Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2007, 11:15   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Fitting mud flaps properly

Since I had my new wheels fitted, being ever so slightly wider than the originals, I get spray from the road wheels along the front and rear wings which could usefully be corrected by fitting proper OEM mud-flaps.

I have a complete set on their way courtesy of Rimmer Bros but my problem is with fitting them.

From what I can remember on my previous 75, the fitting is a bit Heath Robinson to say the least and the one thing that really does concern me is the possibility of hidden corrosion.

Can anbody let me know how to fit these mud-flaps properly please so that potential for corrosion is reduced to a minimum or eradicated?

Mine is an 02 75.

Thank you.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 11:52   #2
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I can only speak for the front set, but instructions in the kit are pretty straightforward. There are 4 screws holding the existing trim/guard, but the one on the bottom is redundant, leaving a hole. I suppose you could re-fit the screw just to block the hole. I think the liner has to be tucked in behind the arch, so this might be an area to add some protection.
I took one off recently to re-spray and did find a bit of trapped dirt behind.
If you plan to remove the guards for cleaning/inspection, I'd advise not pushing the "U" clips all the way home. Leaving a small gap makes it easier to poke a screwdriver down to lever the clip out.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 18:48   #3
Raistlin
Banned

Hi

Yes - I agree that the instructions are straightforward. It's just that I saw a great deal of potential for corrosion - maybe me being paranoid.

Perhaps a liberal dosing with waxoyl might set my mind at rest
Old 12th June 2007, 22:05   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Paul you are absolutely right and long term if not regularly removed to be cleaned I think the front ones could cause a fair bit of damage.

I was going to post on this as a result of my Tow Bar fitting exercise at the weekend, there was lots of dirt behind the rear ones and dirt forms a grinding paste over time.

The rears are less of an issue as they fit to the plastic bumper but the fronts, well I am tempted to take them off permanently.

I find they ground easily over speed bumps etc and that movement is going to be transferred through the dirt directly to the paintwork.

It may take a few years but I think it could be a problem in waiting.
Definitely worth removing them and cleaning thoroughly every now and then or if you want them on their permanently bed them in silicon sealant, a bit drastic but nothing will get behind them then.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 06:41   #5
Raistlin
Banned

Thanks Keith

I think the silicon sealant is a good idea.
Old 13th June 2007, 07:43   #6
john adam
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur saloon

Hello, not sure that the silicone sealant is such a good idea. Water will always get behind the liner, sealing the bottom may prevent that water draining away. I prefer the suggested regular clean out.
Regards
John A
john adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 10:27   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Silicon would if applied liberally permanently prevent damage to the exterior painted surface but the area at the bottom could still be vulnerable

It would be worth ensuring that if something like Silicon was used that the wheel arch liner can still easily be removed, it is not a tight fit behind the actually wheel arch and dirt can get behind it.
A keen owner might occasionally remove it and clean the metal work before applying something like Waxoyl.

Special attention may be worth paying to the plastic insulation stuffed in the cavity directly above the mud flap area as damp and debris could accumulate in there.

Talking of rust I found a wee bit of surface rust under the boot seal dead centre at the bottom where the seals join is not sure why but it got dealt with!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 21:14   #8
triple e
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, Connoisseur CDT SE Automatic 4 Door

Default Re fitting Front Mud Flaps

I've a problem following the incorrect fitting of a front mud flap by my garage who I had to leave to deal with a front suspension rear bush replacement as I didn't have the time.
I've now been able to remove it (they made the proverbial 'pigs ear'of a job) but I see reference only earlier to instructions on correctly fitting them. Please can someone point me in the right direction to find these instructions (or copy them for me ideally) as I'm not wanting to have them dropping down again to catch the speed ramps.
triple e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 21:17   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple e View Post
I've a problem following the incorrect fitting of a front mud flap by my garage who I had to leave to deal with a front suspension rear bush replacement as I didn't have the time.
I've now been able to remove it (they made the proverbial 'pigs ear'of a job) but I see reference only earlier to instructions on correctly fitting them. Please can someone point me in the right direction to find these instructions (or copy them for me ideally) as I'm not wanting to have them dropping down again to catch the speed ramps.
Wow, a nine year old thread resurrection
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 21:27   #10
triple e
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, Connoisseur CDT SE Automatic 4 Door

Hi I'm still not too sure how best to raise queries in this brilliant and very useful forum. Please advise if this has not been correct where my query should best be entered. Many thanks, John
triple e is offline   Reply With Quote