again, I will then reconnect it and test to see how many amps are being drawn.
Whilst it could be a duff battery it does look and I was told is new.

If amp draw is the problem I may well leave the battery disconnected or even remove it and put it on a modern permanent charge to look after it

macafee2
Old 14th September 2021, 10:22   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
when i put the spare battery on charge it went to showing fully charged and i am going to assume it is good enough to start one car once
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately your assumption may be unreliable. Unless your "spare" battery receives a frequent maintenance charge, it is likely to become sulphated. This means that although it may illuminate a "fully charged" indicator, many of the plates may be rendered useless so, in fact, only a proportion of the battery is fully charged. In this condition it is unlikely to start a car and particularly when placed in parallel with the vehicle's discharged battery.

If you put your voltmeter across the "spare" battery and operate the starter, a voltage of below approximately 10.5v suggests that the battery is sulphated if it previously gave a "fully charged" indication.

To guarantee that a "spare" battery will be useful whenever needed, leave it permanently connected to a smart maintenance charger. I recommend C-tek as they are well made and very compact but there are other choices.

Simon