Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2012, 18:30   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Mobile phone question

My contract (24 months) with T-Mobile has just run out. I now have an option to change my plan, upgrade my phone on the same plan, or just to leave things as they are with a discount on my monthly payments

Thing is, I quite fancy a change from my HTC HD2 to a Samsung Galaxy S2 (which is the same as Gill has). Now if I do this via the upgrade offers that T-Mobile are offering, it'll cost me £189 for the phone and then monthly payments as now. However, if I start a new contract with T-Mobile, I can get the same monthly deal with a free phone!

If I did this, and ended the current contract, could I then get them to swap the number over, as I'd quite like to keep the one I have, or would they be likely to say no as the offer I have seen is a "new customer contract" (NB, it doesn't say this anywhere, but it's what I am guessing!) I would ask them, but they are a bit blood-from-a-stone by email, and I don't want to phone them as it always takes forever to get a straight answer!

(It would be easier if someone else did a good deal on the Samsung, as I would just change providers!)
Old 4th April 2012, 18:33   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You can't port your number to the same network - you need to move it to another network then back in.

Retentions may well be able to match or better the deal you've already seen.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 18:35   #3
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

At the end of your current contract, ring up - you really need to speak to a real person - ask to be put through to cancellations and once you get there, explain what you want. Always works for me - they tend to give you the same deal as a new customer then.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 18:42   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks both

Been trying to do this by email, but come up against a brick wall. Looks like I'll have to phone someone....
Old 4th April 2012, 19:04   #5
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Thanks both

Been trying to do this by email, but come up against a brick wall. Looks like I'll have to phone someone....
If you don't get anywhere you could port to a payg on a different network. Then take the deal you want and port back.
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 14:03   #6
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN190 View Post
If you don't get anywhere you could port to a payg on a different network. Then take the deal you want and port back.
So I could get a cheap PAYG, end the current T-mobile contract, port the number to the PAYG, start a new T-mobile contract, then port the number to that?
Old 5th April 2012, 16:26   #7
jonno12
Posted a thing or two

rover75 saloon connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
My contract (24 months) with T-Mobile has just run out. I now have an option to change my plan, upgrade my phone on the same plan, or just to leave things as they are with a discount on my monthly payments

Thing is, I quite fancy a change from my HTC HD2 to a Samsung Galaxy S2 (which is the same as Gill has). Now if I do this via the upgrade offers that T-Mobile are offering, it'll cost me £189 for the phone and then monthly payments as now. However, if I start a new contract with T-Mobile, I can get the same monthly deal with a free phone!

If I did this, and ended the current contract, could I then get them to swap the number over, as I'd quite like to keep the one I have, or would they be likely to say no as the offer I have seen is a "new customer contract" (NB, it doesn't say this anywhere, but it's what I am guessing!) I would ask them, but they are a bit blood-from-a-stone by email, and I don't want to phone them as it always takes forever to get a straight answer!

(It would be easier if someone else did a good deal on the Samsung, as I would just change providers!)
personally I would go into my nearest T-mobile shop and see what the best deal is, I always go in to orange and never dissapointed. prefer face to face so no misunderstandingjonno
jonno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 04:41   #8
Loves to post

Black ROVER 75

I have just shifted two of our families contracts to Tesco mobile (they use the O2 network)
Smart phone..250 mins, 5000 texts and 500 mb of internet for £7.50 inc vat per month.. you cant go wrong. Orange wanted £20 for a similar deal even when I told them we'd be going to Tesco.
..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 09:13   #9
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
I have just shifted two of our families contracts to Tesco mobile (they use the O2 network)
Smart phone..250 mins, 5000 texts and 500 mb of internet for £7.50 inc vat per month.. you cant go wrong. Orange wanted £20 for a similar deal even when I told them we'd be going to Tesco.
Blimey! That sounds good....

What model of phone?
Old 6th April 2012, 10:50   #10
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
You can't port your number to the same network - you need to move it to another network then back in.
Intrigued, why do you think that.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote