Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2015, 01:07   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default Freelander 1.8 project

On a local NI car forum was a little early 2000 1.8 freelander advertised a ready for scrapping as was a total none starter having been to several mechanics on a tow truck.

So me being me, a rover in need etc went down took a look at it, donation to action cancer was given in their name and a week later got it recovered back to mine, this was about 5 weeks before Christmas when I hurt my back and had a fortnight off work also.

Now I know what your all thinking. A freelander. A 1.8. A 5 door base spec model at that.... Well I'd been after a 75 1.8 for some time now but I couldn't justify a 4th same version of the car and this ticks quite a few boxes for not just now but the future. So it even met with other half's approval.

Car hadn't moved in guts of a year, engine was totally none responsive so I knew it was either going to end up scrapped or sorted. It had passed mot 3 weeks and was parked up, it even had a years tax on it at time and ran out same time as mot.

Well last week I got the engine running and running well, even after a decent oil change she's still tappety but will get there sure.

Took a lot of messaging about, basically ended up going to a scrap yard, stripping a whole 1.8 k series (older type) for every used engine sensor, part etc and try what was OK and what had failed, and if it improved I then changed it for a new version of said part.

What really her going was drained fuel tank of virtually nothing but water and what looked like fairy liquid, half full again with new unleaded, replaced fuel pump as it was low pressure, changed fuel filter (inside the tank lol), cleaned fuel lines out fully, new spark plugs, changed distributor cap and rotor arm, bought brand new Land rover cam sensor, exhaust and removed cat then drained it out, was full of something in between water and algee, flushed out outta system along with a lot of other gunk, fresh oil from trade tec, finally a set of filters is on way now also for engine and cabin.

Good news is vcu and ird drive setups work well, joys of living beside a field so happy times for that little test. Will mot in March and see what it needs to pass, then timing belts and water pump / thermostat kit.

Smashing wagons to work on, loads of room and big chunky bolts for everything. Have tinkered with them before already so have a few clues about them.

Planning some changes to it, 2 inch lift kit, camber bolts, extended brake lines, 205/80/16 at tyres, 30mm spacers and then maybe a few exterior changes.

All in the lift and tyres will give 2.9 inches of extra clearance giving her a total off 11 inches ground clearance from lowest point after. Would surprise you how good these are off road when driven right.

Want to go greenlaning in her and also have something for next year when the snow comes that's ready to go and not leave us stranded.

Oh and my mate Steve wanted one so we got him. A td4 then my dad wanted one so he got a td4 also.........then my mate Johnny wanted one and got a 1.8 facelift also for him and his dog.... And now my wife really likes it and is asking about a diesel auto......

Might as well start stocking up on spares lol

Last edited by Robson Rover Repair; 24th February 2015 at 01:19..
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 06:27   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Oh the joy of having the space to work on a project, well done.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 23:54   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Having had 35k miles of fun in her the clutch went last month towing a defender outta a bog. And yes it worked lol.

Car has now been broken for scrap parts and ive replaced it with this.....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...46#post2381346
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote