Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th November 2006, 11:54   #1
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Default Brake Pads on ZT

Does anyone know how long brake pads typically last for? Or is this a dumb question?

I only ask because i'm going to touch up the calipers with a bit of silver paint to make them look clean. Whilst i've got the wheels off they were going to get a clean and I wondered if it was worth replacing the brake pads? I've had the car 18months and they have never been changed. The car is a 54 plate (two years old from registration last month). I doubt they would have been changed in the two years.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 12:04   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi,
I'm not sure how long they last but it's only a simply job to do so I would wait till they needed doing, Have a look how much they have left on them and take it from there
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 12:07   #3
The_Monk

-

Ok, thanks!
Old 25th November 2006, 12:22   #4
The_Monk

-

How hard is it to actually take the whole caliper off? I've just read the how to for changing the brake pads as the calipers need a good clean first, but if I was able to remove it from the brake hose this would make life easy to paint away from the car paint work! Do I have to drain the brake fluid from the car?
Old 25th November 2006, 12:35   #5
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

I think your car would be heaver on pads if it is an auto, does anyone else know?

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 14:01   #6
MartinW

MG TF LE500

The 190 has, like the 260, bigger discs/pads than the 75/160 and other variants.
Based on my use of the ZT, my rear brake discs/pads were replaced at 45k service and need doing again at 85k miles. The fronts had new pads but not discs, but really pads and disc need doing now.

I believe that as with tyre wear (typically 20k on the V6 ZT) the 1.8T has slightly better brake and tyre wear owing to the difference in weight. It's not a big difference but enough to make the 1.8T 160 a much more attractive option than the V6 version. By comparison my 75 1.8 did not need any attention to brakes in the period I owned it to 60k miles and averaged 30k+ miles on the 205 tyres.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 14:16   #7
The_Monk

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
The 190 has, like the 260, bigger discs/pads than the 75/160 and other variants.
Based on my use of the ZT, my rear brake discs/pads were replaced at 45k service and need doing again at 85k miles. The fronts had new pads but not discs, but really pads and disc need doing now.

I believe that as with tyre wear (typically 20k on the V6 ZT) the 1.8T has slightly better brake and tyre wear owing to the difference in weight. It's not a big difference but enough to make the 1.8T 160 a much more attractive option than the V6 version. By comparison my 75 1.8 did not need any attention to brakes in the period I owned it to 60k miles and averaged 30k+ miles on the 205 tyres.
I have clocked up no where near that kind of millage. I think it has just passed 20k. Did you do the change yourself? I wondering if getting the calipers right off for cleaning and painting is easy enough? and what it involves.
Old 25th November 2006, 16:31   #8
MartinW

MG TF LE500

So far I have left it in the hand sof the dealership doing the service, but I intend to do it myself at the next service to mitigate the cost of the cambelt/waterpump change also due! Sorry, I can't answer your query. From experience of pad changes on other Rovers, I'd say the easiest is to leave the callipers attached to avoid the necessity to bleed after completion, unless, a full fluid change was on the cards.
Are you brush or aerosol painting your callipers?
I am also keen to give mine a clean/paint and add some MG decals that I have seen on Ebay.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 16:38   #9
The_Monk

-

I was going to brish paint them whilst attached to the car. However I thought that removing them would enable me to clean them better and get a better finish on them with the spray can. It could also be done in the warmth of the home which always a bonus!