Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2006, 09:45   #1
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Default Touch up paint error?

Here we go again! I just managed to nudge my house and the rough brickwork put some tiny dinks in the front bumper (a bit like pin pricks).

The metal label on my 2002 Rover 75's door pillar gives the paint code as MUM and trim code as LBB. As far as I know the MUM code means Zircon Silver.

When I bought the car a few weeks ago, I found a touch-up paint kit in the glovebox - one paint pencil and one lacquer pencil. The paint pencil is marked AWZ 101080V Zircon Silver, but the metallic paint inside it is a lot darker than the car's metallic silver paintwork.

I've shaken the pencil for ten minutes non-stop but the colour doesn't get any lighter. In fact, it's nearly as dark as the colour of Grey Ghost's MG.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Have they put the wrong paint in the pencil? Or is the paint code on the car's label wrong? (i.e. it's not eally Zircon Silver).

Does anyone have a pic of a Zircon Silver car so I can see if it matches mine?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Simon W; 24th November 2006 at 10:42..
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:24   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

As you've already got it in stock as it were, could you use some on a piece of scrap ( or somewhere it doesn't matter, eg under the boot covering) to see if it lightens/matches when it dries? And when the laquer's put on?

Clutching at straws maybe, but isn't Silver renowned as a difficult colour to match anyway
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:41   #3
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
As you've already got it in stock as it were, could you use some on a piece of scrap ( or somewhere it doesn't matter, eg under the boot covering) to see if it lightens/matches when it dries? And when the laquer's put on?

Clutching at straws maybe, but isn't Silver renowned as a difficult colour to match anyway
I've already tried it on a 'scrap' piece and it didn't go any lighter when it was dry. The lacquer is perfectly clear so I don't think that would have any effect on paint colour.

Any metallic paint is difficult to match (including silver) but this pencil paint is nowhere near the right colour to start with.

I had a metallic blue Granada once and Perrys Ford said there were 26 different hues of the same paint name (which was Arctic Blue I think).

I'm beginning to think my car isn't Zircon Silver at all. I'd like to see a pic of someone else's Zircon car.

Last edited by Simon W; 24th November 2006 at 10:43..
Old 24th November 2006, 11:23   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
Does anyone have a pic of a Zircon Silver car so I can see if it matches mine?
Aghhhhhhhhh the will be along like buses in a minute
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 12:10   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Alexs' car is Zircon

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ewimages&id=38
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 13:10   #6
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post

Yes I've spotted Alex's pics. His car certainly looks likes the same colour as mine but it could always be a trick of the light. Either way, it's a darned sight lighter than my (supposedly) "Zircon Silver" touch up paint!
Old 24th November 2006, 23:17   #7
Keith O
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I have a little, ( ok a lot!) of experience of touching in marks on cars from my days selling the things. My tips are:

Get a new touch up - they go off with time, maybe solvents evaporate or something happens to the paint but they don't last forever.

Silver is not easy, shake the paint for at least two minutes and then paint some fairly thickly onto a clean surface - jam jar lid or similar, let the paint settle and then using another brush, take paint from this to the car.

Touch in using an upward motion, just touch the brush onto the scratch and let capilliary action take the paint from the brush to the car. Letting the paint run down the stick is inviting drips and runs.

I never had any success with the lacquer stick, it just seemed to draw attention to the repair, better results with only the colour but that might be just me.

Finally, have a rag to hand to immediately wipe away any mistakes before the fresh paint dissolves the existing paint. Any minute traces can be polished off afterwards.

Good luck

Keith.
Keith O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 04:27   #8
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

'MUM' is Zircon Silver Metallic but different! My advice is by an MUM coded paint stick. There are instances of same name different code for paints - always best go by the code
Old 25th November 2006, 09:56   #9
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
'MUM' is Zircon Silver Metallic but different! My advice is by an MUM coded paint stick. There are instances of same name different code for paints - always best go by the code
KEITH: Thanks for the 'How To'. I'll give it a shot if I can find the right colour paint. Mind you the 'scratches' I'm trying to mend are actually tiny pin-pricks - where the bobbles on the house brick have indented into the car bumper - so they're actually holes in the paint rather than scratches.

MIKE: By paint stick, do you mean a kind of paint 'pen', rather than a tube with a miniature brush?

Any idea where I can buy a MUM paint stick?
Old 25th November 2006, 10:38   #10
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Go to a dealer and ask for a MUM coded touch up thingy, rather than Zircon silver, then you should get the correct part for your car.

Here it is

You need to ask for:

AWZ101080 Paint-pencil - Zircon Silver, MUM