Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2010, 20:49   #1
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Ibus + ipk = ...

Hello everyone,

I have one idea....read...

1. Displaying custom messages on that display (i.e. coolant temperature).

2. On the IPK (instrument cluster), you can see TrafficMaster module displaying "boot" message

http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachmen...6&d=1158253150

3. TrafficMaster module is connected to IKE through dedicated "Nav-bus" line (single wire + 12V + GND), described here:

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=34798

4. Engineer from Pektron described TrafficMaster module working like this:

The Rover traffic alert device (TAD) simply receives the RF data from the roadside beacons and sends it via the I-bus to the instrument cluster.

As far as our unit is concerned there are just the 3 wires connected, the 0 volts, ignition +12 volts and the data bus to the cluster.

The other 3 unused connections are 1 no connection, 1 battery and 1 Beep disable, none of which are necessary or normally used.

Hope that clarifies

So, I want to make an interface that would read coolant temperature from K-BUS line and send it to the IPK like TrafficMaster sends its own messages.

What I need ? I need someone who has IBUS analyzer to connect it and log the message format being sent from TM module to IPK (through pink-black wire). When we decode the format, we can try to disconnect TM and send our own messages to IPK. If we succeed in that, I can guarantee that I will make the interface that will display coolant temperature on IPK display, or any other info being transmitted on K-BUS line (speed, RPM, ...)
milosnikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:11   #2
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Anyone ?

At least, share your thoughts, ideas ...
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:40   #3
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

It's a good idea and something worth trying. I'm sure it's possible although could be difficult.

I would start by understanding how traffic master transfers the information to the ipk. Is it raw data going to the ipk and the ipk translates the data into readable text or does the trafficmaster interface translate the data and trasmit text (or perhaps something else?).

Taking apart a TM unit would be fun too.

Affaid I can't really help in any way though.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:49   #4
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
It's a good idea and something worth trying. I'm sure it's possible although could be difficult.

I would start by understanding how traffic master transfers the information to the ipk. Is it raw data going to the ipk and the ipk translates the data into readable text or does the trafficmaster interface translate the data and trasmit text (or perhaps something else?).

Taking apart a TM unit would be fun too.

Affaid I can't really help in any way though.
That's exactly what I need - someone to connect IBUS analyzer to the TM wire that goes into IPK and capture the data traffic.

I am sure there are people here who have IBUS analyzer and it's 10 minutes job to do it.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:16   #5
billcoleman
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

An interesting starfting point could be to use the following I-bus interface: http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

You can then use NavCoder software from http://www.siegenthaler.co.nz/

This will definately get you on the ibus - I have tried the demo software and it works well.
billcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:50   #6
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcoleman View Post
An interesting starfting point could be to use the following I-bus interface: http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

You can then use NavCoder software from http://www.siegenthaler.co.nz/

This will definately get you on the ibus - I have tried the demo software and it works well.
Thanks for this info, but I need TM module data to be captured. I cannot do it my self as here in Serbia we don't have any TM transmitting stations at all
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:02   #7
rogerls
Regular poster

ZT 260SE

I have an interface, and full copy of NavCoder, I will have a go at getting some data captured when the snow has gone !...
rogerls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:53   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosnikolic View Post
Anyone ?

At least, share your thoughts, ideas ...
Yes please, very interested. My guess is that the data between TM and IPK will be just standard serial ASCII data, as this is what many of the general purpose LCD displays use. I fancy the display will be just a standard one which has been adapted for use on the 75, back lit by a red or yellow LED's.

There is one perhaps minor problem, the display is also used for showing mpg/ trip mileage etc. which overides the TM's use of the display, for lighting faults, door open warnings etc.. So it is already a very heavily used display.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:00   #9
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Yes please, very interested. My guess is that the data between TM and IPK will be just standard serial ASCII data, as this is what many of the general purpose LCD displays use. I fancy the display will be just a standard one which has been adapted for use on the 75, back lit by a red or yellow LED's.

There is one perhaps minor problem, the display is also used for showing mpg/ trip mileage etc. which overides the TM's use of the display, for lighting faults, door open warnings etc.. So it is already a very heavily used display.
If data between TM and IPK is plain ASCII, it would be fantastic, but I doubt.

Display IS heavily used BUT TM displays messages when you are not in any of trip computer functions. Also, it is possible to display 4 lines of text on the display and those could contain current speed, mpg, coolant temperature and trip mileage.

Sounds good ?

Let's wait for ROGER with some data capturings
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:02   #10
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerls View Post
I have an interface, and full copy of NavCoder, I will have a go at getting some data captured when the snow has gone !...
I hope the Sun will hear my prayers and shine with all its power to melt the snow asap :xmas-smiley-031: