Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2015, 11:34   #1
vincentfishing
Loves to post

rover 75cdt diesel saloon

Question why do cdt/cdti not suffer from water in diesel?

Just read a post about moisture and hydraulic fluid and recalled how all diesel machines on building sites had water traps and water drain offs on bottom of filter, indeed my old toyota estima had a water warning light on dash,when lit i would drain off water from tap on bottom of filter.on site we were taught that the more air in machine fuel tanks the more water/condensation would get in system so we always kept tanks filled. so back to my point why no drain off/ or water problems in our diesel ????
vincentfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 11:50   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfishing View Post
Just read a post about moisture and hydraulic fluid and recalled how all diesel machines on building sites had water traps and water drain offs on bottom of filter, indeed my old toyota estima had a water warning light on dash,when lit i would drain off water from tap on bottom of filter.on site we were taught that the more air in machine fuel tanks the more water/condensation would get in system so we always kept tanks filled. so back to my point why no drain off/ or water problems in our diesel ????
Because we have a return fuel cooling radiator which cools the fuel before it goes back into the tank...

It sits just behind the rear OS wheel.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:52   #3
vincentfishing
Loves to post

always wondered what that was
Old 14th May 2015, 16:49   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

And plastic fuel tanks, and rubber delivery hoses......

You been for an MOT yet Vincent ?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 17:32   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I did a full service yesterday, pouring the clean fuel from the diesel filter back into the tank rather than waste it. At the very bottom of what came out of the filter, were a few drops of water.

I don't quite get Klarzy's bit about the fuel cooler, but agree warmed fuel returned to the tank will help prevent condensation forming, as will the sealed breather system and use of plastic for fuel components. .

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 20:04   #6
vincentfishing
Loves to post

yes brian, it failed on rusty brake hose and one balljoint, not bad for a car that was last mot'd in 2012,and prior to test gave it a blast down the local dual carriageway to clear the cobwebs was very impressed with the 160 upgrade,thank you .
Old 15th May 2015, 16:32   #7
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>gave it a blast down the local dual carriageway to clear the cobwebs<<<

A good blast is a good idea at anytime with a diesel engine, mine gets one every time I use it..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 08:57   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfishing View Post
Just read a post about moisture and hydraulic fluid and recalled how all diesel machines on building sites had water traps - - - so back to my point why no drain off/ or water problems in our diesel ?
Water condensation needs two things, moist air in the tank and low internal temperatures. The amount of air getting into fuel tanks varies between petrol tanks and diesel tanks. The high vapour pressure of petrol foms a 'protective blanket' inside, so there's very little air getting in. The high vapour pressure is why petrol systems have the carbon canister. Diesel oil has a relatively low vapour pressure, so more moisture gets inside.

The plastic construction of the fuel tanks reduces heat conduction, so less heat is lost in cold weather compared to a metal tank. Diesel fuel in the tank also tends to be warmer than petrol due to the backflow. If left long enough without use, water will eventually be formed. This also applies to very old petrol in tanks. Eventually, the high vapour pressure components evaporate leaving a damp more oily liquid that will refuse to ignite properly

Moisture absorbtion by hydraulic fluids is a separate issue, caused by the chemical affinity of polyglycol type fluids for water in the atmosphere.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 16th May 2015 at 09:01..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 16:33   #9
vincentfishing
Loves to post

just serviced my rexton 2.7 diesel(mercedes engine) prior to selling now i have another 75, and hey presto water sensor on bottom of fuel filter, funny how 2006 merc engine still has water problems ,but old rovers /bmw dont !!!