Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2010, 19:25   #1
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Smile Rover 75 Club rear near side door problem.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Forum but I have found it invaluable already answering all my questions so far but I do still have one problem.
I recently purchased a 2001 Rover 75 2.0 Litre Diesel Club and I have a problem with the rear nearside door as it will now not open from outside, it was always stiff from the start, but now after much tugging on the handle, which now comes out a little too far, it will not operate the lock although the handle returns to its original place OK. I originally had the Child lock on so getting the door open was a trial and a half but my trusty bent 12"" rule managed to move the Child lock from inside so I was able to open the door. I presume I will have to remove the door card from the door to get at whatever the problem is but would like some help please with how to remove door card and what might have happened to the outer handle mechanism. Many thanks.
Kenneth Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 19:41   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Had a similar problem with the rear offside door on my 75 - turned out to be a broken piece of plastic in the handle backplate.

To remove the door card trim:-

Remove screw in interior door handle - you'll then need to push the handle forward which should release it from the card and then unhook the attached cable. Remove the electric window switch, I use an old credit card as a lever, and unplug the loom. You'll now need to release the clips around the door edge, I use my fingers but some use a large flat blade to do this. When all the clips are released you should pull out and up, a note of caution there is a clip under the armrest which can break as you remove - I've never had this problem but some have.

You should now be able to access the handle mechanism to see what's wrong - I have some pictures that might help you to understand how it all works and would be pleased to post them if that's of interest.

Edit: does a club have rear electric windows? If they are manual will need to release a circlip that retains the winding handle.

Regards

Last edited by J1MBO; 21st January 2010 at 19:45.. Reason: another thought
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 22:53   #3
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Smile Rover 75 rear nearside door problem.

Hi J1MBO, many thanks for the information on rear door problem. As you know the door will not open from outside although I have now put WD40 everywhere. My car does have electric windows on all four doors. Pictures of what lies inside the door would be very useful as I have not removed a door card on a Rover 75 Club before. Is it possible to e-mail the pictures or post them to me.
Do you know if any spare parts are available for door repairs or is it a case of buying a complete lock assembly. Thanks again.

Last edited by Kenneth Smith; 21st January 2010 at 22:58.. Reason: add more information
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:43   #4
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Kenneth, sorry didn't see you post last night, early to bed as on lates this week - was tied up with other things when I got home and have only just managed to turn the laptop on.

If you give me a couple of hours or so I'll see if I can put something together that might well help you and post it in this thread.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:35   #5
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Hi Kenneth, put together some photo's that might help you with sorting the problem out with the door. I'm guessing that the handle backplate is at fault - but would suggest that you strip it down to check.

Following on from my previous post advising the way to take the door card off.

When you've removed the electric window switch, disconnect the plug shown in the red circle

The interior handle has a "blank" covering the screw

To remove the interior handle you'll need to push it forward to release from the door card and unclip the operating cable shown in the red circle

Here's a photo with the door card removed, it's the offside one in my case, so just the reverse for your nearside one. Show's the armrest clip at A, the interior door handle operating cable at B and the area you'll need to peel back the foam at C

Now it's possible to remove the part that I think is broken without removing the actual lock - but it'll all need doing by feel. Here's a picture of the mechanism again for the offside door you'll need to reverse in your case.
I forgot to mark 5 as the latch/lock.

Now you will need to put you hand up into the door from the inside and feel for a clip that is behind the "button" of the exterior door handle - the bit that doesn't move when you pull it. Photo below showing what you're trying to find.

When you have released this clip and removed the "button" you should now be able to remove the door handle which will expose two rubber seals, remove these and you will find two screws with "star" drive, for the life of me cannot remember what they're called (remembered they're called torx), remove and disconnect the rod and remove from the door. I'm guessing but I think it will look like this

But should look like this

If that's your problem you'll need to obtain a new handle backplate as per this link http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CXF100222 and replace.

You might well have problems replacing the rod that activates the latch/lock - haynes suggests that you reconnect at A, but that requires three hands! I found it was much easier reconnecting at B

Hope that you find this helpful Kenneth - pity you're at the other end of the country - a bit too far for me to help personally.

Again for information here's another Rimmers link that also shows the lock/latch/handle set up http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001787

Regards

Last edited by J1MBO; 22nd January 2010 at 17:41.. Reason: remembered it was torx!
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:51   #6
Kenneth Smith
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Smile Rover 75 rear nearside door problem

J1MBO you're a star. Many thanks for the pictures they are fantastic and very very useful. Best Wishes and thanks again, Ken
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:18   #7
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Smith View Post
J1MBO you're a star. Many thanks for the pictures they are fantastic and very very useful. Best Wishes and thanks again, Ken
Glad to be of help, just hope you manage to sort it all out.

Regards
Old 1st February 2010, 08:29   #8
Malcstag

75 Tourer CDT Mk1

Hi I had fun doing the front door cable! Its easy once you have removed the lock module, you need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the window runner then carefully pull the lock round the space created to free it up. You can then clip the cable in and put it all back, its fiddly but quicker than doing it with lock in situ!
Malcstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 13:48   #9
richie69
Regular poster

Rover75 Saloon

Jimbo many thanks what a great piece of work couldnt have done it without your help.:lol:
richie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 16:06   #10
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie69 View Post
Jimbo many thanks what a great piece of work couldnt have done it without your help.:lol:
Glad to be of help.

Regards