Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th October 2022, 17:30   #11
MJS_DMS

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Curve ball ...

Started up this morning to go to MOT station, engine lumpy, and lots of blue smoke. So definitely an injector being mischievous. As suggested, gave it some of the bestest beans for a while ... and hey presto ... purring like a kitten again. Did it get me through the MOT ... no. It failed. Not on emissions though. But because the horn didn't work!! Emissions where fine! No other advisories. Tester must have thought me nuts when I laughed. Anyway I can fix that ... relay clicking so probably the connector near the driver's side headlight. First port of call anyway. Job for tomorrow night. Never been so relieved at a failure. How bizarre is that?
Thanks again to everyone. Much appreciated. As always.
MJS_DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2022, 18:29   #12
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

[QUOTE=MJS_DMS;2947943]Hi All.
Sanity is a somewhat rare commodity in this household, but I'm really struggling with this problem and looking for some guiding lights to help.
Although my 'profile' say saloon I also have a Tourer. 2002 ... 2.0 Diesel 115 bhp ... 89k miles
Starts no problem at all. Stand behind car and it is not a normal diesel smell. Increase rpm to 2000-2500 and it generates a lot of blue smoke. Definitely blue.
Thus far I have ... done the intercooler o-rings, fuel filter, cleaned egr valve, drained out about 1.5l of overfill oil from last year's garage service (car done 1200 miles since), replacement swirl type PCV valve (as per Robson Rover Repairs ... thank you to you)
Same whether remove air filter, remove filler cap, disconnect MAF,
Not sluggish (therefore hoping turbo still good), no oil leaks (therefore hope no over pressure in crankcase), no stuttering, no diesel around injectors. EGR bellows close to EGR looks fine ... no black ... no sounds ... no out of the ordinary noises from engine.
Smoke goes away if drive it for a longer period of time, but left it for 3 hours on drive, get back in and ... smoking again ... maybe worse than before.
No oil trying to escape out of dip stick. Can't smell any diesel in oil.
The diesel is probably older than it should be ... but I believe this gives white smoke rather than blue. Blue to me sounds like ... oil. I haven't noticed major oil loss ... but given it had an overabundance that's not surprising I guess.
It's running nicely ... other than that. And that smell ... is, well, not what it should be.
So ... where from here? Blocked turbo oil return pipe? Intercooler itself damaged? Cat (really not convinced on that one), piston rings (but would expect more crankcase pressure), turbo seals (but it's quite perky).
Maybe some fresh diesel and some cleaner will do the trick. But now I'm beginning to worry whether I should be driving it for fear of further 'damage'.
Thank you in advance.[/QUOmiles

Sorry to hear of your problems, the answer is there in the miles covered with a engine overfilled with oil the servicing garage has damaged your engine by overfilling it. Go back and talk to them about it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2022, 18:33   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS_DMS View Post
Started up this morning to go to MOT station, engine lumpy, and lots of blue smoke. So definitely an injector being mischievous.
Treat it to a bottle of Forte injector cleaner.
Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2022, 15:22   #14
MJS_DMS

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 100 lines ....

... repeat after me ... I must plug back in what I disconnect ... yep, the horn not working turned out to be ... because I forgot to plug the connector back in having removed the front end during the summer. So, all working now, and proud owner of a new MOT certificate. What a palaver ... but got there in the end. Phew, what a relief. Still smiling now ... sad, but true.
MJS_DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2022, 22:43   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS_DMS View Post
... repeat after me ... I must plug back in what I disconnect ... yep, the horn not working turned out to be ... because I forgot to plug the connector back in having removed the front end during the summer. So, all working now, and proud owner of a new MOT certificate. What a palaver ... but got there in the end. Phew, what a relief. Still smiling now ... sad, but true.
Hi Martin.
You're not the first or the last that has done the same after removing the front bumper at least you have another 12 months under you belt now which gives you time to sort out the blue smoke problem, maybe do a leak back test.

You could also drop a bottle of this in every three months

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222076086571

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote