Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th May 2022, 18:27   #1
Steamrally

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Should I scrap my 75, would you?

Hi everyone. I have a 53 reg 75 classic se cdt with auto box, 121k miles. The body is good but the paint has lots of marks. Engine & box good. The problem is the rear subframe and suspension arms. Advisory on last mot said they are corroded. So this would cost a lot to put right as I cannot do the job myself, and a garage would be expensive. Therefore should I sell now with 8 months mot. Run her until the mot runs out then scrap. Or try and save enough money to get her fixed. What would you do? I love my 75 and don't want to part with her, but is it worth the cost to put her right?
Steamrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2022, 19:28   #2
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

In a word - No!
My 75 tourer needs welding underneath with the scottish roads not being kind but I love the car more than any other I have owned. I replaced the entire rear suspension and all in a oner myself and was really glad i did. I found a great condition complete sub-frame with arms attached and really enjoyed doing the work, lying on my driveway.

It depends on your circumstances but these car dont cost the earth to keep going (compared to buying something else) and are too higher quality to throw away, which many, unfortunately, do for simple issues. If you love it, save up and fix it, if all else is good. You probably wouldnt regret it, you might regret getting rid though........! good luck.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2022, 19:48   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

All depends on circumstances and just how much you like the car. I spent a load on new rear subframe, suspension arms, springs, dampers etc, doing the work myself. But then started pricing up other things that would need doing imminently, and to me, the cost far outweighed the worth of car.

I was really unsure about getting rid of it as over the years I'd convinced myself what a great car it was, power, handling comfort etc. I spent a few days browsing auto trader, for any manual diesel saloon, and narrowed it down to 3 models I liked. I found 1 a 10 minute drive away and arranged and went on a test drive, and put a deposit on it the moment I got back.

I've had the replacement 7 months now, and I haven't regretted it once. Yes I'll be paying off this car for another 3 and a bit years, but I feel it's money better spent, than ploughing it into the old ZT. Admittedly I'm also about to put it in for some very expensive preventative maintenance, but it's still worth more than I've spent on work, and it's my fault for not doing a bit more research before buying, however I probably would still have got it as it's lovely. If I'd had somewhere to keep the ZT I may have kept it as a 2nd car, but I couldn't.

So if you've got the time to make a decision, I'd recommend doing the same, get on auto trader and just search for preferred gearbox, fuel and body style, and see if anything takes your fancy, at a price you can afford/justify. If you find something, take a test drive, research common faults, and then you'll be better placed to decide if you want to spend £X on your current car, or £Y on a replacement.

Asking on the owners forum 99% are going to tell you it's great and keep it, but it all depends on circumstances. You've got a good few months to try different things and price it up and make your decision.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2022, 21:03   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Have you totted up the price of the parts an got quotes from a garage for the labour?
A pair of new upper arms is £170ish
sub frame £390ish but if you ring Rimmer brothers in Lincoln they may be able to do you a better price if it means keeping the car on the road.
Here is a link to a second hand one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333140896...EAAOSw67tiQbtE

The advisory about corrosion may not be the death nail for the items, they may be in good enough condition to save but the arms can go in between an advisory of one mot and the next mot.

how much is the labour?

It is not the hardest job to do the change the arms and sub frame.
I have changed the arms, springs, dampers and sub frame. Seized bolts are the danger.

pm mickyboy a trader here to see if he can do you a good sub frame.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2022, 23:11   #5
Steamrally

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for your help.
I was at Kwik Fit today for a check up and I told the manager I was going to get the subframe done and he just started laughing as though I was a idiot to spend on the old 75, and that is why I asked the question. In my younger days I would just get the job done, end of, how things have changed, it must be an age thing.
One way or another my 75 Will live on.

Last edited by Steamrally; 10th May 2022 at 23:18.. Reason: Added more
Steamrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2022, 05:03   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Pick up a 2nd hand subframe, spend £50 ish quid having is sandblasted and powder coated.

Then buy all the new bits, upper, lower etc, bring them to a garage that is maned by muppets and they can assemble it all.

IMO it's perfect time to sort it. Also you'd probably find it's surface rust, and an hour or two with a wore brush and some paint will sort it. Unless the whole lot is extremely bad.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2022, 06:16   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
Pick up a 2nd hand subframe, spend £50 ish quid having is sandblasted and powder coated.

Then buy all the new bits, upper, lower etc, bring them to a garage that is maned by muppets and they can assemble it all.

IMO it's perfect time to sort it. Also you'd probably find it's surface rust, and an hour or two with a wore brush and some paint will sort it. Unless the whole lot is extremely bad.

Can have it powder coated with the bushes in due to heat?
Wire bush, surface rust, you are a better man then me if you can get it nice and clean. I changed mine as I did not think I could get it clean. I hope to get the old one shot blasted as I dont think it will fit in my cabinet for me to shot blast.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2022, 07:01   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamrally View Post
The problem is the rear subframe and suspension arms. Advisory on last mot said they are corroded.
First thing Michael is that it's an advisory not a failure and some garages are mischievous with these as they know that they will panic the owner into having work done which might not be necessary for many years, if at all.

Find me a rear subframe and suspension which doesn't look rusty! Mine certainly does but it's passed the MOT for 22 years without any advisories of that kind.

What you can do Michael on a sunny Sunday afternoon is brush off the surface corrosion and apply one of the many "rust converter" liquids on the market. I have one which looks milky but dries to a black finish which doesn't attract unwelcome attention from over zealous MOT testers!

So my answer is, keep your head and keep your car.

Simon
Old 11th May 2022, 08:15   #9
NewDoc
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Good grief! Don't go scrapping her. I have a very similar car and looking back at all the MOT's they all have a the same advisory "corrosion to the rear subframe". It would seem that there is a trend. As in a previous post I also intend to get underneath with a wire brush and some smooth Hammerite.

Born: 2003-10-20 @14:58:12
NewDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2022, 08:17   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

See if someone on here will give you a price higher than the scrappy will give you, sell it to them, then that will give you loads of time to regret and rue the decision, good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote